Best Inshore Baitcasting reels

ichinforfishin

Best Inshore Baitcasting reels

Post by ichinforfishin »

Last weekend my baitcasting reel bit the dust. :/ so now to decide what is the best baitcasting reel? I thought I'd ask and see what the tkf community thoughts on it are.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Re: Best Inshore Baitcasting reels

Post by MobyYack »

how far do you like to cast? and what do you usually cast?
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

Lews bb1 inshore and lews tourney lites are what I throw now. Used to be a die hard Shimano guy but they are collect dust as back ups now.
Texas_troutkiller13

Post by Texas_troutkiller13 »

WestEndTroutAssassin wrote:Lews bb1 inshore and lews tourney lites are what I throw now. Used to be a die hard Shimano guy but they are collect dust as back ups now.
X2 on the Lew's BB1 inshore
I haven't had mine too long and have only had a chance to use it once but its awesome. It is very easy to dial in and casts very well. The reel feels and seems to be very well built and it has a smooth retrieve that I can say with confidence is better than Shimano. If I were to rate this reel from a 1-10 on castability, ease of use, performance and build quality I would say it is a solid 9 all day.
ichinforfishin

Post by ichinforfishin »

Casting distance as far as I can possibly cast without birds nest. I throw a lot of soft Plastics, bugs, and top waters. Thanks for the recommendations. Lew's was one I have been looking into mostly the BB2 because of the extra line I could fit on it.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

why not use a small spinning reel with 20 lb braid? hard to birdnest and you can throw a 1 oz spoon a mile
ATX O

Post by ATX O »

I have a Lews TLL1H and a Abu 6500 c4. Both are great casters with different uses.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

ichinforfishin wrote:Casting distance as far as I can possibly cast without birds nest. I throw a lot of soft Plastics, bugs, and top waters. Thanks for the recommendations. Lew's was one I have been looking into mostly the BB2 because of the extra line I could fit on it.
Not sure why you want extra line. If it's for casting, I can't say I understand the science but most people I know say smaller is better for casting distance. And it certainly is for weight and carrying that puppy around all day.

If it's so you don't get spooled, there are very few fish inshore capable of spooling a 100 class reel, especially with braid and a good drag system, and most especially throwing lures (fewer if any giant black drum). Jack Crevelle are just not all that common inshore and there aren't a lot of reds over 30" still hanging around in the bays.

As far as brands, I'm still in the Shimano camp. Have it on my list to get a Lew's next time I buy a baitcaster, based on recommendations from multiple unsponsored veteran anglers. That means I trust that they aren't just "pumping" that brand because they are given reels or discounts. As far as I can tell, Lew's are priced below Shimano and if they perform as well, that's a no-brainer.
ichinforfishin

Post by ichinforfishin »

Yaklash I see what your saying with the extra line your right it would probably never get used at all and be a waste. Lew's do seem so be priced better.
MobyYack I see what your saying spincast casting a mile and bait casting being more for accuracy in tight areas. But I don't need a new spin cast I just finished making a new baitcasting rod in May so I got to keep a reel on it. :D Thanks again everyone for the recommendations.
btbowers98

Post by btbowers98 »

I can't speak from experience but my dad used and still uses and old Abu Garcia ambassadors in fresh and saltwater since the early 90's and has never had a problem.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
rtrentsmith

Post by rtrentsmith »

I picked up a Shimano Casitas last week. The thing works like a charm. I'm very impressed.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

ichinforfishin wrote:Casting distance as far as I can possibly cast without birds nest. I throw a lot of soft Plastics, bugs, and top waters. Thanks for the recommendations. Lew's was one I have been looking into mostly the BB2 because of the extra line I could fit on it.
for casting distance.. and the extra line you want.. the BB2 Pro will be the ticket. I throw the BB1 pro and it's a long caster for sure.

The Inshore is more like the Tournament pro on the inside, but a little better for durability / if you're someone that lays it on the sand or getting a wave of two splashed on it while in the surf.
Blackcloud61

Post by Blackcloud61 »

13 Fishing Concept C. Comfortable to hold, casts a mile, monster drag if you need it.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

which do u think casts farther? baitcast or spinner?
jopa

Post by jopa »

I just got 2 of the Lews inshore models..they were on huge discount at Academy last month. Best 200 I have spent in a while. If I have had a baclklash, it is has been minor, and an adjustmet here or there.....smooth sailing.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

MobyYack wrote:which do u think casts farther? baitcast or spinner?
I think either one, in the hands of someone who knows how, will go far enough for any practical use, but I think statistics would prove spinning rigs to go farther. For me though (and I know a lot of Florida anglers would argue this), the advantage goes to baitcasters for reasons of control and accuracy. For terminal tackle or casting into the wind, I give the advantage to spinning rigs.
justhrowit

Post by justhrowit »

Yaklash wrote:
MobyYack wrote:which do u think casts farther? baitcast or spinner?
I think either one, in the hands of someone who knows how, will go far enough for any practical use, but I think statistics would prove spinning rigs to go farther. For me though (and I know a lot of Florida anglers would argue this), the advantage goes to baitcasters for reasons of control and accuracy. For terminal tackle or casting into the wind, I give the advantage to spinning rigs.
I'd agree with this, but I'd add that, IMO, drags are better on casting gear vs spinning gear. In the case of fighting bigger fish, I'd prefer to do so with casting gear.
WolfpackRed

Post by WolfpackRed »

Anyone have any experience with the Daiwa Aird Coastal? I'm looking a left handed retrieve baitcaster and stumbled onto these. I've been using Abu Garcia Ambassadeurs for some time and am wanting a lower profile reel. At less than a hundred bucks the Aird Coastal is tempting but would love some real world feedback. Thanks!
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MobyYack »

i have heard that accuracy argument regarding the bait cast vs spinner but i just dont see it.
ichinforfishin

Post by ichinforfishin »

Well I just picked up a Lew's tournament they had it in left hand retrieval 7.1:1 gear ratio, on sale at Gander Mountain last night. It seems to be an excellent choice even though I have only casted it in the yard. :D Thanks for all the info this is a good little baitcasting thread learning a lot.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

ichinforfishin wrote:Well I just picked up a Lew's tournament they had it in left hand retrieval 7.1:1 gear ratio, on sale at Gander Mountain last night. It seems to be an excellent choice even though I have only casted it in the yard. :D Thanks for all the info this is a good little baitcasting thread learning a lot.
You will like it a lot. Love my lews.
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

Reviving an old thread because I need some new reels. I have several Lews freshwater reels and I am a fan.

I want to go with the BB1 but a little confused as it appears the names may have been changed a little over the past couple of years. I can't find anything called "BB1 Inshore" but I did find several different kinds of BB1 and a "Custom Inshore".

I am looking at these two:
https://www.academy.com/shop/cart
Looks like a good deal but not sure if I need the fancy drag system.
Can get the plain BB1 below for less.

https://www.amazon.com/Lews-BB1-Speed-S ... s+bb1+reel

Opinions please.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the academy shopping cart link didn't work.

I've fished Lew's since the 80s, BB-1NG, BB-1N, BB-25SW. Over that time I bought one replacement handle, one anti-reverse pawl, and retired the first two from salt use.
The collector's value on the BB-25SW has gone through the roof.
For a year, I've been fishing a Lew's Super Duty and really like it.
Recently added a Lew's Inshore, but haven't gotten it wet - it's slightly smaller line capacity than all the others I own.
It has the advantage on paper of four centrifugal drag brake sliders instead of two.
If Lew's Inshore interests you, might want to check the ebay price - also check the ebay seller for other models.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... x0Q2SsItgE

The old BB1 is a great reel. There are no drawbacks (except maybe line capacity) to the newer low-profile reels.
I can tell you the new generation Mag drag adjustment really works, and I like the clicks on the main friction drag adjustment.
On the same length rod, the Lew's cast every bit as far as my best spinning reel.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
wetnhungry

Post by wetnhungry »

Fixed link
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lews-b ... id=5029002

This one is the Pro for $149.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

That's a great price for the BB-1 Pro - would not pass on that.
I paid $10 more on an ebay deal for the Inshore (shipping inclusive) - both are listed with the same retail price.
Using braid backing with fluoro on top, I was able to get over 200 yds on the smaller spool.