Rollover Pass

thinshavings

Rollover Pass

Post by thinshavings »

The court hearing to close Rollover is Wednesday at the Galveston county court house.
If you support keeping the pass open show up and voice support.
lagavulin62

Re: Rollover Pass

Post by lagavulin62 »

What did they decide? I googled but all I found was last years news.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

It's closing!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Jedi wrote:It's closing!
While I certainly had some great days of fishing there in the 80s and 90s, I am glad to hear this mess is over with. Every person I know with a good grasp of the situation as well as a couple of fishing guides who fish East Bay a lot, this will be good for the bay in a lot of ways. Not good for the people that like to sit and fish bulkheads, but fishing from that pier (should they actually build it) will be great.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

I agree Yaklash it's long overdue.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Glad they are doing something now instead of dragging it out.

Just have to figure out when that next "big storm" will be coming through to open the pass back up after they build the park and pier......hehe
dr.flatfish

Post by dr.flatfish »

I've read some stories from old salts that fished East Bay before the pass was dug. Those reports told of how pristine the bay was in those days. After the pass was dug all the new flow of fresh sea water changed the salinity which changed the complexion of the bay. So maybe closing the pass is a good thing. Just saying.
CroakerChoker

Re: RE: Re: Rollover Pass

Post by CroakerChoker »

Yaklash wrote:
Jedi wrote:It's closing!
While I certainly had some great days of fishing there in the 80s and 90s, I am glad to hear this mess is over with. Every person I know with a good grasp of the situation as well as a couple of fishing guides who fish East Bay a lot, this will be good for the bay in a lot of ways. Not good for the people that like to sit and fish bulkheads, but fishing from that pier (should they actually build it) will be great.
Benefit of the pass for the bank fisherman is taking advantage of the tide movement through the pass where the fish can access the bay as well as the open water. Pier won't provide this flow, so would expect the variety of what goes through the pass would diminish great. IMHO the money should be spent on a jetty and improving hwy 87 where it turns to High Island.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

If i remember it will close its self if left alone ??
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: RE: Re: Rollover Pass

Post by Jedi »

larry long shadows wrote:If i remember it will close its self if left alone ??
If they built a bulkhead on the ICW side it would close itself.

tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Another power grab. Seems the ones wanting it closed live elsewhere. A pretty pier to fish beachfront? Will be nothing more than a tourist haunt. Will never be productive like the pass with its ebb and flow. Then what? Maybe a Joes crab shack and a Mcdonalds for the fat. lazy Mericans. Hell yea! Its all about the dollar. SAD
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:Another power grab. Seems the ones wanting it closed live elsewhere. A pretty pier to fish beachfront? Will be nothing more than a tourist haunt. Will never be productive like the pass with its ebb and flow. Then what? Maybe a Joes crab shack and a Mcdonalds for the fat. lazy Mericans. Hell yea! Its all about the dollar. SAD
The power grab is that tax dollars are spent every few years to dredge out the sediment that threatens to clog the ICW. Not because McDonalds is knocking on the door :roll: It's a very expensive half mile of what is a very important waterway for all of our economy. That affects us all the way up and down the coast and all the way across the state. For what? A place that benefits a very few who do little more than trash the place up and very little for that local economy. There are a couple of businesses that scrape by there. Can't imagine they'll do any worse if there's a pier.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

Well said Yaklash. I do live very close to and fish the area often. That's why I'm for the closure. The fishing in East Bay will get better after closing it. The seagrass will start growing again, the water will become clearer. The only fishing in that area that will suffer is during the flounder run. There are plenty of other places to fish that.

1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

The power grab is that tax dollars are spent every few years to dredge out the sediment that threatens to clog the ICW. Not because McDonalds is knocking on the door :roll: It's a very expensive half mile of what is a very important waterway for all of our economy. That affects us all the way up and down the coast and all the way across the state. For what? A place that benefits a very few who do little more than trash the place up and very little for that local economy. There are a couple of businesses that scrape by there. Can't imagine they'll do any worse if there's a pier.
Nailed it! As always, great post.
tastywavescoolbuzz

The Mcdonalds reference was sarcasm :roll: . Nice reach though. Time will tell. As for the trash issue, it is basically the same as every other place to fish. People of ALL ethnic groups litter our waters. I have seen bay fisherman, waders, kayakers and offshore anglers throw their crap in the water. A lot. Dredging accounts for a small percentage of funds compared to what it costs us taxpayers to get the Orange Clown to his tee times. In 10 years I will say told you. :lol:
tastywavescoolbuzz

Yak, just wondering if you want your go to fishing area to disappear? Or your land seized? But wait , its not you. :roll:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:Yak, just wondering if you want your go to fishing area to disappear? Or your land seized? But wait , its not you. :roll:
That 1/4 mile of ICW at Rollover is probably the 2nd most expensive stretch of the ICW to maintain in the state of Texas (after the ICW/Colorado River intersection). And it's more about the restoration of the bay anyway, for me and many others. There are other places to fish. I had not heard that the owner of the land thru which the pass cuts was having their land confiscated. If true, that would be a concern for me because I am all about property owners' rights.

And finally, don't talk to me about "it's not you."

I have indeed seen my access eliminated to many walk-in wade spots over the last 30 years. Several in Trinity, 5 or so in the Kemah/Seabrook/San Leon areas. 10 in West Bay alone - my home waters. Three of those in West Bay were definitely Go To spots for me and damn better places to fish than Rollover Pass 9 days out of 10. And the reason my access was cut off had nothing to do with the restoration of a Bay to its natural form or eliminating an ongoing maintenance issue on the ICW. It was because the tax paying, politically connected residents and land owners near those spots didn't like the riff-raff like me parking on the end of their street and catching fish. Oh no...it had nothing to do with me (because I befriended every one of them I ever met). It was because of dumb ass people that would trash the places up, block driveways and park their vehicles so far out in the street that only one car could get by. One that was shut down was because some rich C&W singer built a couple of houses without Army Corps of Engineers permits, filling in wetlands, and his forced wetlands mitigation blocked walk-in access to one of the best fishing spots in West Bay.

And Sportsman's Road isn't far from being completely shut down for the same reasons and that will leave me with only 3 walk-in wading spots in West Bay other than SLP. Any shutting down of a walk-in spot = a shut down Kayak launch, so you aren't going to get much sympathy for your position on a TKF website.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Damn! Don't get your lil pink panties in a twist. In the last 40 or so years, I too have had many great fisheries closed, shut down, sold, or developed for Mcmansions. I am glad you don't fish Rollover or East Bay 9 out of 10 times. We sure don't need any more old salts whining about. And finally(which should be at the end of your rant), this man does not need sympathy from virtual TKFers. I don't spend the majority of my time on fishing sites, I fish. Bash away expert , your faithful too. :dance: :clap: