Baytown Nurture Nature Festival - Volunteers and visitors welcome

Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Baytown Nurture Nature Festival - Volunteers and visitors welcome

Post by Chief Brody »

The fine folks (the Director is a TKF member) at the Baytown Nature Center are holding their annual festival in a few weeks, and have once again invited the members of TKF to come out and be a part of one of the most fun and free outdoor festivals in SE Texas.

The festival is on Saturday, April 8th from 10am to 4pm, and is free to all. Among the things to do are exhibits on reptiles, butterflies, a kid fish tank (no yaks allowed), demonstrations with birds of prey, crocodiles, snakes and more, inflatables, face painting, Texas Parks and Wildlife Archery tent, and outdoor kid challenge, and much more. If you haven't been, it really is a great way to spend a day outdoors, especially if you have kids along.

Historically we have had a few members from TKF set up their yaks and fishing gear in a sort of static display area, and spend the afternoon answering questions about kayaking and fishing, kayak fishing, kayaking, politics, the price of gasoline, fishing, how owning a floating plastic chair can change your life, and other issues that most of us only have a minimal actual knowledge of, and yet, the folks that are visiting the festival seem to enjoy it, and so the BNC keeps asking us back. Go figure.

If you would like to help out, and enjoy being a volunteer for a day (and get a free lunch!), please let me know. All that is required is that you bring your yak (and anything you want to rig it with), and be at the festival by 9:00 am or so. Feel free to bring the entire family - it's not like we are punching a clock out there, so you will have plenty of time to get around and check out all the exhibits. We have in the past arrived a couple of hours early and put the boats in the water for a little paddling time - it will just depend on the weather and how many folks want to do it.

If you don't want to volunteer, I want to encourage you to look at coming out for a great day in a really fantastic, unique park on the east side of Houston. If you haven't been to the Nature Center, you owe it to your self and to your kids to come check it out.

Feel free to pm me or leave a comment on here if you need more info.

thanks
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Baytown Nurture Nature Festival - Volunteers and visitors welcome

Post by Chief Brody »

Not much interest this year it seems -

if any of you have any questions about the festival, whether you want to volunteer or not just let me know.

hope to see you out there.
vampiro

Post by vampiro »

Willie (vampiro) here. Im planning to join the fun on the 20th put me on the list.
Hopelully Sandy will come to show us how to fish.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Hey Willie - good to hear - I'll fill you in on details when it gets a little closer.

thanks
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

I'll check with the wife and see if our schedule permits. If so, I will be happy to be out there. :)
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Nice - hope you can work it into the schedule!

let me know.
capt carl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by capt carl »

If i am not working i will be there and bring my PA 12 with Trolling motor.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Excellent - thanks Capt - appreciate it.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

Ok - last call for volunteers - anyone that wants to join us please let me know - pm is fine -

on another note - everyone is welcome to come out, the Festival has become quite a fun event for kids and adults alike. I'll post the flyer in a new thread. Weather looks to be excellent - it should be a great day to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Hope to see you folks there.
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Baytown Nurture Nature Festival - Volunteers and visitors welcome UPDATE

Post by Chief Brody »

We had terrific weather and over 5000 people come out for the festival on Saturday - special thanks to Vampiro (Willie) for working the entire time while I was running around doing the bidding of Yakke-T (Tracey). I think this is Willie's 4th or 5th year to volunteer - he is the man..
and here is The Man with Tracey
Resized_20170408_160451_resized.jpg
and a picture of the crowd with a giant gator in the background.
20170408_114235_resized.jpg
if you missed it this year, we hope to see you next year!
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

So, I think this is the third year I've wanted to go to this. Years 1 & 2, I had fishing tournaments. This year I had a volunteer duty at Star of Hope Mission downtown, painting clings and walls. Here's to hoping next year is the charm.