What has happened to the traffic on TKF?

Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: What has happened to the traffic on TKF?

Post by Alsatian »

CruisinPungo wrote:
Alsatian wrote:I'm going to blame the mods for giving dumas a life time ban...
again...
for the 4th and final time...
At least he kept the threads busy.
RIP dumas
:D
:lol: :lol: :lol: i agree! i wasn't around for all of the ban camps, but i never really saw what he did that was so wrong? i've seen plenty of people on here be just as provocative. (I've been guilty a time or two myself)
You didn't see it because the mods deleted it before to many people saw it. I've gotten carried away a time or two and got a slap on the wrist.

Just to prove that I can stay on topic, if ones looks at all the stickies they would learn a lot of what is going on with kayak fishing. From rigging to safety to trailers and of course fishing. There is even a sticky that will make you younger and sexier just by reading it from start to finish. http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... start=1650" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I have to agree with others that the same questions are being asked over and over and over and over and over... Heck even the post leader (and not gay pirate) isn't even posting as much as he used to. Get Night Wing and dumas back and the posts will start rolling again. dumas even agrees that the post action is slowing down. He'll message me on FB and tell me to post something for him. :lol: :lol:
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

Things certainly have changed...lotta legit reasons listed above...links to personal blogs, micro skiffs, etc etc...

IMO: Kayak fishing(to some people) is simply a step in their personal fishing experience...Very few embrace it as their primary fishing mode and thus move on...

Have had discussions regarding this subject with other longtime members with no explanation...

Its up to us to keep TKF the premier source for KAYAK FISHING...G
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I've noticed it too.

Since I joined the TKF facebook page, I find that I check it first, and this site second. If you take any group of people, and split them between (facebook and tkf) .....you are going to get less traffic on each.

Much as I dislike a lot of what facebook shows, (too many food pictures and nonsense. Who cares that somebody got a new dog???) it makes it awfully easy to post and see responses all day long. It's a system that works, much as I hate to say it.

I guess 2 billion members says it all.

richg99
p.s. I hope that the TKF owner(s) get paid for the posts on Facebook.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

TKF has a Facebook page? I guess that would be OK for posting a report of some kind. The forums are were you really get to share info.

I check the site several times a day as I have for 11 or 12 years. I have only been fishing 5 or 6 times this, so I have not had much reason to start a thread. I respond to some that I may have answer to a question.

Chris, I have noticed you never reply 'Great report', I usually do not either except if I am going to add a comment to someone's report.

I always start with our chapter forum, then Saltwater, Fishing Report, and Fly Fishing. when just killing time I'll look at others. I think I have looked at off topic once.

Longest comment I have made.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I use "view active topics" (upper left).

It gathers anything that might be of interest. I scan the headlines, and only read the ones that grab my attention. Not enough time to read every thread.

Since it turns items that I have read to a gray color, I can keep track of only what I want to track.

richg99
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I notice a lot fewer posts by guides that were once regular posters. I am not sure if they are on FB more now, because I don't use FB for fishing stuff.

Slowride, Let's Go, Fishman and some others used to be regular posters of fantastic pictures, interesting stories and I assume they got some business out of it. Maybe that marketing plan just isn't as effective as they need it to be so they concentrate their time elsewhere; and I get that.

Another point made is about repeatedly asked questions. Anyone who knows my TKF presence knows I am more than willing to offer my opinions and advice. It does however get a little old to get the same questions over and over in threads that are days apart. When these are the only new or active threads, that cuts down on my reading time on TKF.

But overall, this is still the best fishing related chat room option IMO, due to the relatively low percentage of mean spirited A-wholes on the site. We do tend to be a friendlier bunch than some sites like Not-Too-Cool.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Cuervo Jones wrote:The Search feature is shamefully under-utilized I'd guess, based on the repetition of questions...This place is a goldmine of information IF you're willing to do a little work yourself...
Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Burnout sets in for those who are patient enough to answer "where should I go this weekend?" type questions and they eventually stop.
True story, Bro...
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

Piscator wrote:TKF has a Facebook page? I guess that would be OK for posting a report of some kind. The forums are were you really get to share info.

I check the site several times a day as I have for 11 or 12 years. I have only been fishing 5 or 6 times this, so I have not had much reason to start a thread. I respond to some that I may have answer to a question.

Chris, I have noticed you never reply 'Great report', I usually do not either except if I am going to add a comment to someone's report.

I always start with our chapter forum, then Saltwater, Fishing Report, and Fly Fishing. when just killing time I'll look at others. I think I have looked at off topic once.

Longest comment I have made.
Roger,

I just never have seen the point in replying with some generic "good job" post. I'd I have something meaningful to add or a question to ask I reply. Otherwise I just read it and move on. I guess that's also why I don't do the blogs that have become so popular. Actually I hardly ever read or post fishing reports other than what shows up in our local chapter. Like someone posted earlier, usually by the time it hits the internet, the fish have moved on.

One thing I learned a long time ago (way before i got a yak, think billy halphin and Robert sloan) is that if you rely on fishing reports to get your info on when/where/how to fish, you are in for some major disappointment!
FISHUNTER

Post by FISHUNTER »

Yeah miss the gool ol days in here...
jackinayak

Post by jackinayak »

I am very much a newcomer to TKF compared to you guys that have renewed this thread. I fished from my yak for years before I found out that this site existed. Found it through Google searches where many of my questions were answered through references to TKF threads. I was thrilled to find so many here just as passionate about this sport as I am. I do not do FB, I check the forums here almost every day, I support the sponsors and feel a kinship to the yakkers who post here, even though I have never met most of you.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

jackinayak wrote:I am very much a newcomer to TKF compared to you guys that have renewed this thread. I fished from my yak for years before I found out that this site existed. Found it through Google searches where many of my questions were answered through references to TKF threads. I was thrilled to find so many here just as passionate about this sport as I am. I do not do FB, I check the forums here almost every day, I support the sponsors and feel a kinship to the yakkers who post here, even though I have never met most of you.
And most here did the same. Over the last few years though, it seems there was a very slow but steady transition from this to more of a guarded stance on fishing reports, advice, and just general camaraderie. The only board I've not seen this slow progression on is the BTB board and I think that is why it has become one of the most visited.

When kayak fishing was new (at least to the majority of people), information was shared freely. Most people were learning on the fly about how to rig a yak, fish out of one, and anything else yak related. I still remember the threads about milk crates being new, where to get them, and how not to get caught getting them! As more and more people have found out about it, and it isn't the "hey look at that crazy guy in that little plastic boat!" Mentality, I think some of the older crowd has felt cramped up by the masses and gotten a little cynical. This is where i think a lot of the "dont ask the same dang question that was asked yesterday" comes from.

I remember when I first started kayaking, I'd have PB's stop to talk just because they had never seen a kayak before! Even at gas stations and boat launches, everyone would be asking about it. Now you can go to any popular fishing location and there will be groups of kayakers launching and fishing.

I'm not trying to say this is a bad thing, just that times change.

My question is, what can we do to revive the old camaraderie?
osofaraway

Post by osofaraway »

Dean (slowride) and a few others used to be on the forum all the time, I learned many things from these guys that were all to willing to share their experiences and information with all of the rookies, myself included. I really miss their interaction on the board and hope someday their busy lives will allow them to come back and share with us once again. Dean, Blesker ( Hope I spelled it right) I need a new background in the worst way, and your pictures always filled my emptiness of not being down there. I hope ya'll know how much you were appreciated and enjoyed by the rest of us.
BOOMTOWN

Post by BOOMTOWN »

I think a lot of the lack of activity can be explained by the policy of forcing new users' post through the approval process prior to being posted. The couple posts I've made have taken 3-6 days to get approved. Plenty of forums manage just fine without policies that treat new posters as guilty until proven innocent. This policy is totally stifling to new user growth and needs to end.
fenderfishing88

Post by fenderfishing88 »

Im a noob to this website and new to kayak fishing but I finally got my first kayak. I've fished my whole life but when I paddled out for my first time and hooked into a fish it was a rush and I'm addicted now. Thinking about quitting my job and moving to the coast. I got a lot of ideas for building my trailer and building my anchors from here I even got some ideas for mounting my fish finder now if only yall would give me the gps coordinates where yall fish that would be much appreciated . Thanks
Jawz529

Post by Jawz529 »

Well I have been a member of TKF ever since I saw posts on here about my brothers death while kayak fishing. I have not posted much but believe me I check this site everyday. Most of all the btb section and look for mythmans posts. He was and still is (from what I can tell) a great teacher to this wonderful sport. I have not been out on the water in several years due to back issues and surgery. I plan on going out soon though. I have also seen the decline in posts and I'm sure it's due to all the reasons above.

Keep the lines tight boys, and always wear your PFD
newguy

Post by newguy »

What Yaklash said. Seems once you figure the sport out, there is so little fresh and interesting stuff being posted. Not to say there isn't anything new to be learned/shared, it just ain't happening like it used to.
Reel Yakkers

Post by Reel Yakkers »

Heres my personal take.

I was an avid kayak fisherman from 2009 to 2011. I posted in this forum regularly back then and also made kayak fishing videos. In 2011 I sold my kayak and moved on to a boat. The boat treated me well however the maintenance, gas, and storage got expensive sold i sold it last year in 2014. I am a fisherman at heart and needed to get back on the water so I returned to kayak fishing this year. However this time around I found it a lot easier and a lot more conveinent to get my kayak info and report fix from my mobile device via Facebook. I do occasionally check the Forum boards however I have to admit its much easier opening up my Facebook app and getting updates right at my fingertips....

With that said I do miss the camaraderie and the friends I made via this website.
Erock

What has happened to the traffic on TKF?

Post by Erock »

I just haven't been on it as much, not sure why. Fished a few times and haven't been able to post pics through tapatalk for some reason and no banner trips so not much to report. Gonna try a few pics for another test.
Left the yak and got a short wade in Monday 6th morning out of Ernie's in Christmas Bay. Picked up a keeper flounder and a decent speck on a paddle tail. Worked a drop off area on an incoming tide, water was stained and it was a little breezy but had it all to myself! Nice relaxing morning for sure.

Ok, looks like after I updated tapatalk I can post pics now! Also they come out in the order I picked them and I can post more than three! They used to come out in reverse order and the max has always been three? The last few weeks it was saying they were to large and wouldn't do it. So....I guess now I don't have an excuse Lol!
brentos

Post by brentos »

Ditto on the time it takes for initial posts to be approved and post. Mine took a few days. I thought something was wrong after the first 24 hours and tried to post the same thing again.
Hemi Fisher

Post by Hemi Fisher »

Last year, I was able to fish just about every weekend, and posted reports for every trip. I had a baby in November, and I've been fishing a whopping 4 times since...haha. I haven't lost the passion for kayak fishing, so once things settle down around the house, I'm sure I will be back on the water like I used to and much more active here again.
gwinyak

Post by gwinyak »

Can anyone recommend a good light weight hatchet for camping? I lost my old one. It was heavy, but a good hatchet. Now that I'm buying a new one, I might as well get a good one that is light weight as well. I would carry it on the kayak and use it for clearing the campsite and chopping firewood, probably no bigger than 3 or 4 inches around...closer to 3. Does anyone have any recommendations? Something light weight that has served you well over the years?

I asked in camping but got no response. My post now sits on page 1 of 29 pages of unanswered posts. This post seems to be getting a lot of traffic though… :horse:
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

BOOMTOWN wrote:I think a lot of the lack of activity can be explained by the policy of forcing new users' post through the approval process prior to being posted. The couple posts I've made have taken 3-6 days to get approved. Plenty of forums manage just fine without policies that treat new posters as guilty until proven innocent. This policy is totally stifling to new user growth and needs to end.
They do that to keep the spam down. Once you get a few more posts it will go away.
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

I think the Facebook version of TKF is to blame. I recently signed up and was surprised how much traffic it gets. Traffic is high, but content is poor IMHO.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Yea, and from another site, I understand that the owners of sites get no revenue from Facebook. That's not right.

richg99
Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

It's too hot to be outside these days. Everybody has that flesh eating virus now. I'm off during the summer and have to get all my chores for the year done now. I play clash of clans for a quick break. Tons of soccer on TV these days. The list goes on.