Anyone using a Garmin Striker 4?

TexasJim

Anyone using a Garmin Striker 4?

Post by TexasJim »

I need a depthsounder. I have never used any kind of fish finder. I usually fish in water from 1 to nine feet, in the flats around Rockport. I'm not sure a fish finder would help much. I mainly need to know when I get to a drop-off or change in depth. Sometimes, I can SEE the bottom, other times not. I don't need charts, and a GPS would be nice, but not a real requirement. I have a 12 foot yak and a 12 foot powered skiff (with trolling motor) to use one on.
The Garmin Striker 4 looks to be a great bang-for-the-buck unit. It has color display and GPS. Being retired, $120+ is a major outlay for me. But, the other brands' cheap units don't have as many features. Any feedback on this unit?
Or, does anyone have a small, low-end unit(even grey-scale) that would do what I need, for sale cheap?
I would appreciate your feedback on my applications and your experiences with fish finders. Thanks,
TexasJim
Grier_M

Re: Anyone using a Garmin Striker 4?

Post by Grier_M »

Yes this is a great unit used it for years the only thing is it doesn't have side view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I bought the Hummingbird pirhana max4 for a hundred dollars at gander mountain.
http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/pro ... &i=1017719
No GPS, no side imaging, no down imaging (tho you can get that for 50 bucks more). Just a depth/fish finder. Cheap, easy to install, simple to operate. It fit all over my requirements, lol.
Oh, and it's in color, too!
I've had mine for about a year a d love it.

Kirk B.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Thanks for the response, Grier_M: I suspect the Striker 4 would work for me, and side view in 3 feet of water couldn't be much of a letdown!

TexasJim
jtharp723

Post by jtharp723 »

I have the striker 4, used it for about a year and really like it. It doesn't do background maps but I knew that before I bought it, and the waypoint marking is very nice. Color display is easy to see and shows up well even on sunny days. I have mine set up with a through the hull transducer arrangement and it works very well.