Churchill Bayou Trip 2/18

Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Churchill Bayou Trip 2/18

Post by Music Man »

Participated in the J.R. Wagoner Benefit tourney Saturday with a good friend and my two boys. We decided to take his boat rather than our kayaks. Good thing since there was so much fog and careless boaters. I guess fog is nature's yellow light - you know...go faster. It was bad enough that they made no effort to reduce wake when passing kayackers, but going full throttle when visibility was 50 - 150 yards is insane. If they don't follow common sense safety precautions do they follow our game laws???

Rant over, report now...

Even with the fog, Christmas Bay and Churchill Bayou were beautiful. Almost glass. We fished the reef that runs along Christmas with nothing but scenery for our efforts (I'll take that). Moving into Churchill there were many kayackers so we kept moving (slowly while being blown past by other boaters).

My buddy caught his typical stingray, some whiting and black drum, and a flounder that made it to 14" when you pushed on him a little (released it).

I caught some undersized black drum and sheephead. See pics below. Would have more but I was busy doing a population study on whiting and couldn't always get to my camera.

Others seemed to be doing much better. Spoke with two kayakers (both who managed not to be ran over by PB's) who both had a big string of specs.

A great day in nature and with great people.

Nathan
Attachments
Son #2's rat red. Small but great fun!
Son #2's rat red. Small but great fun!
Son #1's keeper spec
Son #1's keeper spec
Son #1's Sheephead
Son #1's Sheephead
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Churchill Bayou Trip 2/18

Post by kickingback »

Looks like they had fun catching anything. Glad you got out in this nice fishing conditions.
Sorry about the PB's Sucks sometimes. I bring a loud radio and if I see the A holes on the water later I get as close as I can to fish and turn up 94.5 real loud and sit there and fish. If they try to say something to me I ignore them acting like I cannot hear them with the music. Or I try to catch a nice big one real close to them and release it afterwards. My rant. Over now. Trump's rant is catchy ain't it?! LOL
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

They sure did. The actions of other adults gave us an opportunity to talk about courtesy and respect to others. Adults seem to forget that there are young people always watching us.

I have never seen a game warden on the water in the West Bay area (I seem to have my license checked every time I get on Lake Fayette). Are they around much? Not sure if they enforce boat safety, but their visibility might help people boat safer.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

They are random all along the coast. I have all the GW numbers for the areas I fish in stored on my IPhone. I have called twice. Once for a gill net at the south jetty found while wading and the other was for some kids jumping a fence to fish private property and the only reason I called is because I knew the old man that lived there and he is dangerous and had confronted others threatening harm so I felt I had to help the boys. You can look the numbers up on line. I also got my name put in for a reward if they catch the gill net people. This is hard to do but it's nice to know I may get something in return.
They always enforce safety if they are in the area. They use some heavy duty binocs and can see people clear across the bay. They watch and enforce when in the area though.