Wading shoes, plan B?

SmileDoc

Wading shoes, plan B?

Post by SmileDoc »

I like paddling to a great shoreline, slipping out and then wading it.
I love my Simms lace-up wading boots, but I want to get a friend started less expensively. I thought that high top tennis shoes, old Converse style, would be good especially when sinking into softer mud.

Your thoughts?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Wading shoes, plan B?

Post by karstopo »

That's what we did many moons ago. The grommets deteriorate pretty quick and the glues they use might too. The zip up neoprene ones are cheap these days. Are you worried they may pull off? I got some Patagonia salt lace up wading boots cheap on Sierra Trading Post, but that's hit and miss.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Academy sells canvas style wade shoes that are reasonably priced, easy to use and that might last a season or two (the buckles tend to rust out after a while). They also have several zip up neoprene style boots that would offer more protection (which you'd need if you fish areas with say oysters). Just make sure to get a size or two larger if you're gonna use waders.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Probably more important is getting a neoprene sock. I especially love the Simm Guard sock with is a thicken neoprene. It will keep all those tiny shell fragments out of his socks. Those little shell pieces can rub your ankles raw. Well worth the $30 for them no matter what shoe one goes with. Frogg togg makes one that's a little thinner for a lot less.. either one will do.
Coasting thru

Post by Coasting thru »

I used to go the old running shoe route... I would highly recommend the $20 or $30 pair of neoprene wade boots from Academy. Just rinse them with fresh water, just as anything else, and should last a while... just my .02
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I would be surprised if a pair of Hodgeman neoprene boots with the zipper cost much more, if any more, than a pair of cheap lace up boots, but they are easier to get on and take off (I hate untying wet knots), easier to clean, and unless you spend a ton of time on hard shell, will last longer.

I have poor-boy waded as many miles of the Gulf Coast as anybody. I went from old "Chucks" (high-top basketball shoes), to lace up canvas, to neoprene booties, to Everlast boots with ray guards. For late fall through early spring (few if any stingrays), I still prefer the neoprene booties. They are cheap, comfortable and easy to clean. Canvas will quickly get to a point where they smell like crap, the laces and grommets are degraded and they are heavy (at least the affordable brands are heavy). The only downside to the neoprene booties is that hard shell will cut the side fairly easily and if you spend a lot of time wading hard shell, the souls will get worn down sooner than the hard rubber souls of a canvas boot.
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

Old tennis shoes/crosstrainers work for me. If you don't have any, Good Will does.
HULKHOGANLOGAN

Post by HULKHOGANLOGAN »

Old work boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mandel

Post by mandel »

I use the Korkers and some wading socks and they work great.
WhiteRice

Post by WhiteRice »

Magellan Outdoors Men's Neoprene Wading Boots for $19.99 at Academy.

They are not the most "thrilling" looking boots but they stay on tight, zipper is heavy and the sole will handle shell fairly well.
Makzym0s

Post by Makzym0s »

I've got to second the neoprene socks. Helps keep feet a little more warm on days with chilly water. I wear them with my Columbia drainmakers as well as my Magellan flats boots
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Makzym0s wrote:I've got to second the neoprene socks. Helps keep feet a little more warm on days with chilly water. I wear them with my Columbia drainmakers as well as my Magellan flats boots
If warmth is what you want, I would suggest you try polypropylene socks. They come in different plies (thicknesses) and I have 2-ply and 4-ply to cover the range of temps.

Besides being an excellent insulator and wicking moisture better than anything but wool (which can be itchy), they don't itch and are soft and provide excellent cushion. Polypropylene socks are most often found where they sell hiking boots and socks. I have neoprene socks too, and I use them during the summer with my ray-guard boots. These are warmer.
Chiken97

Post by Chiken97 »

I have also had great luck with the Magellan neoprene zippered wade boots. I've had mine 2 years now. I wear them just about every time out. Mind you that is only once a month & I don't wade for extended periods . I don't rinse them or give them the extra care the rest of my gear gets but they have handled it fine. I will definitely be buying another pair when these finally give up.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

HULKHOGANLOGAN wrote:Old work boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:mrgreen:
always turn my old work boots into wade boots before i findly throw them away ... :mrgreen:
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Main reason for the neoprene socks is to keep those little bitty shards of shell out of your socks, feet, ankles, etc etc. soooo much more comfortable with out that **** chaffing your skin away.
SmileDoc

Post by SmileDoc »

As usual, thanks for all the great advice. He was leaning towards a Simms zipup boot and a neoprene sock, but I advised him to just go with Magellan's from Academy (and the sock) for now. It will save him a bit a money. And if he gets hooked and finds he is on shell a lot more, he can upgrade to a firmer soled boot.

thanks all!!!
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Glad you found the information you were looking for Mr. Smile Doc.

One other comment related to the canvas shoes. They open up wider than the zip ups making them very easy to put on. I have a wide foot with a high instep and find that some zip ups are simply harder to put on - especially when trying to put them on over wader booties or neoprene shocks. Not a big deal if you increase the size of your zip up boots but another thing to consider.