Corkies?

FishGONE!

Corkies?

Post by FishGONE! »

Ok guys, I see from everyone post that Corliss seem the way to go for trout durin this time it may be too late but I need to buy some and try them out. At $8 per lure I would really like some hints about which to use. I think dark for dark water and light for clear water still applies right? ImageImage

Also do you simply retrieve or how to you present the lure, like a top water??? Also has anyone used these Imagei saw these and will probably buy then on my next trip but has anyone used these?
FishGONE!

Re: Corkies?

Post by FishGONE! »

Or this corky too, didn't want to load Image
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

This time of year, if I could only have one, I'd have a Pink Corky or Corky Fatboy. There is also one that is clearish Pink w big silver flakes for really clear water.

The rest of the year, Pearl (w chartreuse back) is a regular in my box.

My retrieve is slow unless I'm over hard shell or, if a flat has warmed p late in the day, I'll speed it up a bit.
Hobie83

Post by Hobie83 »

I like any corky with a flash. Also, I change the hooks to Owner st-41. Just an all around better hook. During the retrieve keep it sporadic. Two pops, pause, one pop, longer pause, three quick pops ect. Mix it up until you start nailin' 'em. By far, one of my favorite lures. Check out customcorky.com. Great clear water baits.
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

Don't expect to tie this on and start nailing fish... :lol:

It is a slower paced and your patience will be tested. I have caught a fish on a corky but not after getting into trout that anything I threw they would hit. :dance:

I think I will be trying them in Mansfield in February.
FishGONE!

Post by FishGONE! »

Thanks for everyone's response. Looks like I'm gonna go get some and really focus on finding structure and places which should hold fish. Hopefully I will show some success here in the near future. Thanks again.
thesamarai

Post by thesamarai »

just dont find too many structures, cause replacing 8 dollar lures can get pretty expensive. I like the pink (me dont know about the fish) and thats what I throw all the time
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

I throw a fatboy or regular corky 90% of the time from Nov until April :mrgreen:
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

My personal favorite has become the Devil and the Fatboy.

Remember though, that the lure isn't so much important as it is to find the fish. Finding the fish is still required when throwing cork lures during the winter. But if you do find the fish, you'll learn to fish cork baits much faster and increase your confidence with various retrieves if they are cast to actual trout and redfish instead of blank water. I know that seems a little tongue in cheek but it should never be overlooked. Rat tail plastics still catch a lot of fish this time of year as well (KW Ball tail shad and Tidal Surge Split Tail mullets, as well their Manic Mullet). And don't forget to work the entire water column whether you are fishing cork lures or soft plastics. Let the fish tell you how fast and in what depth they want it.

have fun!
t
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

TroutSupport.com wrote:My personal favorite has become the Devil and the Fatboy.

Remember though, that the lure isn't so much important as it is to find the fish. Finding the fish is still required when throwing cork lures during the winter. But if you do find the fish, you'll learn to fish cork baits much faster and increase your confidence with various retrieves if they are cast to actual trout and redfish instead of blank water. I know that seems a little tongue in cheek but it should never be overlooked. Rat tail plastics still catch a lot of fish this time of year as well (KW Ball tail shad and Tidal Surge Split Tail mullets, as well their Manic Mullet). And don't forget to work the entire water column whether you are fishing cork lures or soft plastics. Let the fish tell you how fast and in what depth they want it.

have fun!
t
Do you also like the floating version of The Fatboy?
javier

Post by javier »

what about water with zero visibility?
SmithFamilyTackle

Post by SmithFamilyTackle »

Slayer21 wrote:
javier wrote:what about water with zero visibility?
Black/chartreuse tail
Clear water throw shiny light-colored Lures
Dark or muddy throw the darker colors preferably in the red or pink spectrum because Texas and Louisiana like red pink.(new Penny)

There are you tube videos on how to use the Corkys.
Also try spoons and spinners
OK here is a secret throw BOOYAH Super Shad or double Willowleaf
Attachments
Gold
Gold
image.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 7230 times
Jesg1224

Post by Jesg1224 »

Echo of several of the posts above. Light colors for clear water and dark colors for off-colored. Most of the time the color doesn't matter very much.
I tend to use the Fatboy more than anything in both regular and floating versions. It just depends on the water depth and structure you are fishing. In shallow water with grass or shell on the bottom, the floating corky will save you some headaches of pulling up tons of grass or getting hung in the shell. If you're fishing a couple of feet of water or more, the regular corky does the trick. I find that my "floating" corkies do actually sink. Play around with the retrieves to figure out what they want that day. If the fish are really lethargic, I typically will let the lure fall for a few seconds (or more) depending on the water depth, 2 twitches and then a slow raise of the rod tip. Reel-in the slack slowly and repeat. They will usually pick it up as the lure is gliding or falling. I'll start with that retrieve and adjust. A fast, below the surface walk-the-dog action with some pauses also works very well if the water is warming up a little and the fish get active. You can even work the floating corky fast almost like a top water and sometimes that does it. Good luck and don't give up on the corky if you don't catch anything. There is a reason that lure is so highly regarded and the fish have to be there for you to catch them.
JayAlan

Post by JayAlan »

If interested in finding the broken back corkies by Paul Brown... You can find them at "The Tackle Box" in Victoria, TX. Quantity is limited in that Paul Brown still pores the broken backs himself. His sons have taken over production of the original design, fat boys, and devil series. The broken backs are pricey, but effective at simulating a wounded bait fish. [youtube]http://youtu.be/br697Ae2D4A[/youtube]

Bruce Baugh from video also sells them for Paul out of Louisiana. I forgot his contact info.

My best luck has been with the Pink/Silver Flake or the Day Glow/orange & chartreuse broken backs.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/kFrqB01-14w[/youtube]
SmithFamilyTackle

CORKIES!
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

Bruce Baugh charges too much for them. Get them from Paul half price but you gotta have the hook up.
Pearl/black fatboy, pink glitter fatboy and Nathan likes the Tx Chicken.
There is no Magic Lure! Yes, certain lures catch nice trout but as stated you have to be on fish then you have to figure out what they want and how they want it. If you go out and tie on a big azz snap swivel just so you can change lures every three casts you are wasting time. Tie on a lure with a loop knot and stick with it for a while. Knowing when to change lures, when to move and when to wait a spot out is a huge piece of the puzzle.
I know people that can cast the same lure in the same spot as people catching fish and still don't catch fish while the other guys are wearing them out. Some days lure selection does not matter and you can catch a fish on a cigarette butt. Then there are days when you have to work for your fish and dial in your senses and even act on a hunch to figure out what lure, color, size, depth etc to get them to open up but once you do it's on!
Don't expect to tie on a Fatboy and drag a stringer of 24" trout in 24 casts but it can happen if you are in the right place.
lurejunkee
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lurejunkee »

macjank7 wrote:Bruce Baugh charges too much for them. Get them from Paul half price but you gotta have the hook up.
There is no Magic Lure! Yes, certain lures catch nice trout but as stated you have to be on fish then you have to figure out what they want and how they want it. If you go out and tie on a big azz snap swivel just so you can change lures every three casts you are wasting time. Tie on a lure with a loop knot and stick with it for a while. Knowing when to change lures, when to move and when to wait a spot out is a huge piece of the puzzle.
I know people that can cast the same lure in the same spot as people catching fish and still don't catch fish while the other guys are wearing them out. Some days lure selection does not matter and you can catch a fish on a cigarette butt. Then there are days when you have to work for your fish and dial in your senses and even act on a hunch to figure out what lure, color, size, depth etc to get them to open up but once you do it's on!
Don't expect to tie on a Fatboy and drag a stringer of 24" trout in 24 casts but it can happen if you are in the right place.
Damn that was well put!
SmithFamilyTackle

Why that what I do. Like that happens.
What he is talking about is patterns. Keep a log and keep trying.
I use an app to keep trace of it all
https://www.myfishpattern.com/Account/L ... fDashboard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Try it, your catch ratio will improve.
SmithFamilyTackle

I forgot one of my favorite line of lures Sebile , this man is a crazy good fisherman. He Made me fee like it was my first day on the water. He has a great website as well. They have a Bonga Jerk witch will work like a corky sort of
Good luck
aguaflaca

Corkies?

Post by aguaflaca »

JayAlan wrote:If interested in finding the broken back corkies by Paul Brown... You can find them at "The Tackle Box" in Victoria, TX. Quantity is limited in that Paul Brown still pores the broken backs himself. His sons have taken over production of the original design, fat boys, and devil series. The broken backs are pricey, but effective at simulating a wounded bait fish. [youtube]http://youtu.be/br697Ae2D4A[/youtube]

Bruce Baugh from video also sells them for Paul out of Louisiana. I forgot his contact info.

My best luck has been with the Pink/Silver Flake or the Day Glow/orange & chartreuse broken backs.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/kFrqB01-14w[/youtube]
his sons have nothing to do with making the Fat Boy, Devil or original. these are now made by MirroLure in Costa Rica.
[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/ata2u5aq.jpg[/img]
http://www.mirrolure.com/paulbrown/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SmithFamilyTackle

If I can find where to get them I'll carry them in my store
frankie14

Post by frankie14 »

macjank7 wrote:Bruce Baugh charges too much for them. Get them from Paul half price but you gotta have the hook up.
Its good to have you on the board Mac!

I never have luck with Corkys, but I do with Fat Boys and Maniac Mullets. For Fat Boys, my two favorite are black back/silver side and black back/glitter gold sides. Maniac Mullet I really like pink and red shad
ranben2762

Post by ranben2762 »

FYI...

Academy has Originals and Fat Boys on sale for $5.99. That's about as good as it gets!
recoil

Post by recoil »

Slayer21 wrote:
5moreminutes wrote:Don't expect to tie this on and start nailing fish... :lol:

It is a slower paced and your patience will be tested. I have caught a fish on a corky but not after getting into trout that anything I threw they would hit. :dance:

I think I will be trying them in Mansfield in February.
Exactly! You still have to be on fish to catch fish. As far as the lure goes it is my #1 this time of year I like the fatboys

It's your number 1 year round... Kill the specks in the winter, string the ribbons in the summer!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I intend to give them a workout tomorrow and see if any specks or ribbon-type fish chomp them. As always, my report detailing the good, the bad, and the ugly will follow. Dare to believe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk