Mothershipping Kayak to Gulf Coast Back Lakes & Marsh

goldspoon

Mothershipping Kayak to Gulf Coast Back Lakes & Marsh

Post by goldspoon »

I am interested in learning from others experiences on how best to access marsh on Texas Gulf Coast using a powerboat to mothership a kayak. In many cases the smaller lakes and marsh I like to fish are too far to paddle to.
Would appreciate hearing from those who regularly ferry their kayak to remote areas like this.

How do you get the yak out of and then back into the boat by yourself, over the side, across transom etc. ?
What are the practical limits on kayak size to haul in a typical 22 foot bayboat?
Have you had any issues with people bothering your mothership while away in the yak?
What are the other key issues to consider when setting up for this approach ?

Appreciate any experience you can share on this topic.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Mothershipping Kayak to Gulf Coast Back Lakes & Marsh

Post by karstopo »

I've done this in my neighbor's Blue Wave. I think it's about the same size as yours. I haven't done it solo. My kayak is 14' and fits on one side of the center consol and his WS ride 11.5 on the other. It hasn't been too tough getting them in and out. I use a shock cord to hold the kayak in place then pull it aboard from the boat. It's a little tight moving around in the boat with two kayaks aboard, but doable.

No ones messed with boat while out in the kayaks. I take my valuables with me on the kayak. It's a great way to cover some water and have the best of both worlds. We've had great days out when doing this. His boat has been kinda on the fritz so we haven't been out mother shipping in a while.
KingO'Dinks
Location: Motorized OK Trident/Manta Ray/Center console/Austin/Seadrift

Post by KingO'Dinks »

I haul 2 kayaks in an 18' CC, one a 12' Manta Ray, the other a 13.5' OK trident. Once in the water, the yaks are easy to load, and unload over the side, although as mentioned, there isn't any walk around space, and you are committed to fishing only out of the yaks. Never had anyone mess with the boat, that might be a bad kind of karma that won't wash off (:
Ken J
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ken J »

The PACK Group Mother Boats / Water Taxi’s often.
Ken J
Attachments
2007%20Panther%20Point%20013.jpg
IslandShuttle.jpg
Mother Duck.png
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I've also done a couple of SUPs like that. Going solo you will just have to figure out a way to get them in.

You might be able to just pull the yak in over the transom or
Starting with the yak on the side of the boat, you might have to lift the front up high and secure that then return to the back of the boat and lift the back end into the boat at that point the yak should just rotate and fall into place. You'll just have to experiment, which you could do at the boat ramp probably. Get your cordage or tie downs or bungees worked out in advance and try several loading methods.
goldspoon

Post by goldspoon »

Really appreciate the insights of this forum.
Thanks for sharing your experience .
Very helpful.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

I've got a FX12 that fits well along side my cc Jon boat, thinking of getting a SUP to add so we can walk around the other side.

I treated it like wade fishing and parked the boat along a shoreline and took the kill lanyard with me. If they want to steal it they're gonna have to pull it and hopefully TPWD can catch them before they get too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I saw the pic towing the yaks. I have wondered about towing my Pescador behind my 12 foot skiff. It would be empty(no yakker aboard), and I wonder if it would track O.K., or would it tend to skitter about and possibly get sideways and flip? I had an inflatable flip behind my sailboat once in the Bahamas, and it wasn't fun fixing everything that got messed up. I figure if I towed my yak, it would be completely empty of all gear. Maybe a small drift sock behind it?
Anyone have experience doing this?
Texasjim
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Yea and like the pic showed that's about as fast as you can go to get where your going. Hauling in the boat works best

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Yeah, CC: My kayak's a half-foot longer than and almost as wide as my skiff. No way it's gonna ride in the skiff. Maybe I'll give it a try in the flat water and see what happens.

Don't worry---I ALWAYS wear my PFD if the skiff's outboard is running. Thanks!

TexasJim
Ken J
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Ken J »

First kayak needs to be positioned behind the BP prop wash, you will need to adjust the tow line as the PB picks up speed. Kayak will fishtail / wobble and turtle if in the prop wash. It goes without saying, strip kayak of all gear and store in hull. Kayaks in tow at about 20 mph.

Ken J
Attachments
MI14.jpg
MI14.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
MI13.jpg
MI13.jpg (30.51 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
Tow.jpg
Tow.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 3251 times
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Dern KenJ that'll work! Been planning a youth group trip to matagorda island to camp and fish, that will free up some deck space

Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

zkrolczyk95

Post by zkrolczyk95 »

Do you guys think it would be affective to use a jet ski to mother ship two kayaks at once?
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

If you pulled them like Ken J posted it might work, especially if pulled inline and not side by side. Test before loading!