Jackson Big Tuna rudder peddles falling off

Mulligan

Jackson Big Tuna rudder peddles falling off

Post by Mulligan »

I'm wondering if anybody else with the Big Tuna, or other Jackson models that uses the same or similar rudder system has the same problem.

The slide track feet pedals keep falling off when pushed. I'm constantly having to pop it back in. I somewhat got used to it, but whenever I let others ride it, it happens to them and if you're not familiar with it, pretty difficult to slide it back on.

Anybody else have the same problem? Thanks.
Tuna1214

Re: Jackson Big Tuna rudder peddles falling off

Post by Tuna1214 »

Where did you buy it? Bet the boys at FTU can point you in the right direction
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

I actually purchased the yak, rudder and had it installed from FTU off I-10. I'm just wondering if its a common issue with the foot pedals. Just don't wanna have to haul it over there. They said to bring it in so they can check it out.
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

I have the same problem with my Cuda. But as you stated, I've gotten used to it. For the price of a rudder, they should be higher quality...
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

@DumpTruck - I know right! $300 for the rudder system. It appears it was installed correctly, maybe just a bad design? I did notice the mounted track has a screw hole at the mid section. The mounted track is only fixed on each ends and when you press on the pedals the mid section kind of bows out a little. I'm wondering if they missed a screw? Maybe I should have FTU check it out. I'm taking it out this Saturday so it'll have to wait another week.
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

Mulligan wrote:@DumpTruck - I know right! $300 for the rudder system. It appears it was installed correctly, maybe just a bad design? I did notice the mounted track has a screw hole at the mid section. The mounted track is only fixed on each ends and when you press on the pedals the mid section kind of bows out a little. I'm wondering if they missed a screw? Maybe I should have FTU check it out. I'm taking it out this Saturday so it'll have to wait another week.

On mine the time it is real obvious is with the seat in the high position. Something about the angle I'm kicking the pedals at. Pain in the butt when the track pops out. I've just learned to be careful with it. But it simply shouldn't happen.

This is the first I've heard of anyone else having the same problem. Perhaps an email to Jackson Kayak is in order...?
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Yes I agree, when on a high position, it's worse!

I hope to hear if others are having the same problem. But even just a two of us having the same issue is a problem on Jackson's side.

Hope others chime in!
WesC

Post by WesC »

I have had my Big Tuna for over a year and Fish at least once a week with it. My pedals are fine. Are you saying the pedal is coming out of the track or is the entire slider popping out of the guide? Mine was installed by FTU on 45 south. when your rudder kit was installed they should have given you Two foot rest mounts that came out of your BT. you could just replace those and see if the pedals mount in there. just a thought on a low cost fix. if it is your pedals i would call Jackson direct and ask what's up?
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

@Wes...the whole sliding track comes off. Yes when it was installed kit came with its own sliders and original ones are in my garage. I may try to use the original ones and see if that fixes it. Thanks for info.
Hugoboss0224

Post by Hugoboss0224 »

I know this is a really old thread... I’ve always had problems with mine and like you guys said I learned to deal with it. I even took it to FTU the 2nd or 3rd year I owned it... they had it for a while and replaced everything... within a few months it was back to falling off the slide track.

Did you guys ever figure something out?
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Hugoboss0224 wrote:I know this is a really old thread... I’ve always had problems with mine and like you guys said I learned to deal with it. I even took it to FTU the 2nd or 3rd year I owned it... they had it for a while and replaced everything... within a few months it was back to falling off the slide track.

Did you guys ever figure something out?
Hugoboss....I hope somebody did! I actually sold my Big Tuna several years ago and went with a pedal kayak, Hobie Outback. You can cover so much more distance with the foot pedal! Hope you figure it out! I think it's a bad design with that slide made of plastic and amount of force being put on it to bend.
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

I still have that OG Cuda. Still same issue. Doesn't see much use anymore, mostly a loaner yak.