Topwater rod power/action

scotty2380

Topwater rod power/action

Post by scotty2380 »

What action works best for topwater casting rods?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Topwater rod power/action

Post by texnomad »

I have better luck with a slightly stiffer than soft tip. But the experts on here will give you more experienced information than I can.
scotty2380

Post by scotty2380 »

texnomad wrote:I have better luck with a slightly stiffer than soft tip. But the experts on here will give you more experienced information than I can.
Would that mean you'd prefer a medium power to a ML power?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Mr preference:
6' 6" to 6' 9"
Medium Power
Fast Action (meaning the rod flexes in the last 1/4 or so of the rod)
Line weight in the 8-15 lbs class
Lure rating in the 1/4 - 3/4 oz class

My topwater rod is the Waterloo Slam Mag, pricey, but worth it.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Neumie explained what I meant perfectly. I would also advise to try out others rods to see what fits your style best.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

You can also go a little lower. It's ok to throw, especially smaller tops on a ML 6'6 - 6'9 1/8th to 5/8th. You just won't be able to cast quite as far.. maybe shave 5-10 yards off, so no big deal. I have one rod with a M 6'6 that is spec'd pretty close to the above and it is a great topwater rod.. but sometimes I'll still go with the lighter stick and throw one knocker and fat boys.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

The only way to go totally wrong is to not have the fun of using topwater lures fresh and salt.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I have had 2 rods in my life that were built or chosen as topwater rods. The one I bought off the shelf is a 6'6" similar in weight to what Neumie described above. The other was a custom build I got a loooong time ago. The custom is 6'-2" medium weight with a fast tip. The rod builder (Red Stovall) advised all of the specs on the rod. He had built some topwater rods, mostly for serious saltwater pluggers, and he had good reasons for all of the recommendations. As far as length, I would not go so far down as 6'-2" again.

Side-note: I broke about 4" off of the tip of my Laguna Solo (pure operator error) and just so happened to be staying that night at the same place as Captain Tommy Countz, who is associated with Laguna. I'd met him before and he was real nice about it. He took the broken rod and got me a replacement for a very reasonable price. But he added a new guide to the tip to my broken rod and has been using it as a topwater rod since then. He said he likes 6'-2" and even 6'-)" rods for topwaters. Go figure....
JMS

Post by JMS »

Neumie wrote:Mr preference:
6' 6" to 6' 9"
Medium Power
Fast Action (meaning the rod flexes in the last 1/4 or so of the rod)
Line weight in the 8-15 lbs class
Lure rating in the 1/4 - 3/4 oz class

My topwater rod is the Waterloo Slam Mag, pricey, but worth it.
Agree my Rod is a Hookspit Zepher. You'll wear yourself out walking the dog with Med or Med light action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I could not remember what power rating or action for a topwater rod so I bought a rod made for topwater lures. You can pick up a fishing rod like I described and note the action, length and power.