This is BULL***T affects all of us one way or the other with fishing.

flykool25

This is BULL***T affects all of us one way or the other with fishing.

Post by flykool25 »

Please take some time and watch the videos below . I got this email with the video link from CCA . Makes me mad . you can form your own opinions.

below is a copy of the email I received .
Please take a few minutes to view Episode 2 'Sea Lords' Hook a Congressional Reformer and Episode 3 Sea Lords and the Secret Vote that made them Rich by Chief Investigative Reporter Lee Zurik of Fox 8 News in New Orleans. This is episode two of a five part series, uncovering a system that allows a group of private individuals to profit from our public Red Snapper resources not only in Louisiana, but in all gulf coast states including Texas. Please share this with others who may be interested.

http://www.fox8live.com/clip/13089363/z ... l-reformer

http://www.fox8live.com/story/34468938/ ... -them-rich
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: This is BULL***T affects all of us one way or the other with fishing.

Post by Kayak Kid »

I would be curious to see the other side of the story as it relates to the conservation and protection of the fish. Yet, there seems no doubt that we are looking at a pretty good example of how money influences the decisions of our congressmen.

I learned many years ago that political contributions are extremely effective in promoting positive outcomes for a business. And, it doesn't matter whether or not those outcomes are fair, harmful, or illogical.

Many of us voted in the past presidential election to end such corruption (and, it is corruption). It appears, however, that it might be a lost cause.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I agree! I have wondered why the Texas State Waters Red Snapper limit is 4 per day, and the federal limit is 2 per day, along with a very short season. Now we know why. The Feds are giving the few commercial fish companies a big advantage, so they get rich and can keep contributing to the politicians! Like they say, there are two things you don't want to see being made: sausage and law.
Seems like there isn't a chance of reversing this situation. Friends used to tell me, "This place will never change!" My reply was: "Yes it will! It'll get worse." The tail wags the dog.

I went snapper fishing offshore last Friday. I caught nine! The boat crew said there are TOO MANY snapper: They're eating all the bait that the other species need to survive.

TexasJim
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Buddy Guindon, the patriarch of Katie's Seafood, the subject of a Nat Geo show called Big Fish, Texas; the guy that controls one of the largest "blocks" of fish in the Gulf of Mexico, would have us believe that all offshore recreational anglers are selfish, rich people who would have decimated the population years ago if not for him. That he has single handedly "saved" the snapper population from the brink of extinction, and that he is struggling to feed his family. As far as I can tell, he did one good thing, which was come up with a tagging system to inventory and keep track of very ounce of commercially sold seafood that comes from the Gulf. The rest; painting all of us as rich selfish A-holes and himself as a starving savior, is all BS.
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Follow the money. As always you will find it in the politicians(R) pocket.
Green29man

Re: RE: Re: This is BULL***T affects all of us one way or the other with fishing.

Post by Green29man »

tastywavescoolbuzz wrote:Follow the money. As always you will find it in the politicians(R) pocket.
Or a strippers g-string

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
tastywavescoolbuzz

Post by tastywavescoolbuzz »

Kayak Kid wrote:I would be curious to see the other side of the story as it relates to the conservation and protection of the fish. Yet, there seems no doubt that we are looking at a pretty good example of how money influences the decisions of our congressmen.

I learned many years ago that political contributions are extremely effective in promoting positive outcomes for a business. And, it doesn't matter whether or not those outcomes are fair, harmful, or illogical.

Many of us voted in the past presidential election to end such corruption (and, it is corruption). It appears, however, that it might be a lost cause.
With due respect, the person voted in was the last person to end corruption. Yes, it will get worse. :shock:
Arreflections@live.com

Post by Arreflections@live.com »

How dare you talk about the emperor who isn't wearing any clothes! Or are you talking about the Elephant in the room? ;)
BeachAggie

Post by BeachAggie »

I've worked in this industry on both the recreational and commercial sides. It definitely made those on the commercial side rich. It could have been an attempt to regulate the population but if you ask any biologist familiar with red snapper we have no clue what the population is. Anyone that says differently is full of it. In one trip on a commercial snapper boat with 3 of us on board we killed more fish than the Galveston Party Boats (who I also worked for) who take 100 people out every day of the season and limit out with 200 fish everyday do in almost 2 weeks. I've worked it out and in 40 days of fishing by Galveston Party Boats they would kill as much as 3 commercial snapper trips with 8000 lb of ice space.

Snapper populations are super healthy right now. If you ever go out and don't catch a limit fire the captain. Everyone hits stuff inside 30 miles so it takes longer to get a limit there but outside of 30 miles it literally takes one or 2 drops to get your 2 fish (ok realistically 5 to 10 drops)

TexasJim I will let you know that those state water snapper are considered caught and are included in coming up with the federal regulations. I don't think anyone north of Corpus Christi ever catches state water snapper unless they know something the rest of us don't.

Yaklash you said it. Buddy has made millions...
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I have found through out my life a couple things hold true no matter what the subject.
As stated before, follow the money.
Those that scream and point the most are moving the investigation elsewhere, ie they have the most to hide.
We need facts! Can't argue with facts.
Cooler heads prevail.
Its all about the money.
I laugh when those that have the most to gain talk about regulating their own.
Lets not let our Red Snapper population disappear again. Now that they have made a comeback, lets maintain the Red Snapper population at its current level.
The funny thing about commercial fishing is its because the public wants the product.
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

I'm hoping somebody can help answer this question.

How does the red snapper commercial fishing industry help increase the fishery/population?

I watched every episode of Big Fish, TX and heard Buddy Guindon talk over and over again about how they brought back the red snapper fishery, practically from extinction. From what I know, commercial fishing takes and takes, so what do they put back? Is their contribution through tax dollars, in which it goes back to the gulf in the ways of reef projects and etc?

All I know is when I do get the chance to hit the offshore rigs, the snappers are so thick, that's all you'll catch! So if I miss that one weekend a year when I can legally keep 2 fish in the federal waters, I'll never be able to keep snapper.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

There will always be two sides. The ones that apply themselves and their skills to catch and provide, and the ones that depend on others doing it for them. I believe that most TKF members enjoy and pride themselves in the catching and preparation of the fish for themselves, family, and friends. Some just for the sport (CPR).
On the other hand,,, you have the ones that would rather frequent the seafood counter/restaurant for their fish because they have no desire to provide for themselves and would rather that others do it for them. That's fine, it's their choice. It's seems that fisherman are significantly outnumbered by these folks based on the supply and demand of commercial sales.
By no means should the commercial fishing industry have any influence or governing rights over what does not rightfully belong to them in the first place. But when politics and money saturate anything, the purpose and outcome are always the same... to fill the pockets of the few.
Seldom do I ever buy fish from a store, or a restaurant. It's more fun to catch it anyway...

Just my two cents... ok, maybe a nickle.

Wayne