Fishing Upper Taylor Lake

jakehardgrave

Fishing Upper Taylor Lake

Post by jakehardgrave »

I hope I'm not giving anyone's honey hole away, but I really doubt it, I've been trying to find more spots to fish along my commute to work so I can just bring the kayak with me and fish on the way home. This spot seem like a top contender convenience wise, but I grew up water skiing all through Taylor Lake and I've never thought of it as a place to fish. Has anyone here ever had luck fishing the upper sections of the lake? I wonder if redfish ever hang out there...

stick this in google maps: 29°36'16.6"N 95°02'32.6"W
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Fishing Upper Taylor Lake

Post by Yaklash »

I can't give you any current info, but used to launch at the Red Bluff bridge 20 some odd years ago in my old OK Scupper Pro. I never really caught much more than small trout and a few nice flounder. It was a good place to find mud minnows and finger mullet, though.

One thing I can tell you that is current is; I would not eat any fish out of there. Not sure it's part of the Consumption Advisory, but it's close enough to Clear Lake (which is part of the Consumption Advisory) that I wouldn't take the chance - PCBs and Dioxin.
Fin-Addict
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Fin-Addict »

I like to fish that area quite a bit. You can catch all 3 but nothing really worth bragging about.
I just like to feel the tug on the end of the line.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I fished there two or three times, launching off of Port Road. Never caught a thing. Sure looked fishy, though.

richg99
jakehardgrave

Post by jakehardgrave »

richg99 wrote:I fished there two or three times, launching off of Port Road. Never caught a thing. Sure looked fishy, though.

richg99
Thats kind of what I expected to hear, when I drive by it, it looks very 'fishy' with plenty of mullet and marsh grass, but then I think to myself, those fish would have to navigate the gauntlet of innertubes and jet skis to get to the fishy looking area at the back.

I think it would be a good spot to try cast netting some finger mullet and just casting around with live bait. Better that the couch anyway..
jakehardgrave

Post by jakehardgrave »

Yaklash wrote:I can't give you any current info, but used to launch at the Red Bluff bridge 20 some odd years ago in my old OK Scupper Pro. I never really caught much more than small trout and a few nice flounder. It was a good place to find mud minnows and finger mullet, though.

One thing I can tell you that is current is; I would not eat any fish out of there. Not sure it's part of the Consumption Advisory, but it's close enough to Clear Lake (which is part of the Consumption Advisory) that I wouldn't take the chance - PCBs and Dioxin.
Thanks for the heads up, I won't plan to keep any fish out of there, just lookin for a tug on the line!
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

Yaklash wrote:I can't give you any current info, but used to launch at the Red Bluff bridge 20 some odd years ago in my old OK Scupper Pro. I never really caught much more than small trout and a few nice flounder. It was a good place to find mud minnows and finger mullet, though.

Clear Lake is not of concern, it's Clear Creek: http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo ... advisories
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

FwistedTucker wrote:

Clear Lake is not of concern, it's Clear Creek: http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo ... advisories
Well, it is of concern to me, seeing as the creek flows into the lake and at some points where I know a lot of people to catch trout, they are immediately adjacent. So, I'll stay away from eating Clear Lake fish and will continue to recommend others to do the same. You go ahead on if you want though.