Hey Wizard - Bill Fly rods and tieing tails

JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Hey Wizard - Bill Fly rods and tieing tails

Post by JimD »

Bill,

I noticed that the article you sent me on what the "best beginning saltwater flyrod set up is" was posted by Tom in one of the sections but hard to find till they redo the left side of the links page.

What is the basics needed to start tieing flies? I have a beginners kit and did a few the other day after watching Lefty's tape. It was interesting to see how he made his own weed guards on the tape.

I really want to start tieing tails for my casting baits. Seems like some of the Top, SheDogs and the mirrow lures might do a lot better with a flashy tail? Any suggestions or px to post?

We can probably get CaptJack to post his pxs.

Be glad when Clay gets the CaptJack corner setup.

Maybe they will put you and your info. in the other corner or set up a flyfishing board. :lol:

Thanks,
The Wizard

Tying Flies

Post by The Wizard »

Jim D.

I really thought for a long time that I would never get into flytying but after a few trips to the shop and spending lots of bucks for things I could tie myself, I geared up.

I am a very pragmatic flytyer, I only make flies that I use. Now, flytying is not hard nor is it arcane. It just takes a little time, but it is fun and will save money over the long haul. Plus, you always have flies to trade....

First, don't buy a kit. They are OK, but just barely OK in my view.

Basics:
Vises: Vises are to flytying as rods are to flycasting (I just made that up). So get a good one. I really like the "Renzetti Traveler." I have the pedestal model, but the c-clamp model works just as well. About $160 from Cabelas. Now that is a lot of money, but it is a very good vise and will last you forever.

Scissors: I like the Dr. Slick scissors and I have a pair of 3 1/2 inch straight and a 4" all purpose. The Cabela's brand Gold Loop scissors are an excellent buy, I think, and a bit cheaper.

Bobbins: I like the Umpqua bobbins with ceramic inserts in the bobbin tube. They really do a nice job of preventing the thread from fraying. Plus, I find them easy to handle.

Whip finishing tool: I have a Cabela's whip finishing tool and I use it instead of tying half hitches when I finish off a fly. These take a little work to learn to use, but really work great once you get the hang of it.

Drying wheel: I bought a cheap rod wheel and I use it to dry and cure epoxy flies. It is not necessary, but it does help.

Bodkin: Cabela's sells them for about $3.00 or get a large needle and save about $2.99.

I own the following and never use them for the saltwater or freshwater flies I tie:
Hair Stacker ( I gave up on deer hair: I ain't worth it and it gets all over everything).
Bobbin Threader
Hackly Plier

Finishing cement: Cabela's and Bass Pro shop sell several types of head cement, Daves Fleximent for example. Some guys use watered down rod flexcoat. You can also get E2000 (I think that is right) glue at hobby shops and thin it down.

Pens: Prismacolor makes a lot of pens that I use to add color and to paint thread. I use Pale Sepia, Black and Cadmium Red. That way I only have to buy three colors of thread. White, Yellow and Pink.

Thread: Waxed 6/0 or 8/0 (for really small stuff).

The rest of the stuff you need is mostly materials and those are fly-pattern dependent. Cabela's, Orvis and Dan Bailey's flyshop all have excellent material selections.

If there is interest among the board members, maybe we could put together a daylong flytying workshop here at TPWD.

Let me know if you need more info.

Bill
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by JimD »

I bought a kit that someone did not want it for 20$. I can see why you want the nice rotating vice but oh well. I really enjoyed the Lefty ?? tape. It made a lot of sense with his examples.

Any suggestions or example of px for right now you want to just tie trebble hook and some circle hook tails for spoons, and some casting baits?

Saw your notice for a flytieing class. Sounds great if I just had the time. I have 5 or 6 wt rod but it would work but I donot have the time.

I am trying to catch one of the Starr trout or redfish before Shane does. These LA South of I10 boys are tough. Guess it all the fishing rules that Louisisana has.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.