Hitting the Lights Friday 3/17

catastrophy

Hitting the Lights Friday 3/17

Post by catastrophy »

I will be heading down to the Galveston Causeway tomorrow for my first night trip of 2017. Wife hates when I go alone, looking for a partner to tag along and catch some fish. Ill be coming from the Katy area. Will likely hit some canals first to try and find some reds as I normally dont see any under the causeway lights. Will be out until probably 2 or 3 unless limited out. PM me if you want to tag along. Looking to duplicate or better some of the adventures below :)
Attachments
11745338_10101922899600925_2956512629665669012_n.jpg
11081291_10101749937987385_135645487334626358_n.jpg
10583783_10101756478100945_2116895062636613616_n.jpg
Last edited by catastrophy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hitting the Lights Friday 3/16

Post by kickingback »

Winds are gonna be 14 mph out of the SE out there on Friday. You sure you are going to the causeway? If I were you I would stay on the North side of Tiki and fish the canals and lights instead. Better conditions and you will not get "sloshed around".
Tide will be going out so the paddle tot he causeway should be OK but the wind will be pushing you back to the launch more.
Tide changes at 9 but the winds will still be high and from my experience out there the waves at 14 mph can splash over the sides of your yak A LOT!
Saturday may be your better bet.
Good luck
catastrophy

Post by catastrophy »

Thanks for the heads up...the winds at the causeway are rarely any fun. Thats why Ill be hitting some canals first, but I have an undisclosed location that produces better fish than Tiki for that ;-). Like I said...looking for someone to tag along and go somewhere other than Tiki to fish some green lights that rarely get hit.

Moonrise should be right around midnight, and the fish seem to really turn on right around then in those green lights.
lahai1dj

Post by lahai1dj »

Very cool and nice fish hauls. I'm planning to hit the lights tomorrow but I was looking at another place on Galveston. Currently, I'm going solo but I'm always up for company when night fishing. Are you open to fishing another canal community or are you set on Tiki?

David
Ph: 281-813-0542

catastrophy wrote:I will be heading down to the Galveston Causeway tomorrow for my first night trip of 2017. Wife hates when I go alone, looking for a partner to tag along and catch some fish. Ill be coming from the Katy area. Will likely hit some canals first to try and find some reds as I normally dont see any under the causeway lights. Will be out until probably 2 or 3 unless limited out. PM me if you want to tag along. Looking to duplicate or better some of the adventures below :)
catastrophy

Post by catastrophy »

Not Tiki, I have a private subdivision on the island that I go to. Tiki seems to have a lot of schoolies in it and I have always done better where I am going. Lots of reds in there too :D
El Gato Diablo

Re: Hitting the Lights Friday 3/17

Post by El Gato Diablo »

Interested.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

what time and launch point?
Floundapounda122

Post by Floundapounda122 »

Eckert bayou was great last night.... only caught one keeper red but I only fished for 10 minutes. Also scared some huge trout out. Of a light too. I'm talking about some 20+ inchers
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

catastrophy wrote:Thanks for the heads up...the winds at the causeway are rarely any fun. Thats why Ill be hitting some canals first, but I have an undisclosed location that produces better fish than Tiki for that ;-). Like I said...looking for someone to tag along and go somewhere other than Tiki to fish some green lights that rarely get hit.

Moonrise should be right around midnight, and the fish seem to really turn on right around then in those green lights.
You go last night? Was wondering if you normally launch at more than one location when you go out? I was thinking of tinkering around with this but hate loading and unloading. Maybe I'll try to go "ultra light" just the yak and two rods and box of lures and try launching in a few areas through the night. I love fishing from dusk to dawn and into the late morning. Always the best fishing during those hours I have found.
catastrophy

Post by catastrophy »

You go last night? Was wondering if you normally launch at more than one location when you go out? I was thinking of tinkering around with this but hate loading and unloading. Maybe I'll try to go "ultra light" just the yak and two rods and box of lures and try launching in a few areas through the night. I love fishing from dusk to dawn and into the late morning. Always the best fishing during those hours I have found.[/quote]

I did go. Met up with twofeet and hit a location on the island. Not a lot of lights there, but less dinks than what you see at Tiki or most of the other common night light canals. Only problem was the fish werent there at all lol. Started at 9:30 and went until about 12:30 and just never even saw any action. We managed a few small trout, I caught one at 19", and 2 keeper reds at 21" and 22". I must have caught 10 other reds between 15-18". Always a good time but the lights did not deliver like they normally do.
Txduckman

Post by Txduckman »

I am on vacation all next week and plan on hitting the lights and drum bay. i also live in Katy so let me know if you need a second.