David Stocker book and other redfish noob resources

Luckee

David Stocker book and other redfish noob resources

Post by Luckee »

Coming to Austin 4/21-30 and really, really hoping to paddle the salt and fish reds on one or both of the weekends.

Looks like the tide movements are modest the 4/22 weekend, and bigger spring tide movements on 4/29, so I'm thinking the odds of good conditions -- excluding the important wind factor -- are better 4/29?

But what do I know . . . I did get a cool little book called "Fly Casting the Lighthouse Lakes" by David Stocker, which is basically a running narrative of looking for sight fishing down there. That sure sounds awesome if and when it happens.

For a noob like myself that's a nice stretch goal, and I will rig up an 8wt in anything less than 15 knot winds. But I'm open to trolling a plug, casting a plastic shrimp, fishing deeper water, whatever will work.

If you have any advice or reference for someone in my position, please let me know :)
TexAg09

Re: David Stocker book and other redfish noob resources

Post by TexAg09 »

We'll be going down to Port Aransas on the 28th (From the Austin area) to camp out and fish for the weekend. The wind looks absolutely brutal, but we don't get a lot of opportunities so we're going anyway. Brown & Root is just right across the road from Lighthouse Lakes so you can fish either side depending on the wind. (It's supposed to be out of the S on Saturday and the N on Sunday.) There is also the Wilson's Cut area that is easy to launch from. All of these places are on Google Maps if you need directions, or you can also PM me. We've been going down there for a few years now, and I've done ok but not great. I've never done that well when the wind is 20+mph though, so I can't really offer much advice other than good luck! However, I just watched the redfish TroutSupport DVD, so I'm hoping that will help. It had some good insights.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: David Stocker book and other redfish noob resources

Post by Yaklash »

Trolling plugs in shallow water is either going to get hung up or likely be ineffective. Spoons, paddle-tails and floater/divers like a Hunchback might be good. But trolling is not something I have done in the bays more than a couple of times. Those times have been while making time, getting from point A to point B, in a hurry.