What has happened to the traffic on TKF?

Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: What has happened to the traffic on TKF?

Post by Boomy »

I'm on FB but don't follow the TKF page. There isn't the courtesy and respect that most of us allow to each other. I think mostly due to lack of moderators. Here we get newbies come through pushing buttons and strutting, but FB seemed to have a hire percentage of them. Actually, I just got pi$$ed too many times and decided my blood pressure needed my to frequent the forum vs the lite version.... It's been a while, might be better now...
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

On FB TKF, I block everyone who uses language, or posts crap, that wouldn't be allowed here. The list is getting long, though.

richg99
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Wow, I have totally missed this topic. Likely due to my low dose clicking on this forum.

Yes, I too have noticed a recent drop in posting. I personally have not put the thought into why that may be and have to ask myself do I care? I am not trying to be insensitive just truthful. As I am sure it is with most of us who have posted fairly consistently over the years we all lean which authors posts we will automatically read and those we automatically skip. If the "look at me" posters are not getting the attention they feel they are looking for from their posts then that kind of mentality will move on, and that is a good thing. Maybe that is where we are reaching and I am good with that.

For me this site is 75% reading the genuine experiences of other and learning from them over a broad range be it fishing techniques, tackle, seamanship, equipment, failures, successes, how others find solutions to problems or situations unique to what we do, some of topics like this, and yes honest about this, fishing locations (potlicking) but prefer to find my own and keep them to myself. Then there is 25% of posting along the same line of my care abouts of what I look to when reading others posts.

God gave us 2 ears and one mouth, it is up to us to use them proportionally. One of my more favorite sayings when I coach young engineers.

I think we have to ask ourselves what do we value in a poster, the quality over quantity reasons are my flags. Yea, I know I have been here a bit over 11 yrs with just over 1k posts and that might seem like I am not contributing to TKF enough but I think I do. I could give a rats behind about some flag behind my name on number of posts.

One last thought on this topic. Has the quality improved recently? My 2 cents are yes.

I think I am clean out of thoughts on this topic, time for dinner and a beer----ok I go low on the beer now and prefer a glass of merlot.

SYOTW,
Earl
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

Life got in the way and I stopped posting because I wasn't fishing.
JRB-USMC

Post by JRB-USMC »

So, I see the potlicking comment on here a lot! I think a lot of that is a misunderstanding. I have tried to ask guys that give fishing reports what area they were in. Did you fish in Galveston, Matty, Corpus, Padre, etc.?? I don't want GPS coordinates to your honey hole, I just want to know what side of the gulf you are on so I can decide what color bait to take or know what type of lures are working right now... I always laugh when people get criticized for asking what bay someone fished.

With that being said, what is the proper way to ask for a vague area of where you went fishing? If you say that question shouldnt be asked, then what is the purpose of a fishing report?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

JRB-USMC wrote:So, I see the potlicking comment on here a lot! I think a lot of that is a misunderstanding. I have tried to ask guys that give fishing reports what area they were in. Did you fish in Galveston, Matty, Corpus, Padre, etc.?? I don't want GPS coordinates to your honey hole, I just want to know what side of the gulf you are on so I can decide what color bait to take or know what type of lures are working right now... I always laugh when people get criticized for asking what bay someone fished.

With that being said, what is the proper way to ask for a vague area of where you went fishing? If you say that question shouldnt be asked, then what is the purpose of a fishing report?
Sometimes, folks will share bottom structure, depth and things like that and from that information you can piece together where they might have fished. Some folks are mainly upper coast guys, others fish Corpus area. There are some that go all over, but many focus on specific areas of the coast and then some are mainly marsh guys and some more bay.

I've never been a big believer in report chasing. I could give exact GPS coordinates to a spot but by the time you get there the conditions have changed enough that the fish have moved. I've posted a lot of reports like "drum bay this" and Salt lake that" but I never really see it cause a big uptick in kayak traffic. There were kayaks there before and they are there after the report. Overall, there are more folks out in kayaks now than there were 8 years ago, but it's not about any reports but just that there are more people in kayaks.

I like reading reports just for entertainment and to get some information about what did and didn't work and compare it to my own experiences. There used to be someone that posted a lot of reports and he is a catching machine. I knew from his reports and because I would run into him out on the water exactly where he fished, exactly, exactly. I almost didn't like it when he posted because I knew, exactly, where he caught this or that gigantic stringer of fish. The reason I didn't like to know was because, A, I felt dirty, like a cheater, that I could "steal" this information without any real effort and, B, because he set the bar so high with his catching prowess that I probably would come up short.

Now I fish just because I like a spot for whatever reason, it's pretty, it's protected, it might have this or that type of fish, it's close. If I go out and catch a few, great. Honey, heat up the grease. If I don't, I'm not going to starve. I really don't want anyone's special super secret honey hole. Now, if you have a good snapper wreck, well, pM me :)
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Fishing reports, on 2Cool, have NO REPLIES locked into the system.

I believe that was initiated when too many guys got the panties in an uproar that somebody was giving out THEIR honey holes.

Many people who don't fish very often gladly pot-lick the locations off of any posted reports.

Way more internet; way more kayaks; the inevitable happens....all of our "favorite spots" have way more people fishing in them now.

It's the growth of the kayaking sport. Low cost; good shallow water access; but.... limited accessible shallow waters. There are just more guys/gals doing it every year.

richg99
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

richg99 wrote:Fishing reports, on 2Cool, have NO REPLIES locked into the system.

I believe that was initiated when too many guys got the panties in an uproar that somebody was giving out THEIR honey holes.

Many people who don't fish very often gladly pot-lick the locations off of any posted reports.

Way more internet; way more kayaks; the inevitable happens....all of our "favorite spots" have way more people fishing in them now.

It's the growth of the kayaking sport. Low cost; good shallow water access; but.... limited accessible shallow waters. There are just more guys/gals doing it every year.

richg99
Good observations, have you noticed that 2cool has gotten a little nicer? Seems like a lot of the guys that really tried to punish and shame anyone that didn't know what they knew have been banned. It's a good change.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

re 2Cool....If that is so, and I hope it is.... the credit probably goes to the unsung moderators.

If moderators would shut down the troublemakers right away....and not wait until they think that they have a following....then the troublemakers would simply go away.

I see people saying "Well, I've been banned three times, but I'm back now!" YIKES!

It's like a kid that acts up all of the time..he/she often wants attention..no matter how they get it.

richg99
capt carl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by capt carl »

some of the fishermen are slowing down because they keep hurting the feelings of the fisherboys
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

capt carl wrote:some of the fishermen are slowing down because they keep hurting the feelings of the fisherboys
No need to come after me like that capt! :)

I come to TKF for the entertainment and camaraderie. I learn a little, share a little, but am not really into the technical stuff like a lot on here. I like to joke around, so I spend a lot of time in the Off Topic forum. A lot of the old guys that were here when I joined have moved on. Or been banned. :D Still my site of choice for all things kayaking, fishing and all things off topic! :clap:
Yak'n Medic

Post by Yak'n Medic »

People being snotty about giving new people fishing advice, never once did I ask for spots, more less general information, bait types, etc... So many people are too concerned with keeping their top secret private property out on the water, and less interested in helping new people get into the sport. No point from a forum you aren't able to learn anything from... I stick to friends and family, no need to boast stories, or read other peoples boastful stories when there's no useful information... Met a lot of really cool people (all of that other stuff aside). Bought and sold a few kayaks. But other than that I have little use for the forum.
Fishin Texas Aggie

Post by Fishin Texas Aggie »

I'd be more inclined to post if the website didn't log me out dang near every time, even when I tell it to remember me.
Fishin Texas Aggie

Post by Fishin Texas Aggie »

Ohh and some Facebook folks tend to be dewshs
My68MyWay

Post by My68MyWay »

I think the ease of posting on Facebook really degrades the quality of the posts which is a major reason I prefer the real TKF over the Facebook version. You seem to get a lot of those quick pointless posts on FB. As for me, I'll take a nice long report from Mythman, Yakety_yak, Prof. salt, etc over the entire Facebook page any day.
capt carl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by capt carl »

I am here to answer any questions about fishing that i can and because of much experence have a little knowledge,not about kayaks but fishing and i beleive that most of the old timers are the same.If more people asked questions maybe they would gain more knowledge
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

And, I'm here to answer any question that Capt. Carl can't answer. Since I have a tendency to be rather lazy, that should give me a comfortably light work load. :D
b737

Post by b737 »

Lot of people talk about "facebook". I wouldn't know, I'm not on it and don't use it (world does not need to know my every move.)

TKF to me = is = "HONEST" opinions about fishing techniques, equipment, kayak evaluations, accessories - what works and what is to much trouble. Places to launch, places to stay, places to eat. Face it people, this is a sport! We are not in a do or die competition for anything. Be nice, be courteous, be helpful, and have a good time.
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

b737 wrote:Lot of people talk about "facebook". I wouldn't know, I'm not on it and don't use it (world does not need to know my every move.)

TKF to me = is = "HONEST" opinions about fishing techniques, equipment, kayak evaluations, accessories - what works and what is to much trouble. Places to launch, places to stay, places to eat. Face it people, this is a sport! We are not in a do or die competition for anything. Be nice, be courteous, be helpful, and have a good time.

BOOM^ Well said. :clap:
GaryA

Post by GaryA »

on a mission wrote:
b737 wrote:Lot of people talk about "facebook". I wouldn't know, I'm not on it and don't use it (world does not need to know my every move.)

BOOM^ Well said. :clap:

Double Boom! :clap: :clap: :clap:

In my humble opinion, Facebook and social media are destroying relationships and detrimental to society.

Been away for since 2008 but now retired and back to kayaking and fly fishing amazed at how few posts on TKF compared to then.
RedsOnRiot

Post by RedsOnRiot »

I used to be all open to giving up where I launch but lately I go to my spots just to find more and more trash. So I tend to keep those to myself.

Do I want to? Not really, I'd love to spread the wealth but I don't want to risk losing launch spots due to them being trashed out.

Now it's not the people of TKF that I'm worried about, it's all the other sets of eyes that peruse this site.(lurkers)
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Wow, that was the most interesting read from here in a long time. I don't check in on the saltwater very often or the forum in general recently. I don't know anything about the Facebook part, but the powers that be here have taken every opportunity to shoot this deal in the foot.

About the time that Freshwater became interesting it was dismantled. First Boatbuilders, then Camping, then Traveling, and now there two different Bass fishings too boot. None of them turn a page in a month. Recently I saw a suggestion that river and lake fishing be separated, WTF.

I just stopped in cuz I have a coast trip planned but there was nothing here to help. No big deal I'm all in for finding out on my own, I always have.

SYOTR
doug
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I think the only segment missing here is some sort of ...General... category. I am often at a loss as to where to put a post.

Lots of times, I'll post it on TTMB on 2cool and the General category "Watering Hole" on Tinboats....but...I just don't post it here since no category seems to fit.

richg99
AsianAngler

Post by AsianAngler »

Hutch wrote:I ain't got nuttin to say I suppose. Sometimes I see the same thing over and over again and trolling spam along with rude comments. Tell me a good story. Throw me an idea that I have not seen. Ask good questions. And then I am probably going to comment. Until then I pass by the worthless posts until I see something to bite (kind of like fishing-hehe). Y'all have a great day.
x2.
Like I said, just cause you got more post count don't mean you're contributing more.

quality over quantity.
lagavulin62

Post by lagavulin62 »

Guess it's time to chime in since it's getting close to a year. I am still a member of a wade fishing forum and last I checked they get about 3 posts a month. I check it now about once a year, but only because it has data links. So I can't really complain about the traffic in here and since I go through spells as long as there is info I can use I still enjoy the board. I agree that FB is not helping. Didn't even know the board had a FB until just now. But I am not a FB person, never did like the idea of it. I read pretty much all threads(unless like this one they have 53 pages). My only gripe is the tournament threads, which I skip over like the plague. Oh and reviews of NEW kayaks, as I feel they are all overpriced. So glad I got into this 9 years ago and have two kayaks I believe are still very relevant. Paid 1350 total for the two. Lastly it's good to see many long time members still posting great info. Other than that dud wade fishing forum this is the only fishing forum I use.