Bird Island Basin

Michael Meyer

Bird Island Basin

Post by Michael Meyer »

I live in Corpus Christi. My wife, my grown son and I all like to fish for reds, specks, flounder and black drum in the inshore waters around Corpus. I have also been looking for a place where we could fish and be joined for the day by my son's wife and three children (a daughter who is nearing 8 years old - but who thinks she is nearing 18 years old - and a son and daughter (twins) who are three years old). If we find the place it will need to be a sandy site where the kids can play in the water and in the sand and we can grill a hamburger/hot dog lunch on our portable outdoor grill. It also needs to be a place where we can launch our kayaks without too much of a hassle (and hopefully catch fish!

I think we have found a good place which meets these requirements. It is at the end of the west fork of Bird Island Basin Road on North Padre Island. I have attached a Google Maps screenshot of this area.

If you are familiar with this area would you please let me know if it fits the bill? Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Area of the Laguna Madre which looks good
Area of the Laguna Madre which looks good
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Bird Island Basin

Post by texnomad »

It is usually crowded there and very tight side to side with campers. The water right in front is usually very nice and not too deep. There is only a vault toilet in the area and it is a good ways from the campers. You can just see in in the bottom of your pic. Beach area is basically nonexistent since it is only 3-5 feet from the campsite to the water most days. I think everything would be more pleasant at Malaquite and have the Gulf beach, flush toilets and cold water showers and some elbow room. Surf fishing would be my choice in that area for a family type gathering.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Yeah, it can get a little crowded as it's a popular windsurfing/snowbird destination. The waters immediately next to the parking area is very shallow , maybe knee deep before it drops off to 4-5 feet. It would be a good family area there's no surf to worry about. The fishing is decent to wading along the drop off or drifting with a kayak.
AcousticTennis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AcousticTennis »

If you get their early you might be lucky enough to get a table at the end of the parking lot. Bit more area to run around and further from where most of the wind surfers play. Bathrooms right there.