South Houston (pearland) kayak fishing club

Yak-n TX

South Houston (pearland) kayak fishing club

Post by Yak-n TX »

Lately I've been looking for a way to give back to the community and I've been doing research on starting a kayak fishing club for the South Houston area. I've decided it's something I would really like to do. To my knowledge there are several clubs in Houston but none located in the southern area. I live in pearland so the meetings would most likely take place close by.

I already have a rough draft of the club constitution and bylaws. It would operate as a non-profit and I'm planning on making the club an ACA club so we can do outings and possibly tournaments down the line.

Meetings would consist of doing reports about our club trips, demos, guest speakers, etc.

I'm trying to gauge interest to see if this something people would like to participate in. Club dues would be very affordable and get you an ACA membership for the year.

I'd just like to get some people together to have fun, promote kayak fishing, and conservation.

Chime in if you could see yourself becoming a member. If I can get 10-15 people interested I'll move forward with raising a bit of money setting it all up.

Thanks!

- Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LocoSeamonkey

Re: South Houston (pearland) kayak fishing club

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

definitely interested. I am in the Pasadena/Deer Park area, so a lot of those clubs that meet on the north side are just a little too far for me.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Hey loco! Same here and that's another reason I wanted to do this as well. Shoot me a PM and I can give you some more details

SuperShane

Post by SuperShane »

Im in, I work 4 on 4 off 6am-6pm sometimes later that's my only quirk I do work on the north side but live south and would participate, I already pay my ACA and Pack dues
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Sounds good man! Spread the word if you'd like. I'll be getting more details together over the weekend and I'll post up a link.

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I live in the center of Houston, but you guys have your meetings at King's Biergarten and I might just join up and make the trip :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Yaklash wrote:I live in the center of Houston, but you guys have your meetings at King's Biergarten and I might just join up and make the trip :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lol that would be awesome. I'm still exploring meeting spots so it could happen. Not sure if they have a private room though

Leeb

Post by Leeb »

I'm interested
Capt. Dustin Lee

Post by Capt. Dustin Lee »

I would be interested. Living in the Lake Jackson / Freeport area so it's a long ways for me with most clubs to make any meetings. This sounds great to me!!! 8)
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Great! Looks like we have 6 potential members so far. I'm working on a club section of my fishing website now. I hope to have something together by the weekend that we can get on and start organizing. The first event is going to be the first meeting where we can discuss a lot of the details such as the bylaws and the way things will operate. Stand by for a link to the site this weekend.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to this quite a bit.
Bradw693

Post by Bradw693 »

I live in Rosharon which is basically Manvel just south of Highway 6. I'm most definitely interested and would like to be involved. Let me know if you need anything.
Makzym0s

Post by Makzym0s »

yak angler living in Friendswood here. interested in the club. I fish the coast and also put a kayak in a few neighborhood mini-lakes in the Pearland area :)
bushwing

Post by bushwing »

Sounds great. I live in Alvin and would be great to have a group that's closer to home.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Cool guys. Thanks for the support!

RedAlert

Post by RedAlert »

I would be interested as well.
Bradw693

Post by Bradw693 »

Since we hope to all be fellow club members soon, would anyone be interested in making a trip tomorrow morning? I was thinking Swan Lake if anyone wants to join. I plan on being at Buccees surfside around 630-645 if anyone cares to join. PM me if you want to go.
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

I'd love to but I've got some family stuff going on Saturday morning. I might go Sunday morning though

Makzym0s

Post by Makzym0s »

Did a little neighborhood yakkin this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll be working all day and Sunday I travel to north Texas to pick up my TarponX 130. Hope to have the tarpon in the water next week if my work schedule allows it.

Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Nice man! You'll love that tarpon x. I was checking one out a couple weeks ago and I was impressed.
Soggy Bottom Boy

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

Im in the area, love to join the group
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Soggy Bottom Boy wrote:Im in the area, love to join the group

Awesome!
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Okay Y'all,

Here's what I've got for you:

The club name will be South Houston Kayak Fishing Club. We already have a domain name locked down and I'm working on getting the site live and functioning. This shouldn't take too much longer. I'm also going to create a Facebook page and I will post that link here.

There are a few orders of business that have to be taken care of before we can become an official non-profit club. I have to file a certificate of formation with the state and then apply for tax-exempt status with the IRS and state. During this process, I will have to name a few officers on the filing for the state. These officers will serve the first year then the positions will come up for election next year. I will name myself president and I have someone who wants to take on the duties of treasurer. The rest of the open positions can be volunteered for. All of the positions are stated in the constitution and by-laws of the club. After this is done an application will be submitted to the ACA to obtain the insurance policy that will allow us to conduct club trips, meetings, and banquets.

All of these filings and ACA membership cost money.

IRS Filing: $400
State Certificate of formation: $25
State Tax Exempt Filing: $0
ACA PAC Membership: $100

As you can see it's a sizeable amount so I'll be starting to raise some money from those who wish to contribute more than the standard dues.

I have a rough draft of the constitution and bylaws ready to go. Give them a read-through and this will give you an idea of how things will operate. None of this is official until it is agreed upon and voted in at our first meeting.

I'm still looking for a meeting place so if you have any place in mind let me know!

We are getting closer.
Attachments
SHKFC Constitution and Bylaws.pdf
(90.58 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Bradw693

Post by Bradw693 »

The by-laws look really good, I can't think of anything that needs to be added as of now. Looking forward to the advancement of SHKFC.

Also, good think y'all didn't come yaking with me. 6 hours and I only caught 1 nice flounder. 2 bites total..one for the landed flounder and had a red on for 3-5 seconds but line snapped on the shell. Lots of bait but saw no pods just two solo cruisers and couldn't get them to go for anything. That's how it is some days though right. Will post report within the next few days.
titanic2

Post by titanic2 »

Makzym0s wrote:Did a little neighborhood yakkin this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll be working all day and Sunday I travel to north Texas to pick up my TarponX 130. Hope to have the tarpon in the water next week if my work schedule allows it.

I think I know that spot! Avalon? haha also I live in Pearland as well and would like to be a club member
seaaggie_99

Post by seaaggie_99 »

We had my daughter's birthday party at the Pearland BassPro one year; rented out the restaurant and patio area and it was VERY reasonable (compared to other venues for 50-60 ppl + food). Not suggesting the club rent out the restaurant but you may want to call over there and speak to them; they may be able to reserve an area (I would suggest the patio) for the club meeting. Gives folks the option to order some food and drink if they wish (and it gives you a legit reason to tell the wife you gotta go to BassPro!)...