Better pictures of Moto-Yak (yes its registered)

lordbater

Better pictures of Moto-Yak (yes its registered)

Post by lordbater »

ok, I finally got my camera out of the shop, so here are some better quality pictures.. anyone have a spare super-model that would pose for some pics on my kayak?

Moto-Yak
featuring
Sonar technology from Eagle
GPS technology from Garmin
Powered by a heavily modified Motor Guide with 52amp hours worth of electric wheelchair battery.

currently it steers from a pully located next to the seat, thanks to a TKF member in Austin, I'll soon have his spare set of foot pedals. Another set of cables allow me to easily raise the motor for paddling while fishing, and lower it while drinking a cold one back to the launch site.. This yak was originally a 2003 model Old Town Predator K111 purchased from another TKF member from the classifieds forum. (Thanks TKF) . I am fortunate enough to be able to store it in my kitchen while not using it.
Attachments
HPIM1625.JPG
HPIM1626.JPG
HPIM1627.JPG
lordbater

Post by lordbater »

more pix
Attachments
HPIM1628.JPG
HPIM1629.JPG
HPIM1630.JPG
lordbater

Post by lordbater »

more pix
Attachments
HPIM1631.JPG
HPIM1632.JPG
HPIM1633.JPG
Bottom Feeder

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Looking good. To my surprise the trolling motor doesn't look awkward at all. Is it easy to take it offon days you prefer to paddle only?

BTW, Your yak stand looks like something the mechically impaired (me) might be able to produce. I got an A+ in cutting and pasting. Can you post instructions.
lordbater

Post by lordbater »

i'm on my phone right now so its not easy to type instructions, but i will soon.
my major flaw is that it is too wide and tall to fit through anywhere but the sliding glass. a major reason its in the kitchen. i'll cut it down a few inches next week.

the motor will b easilly removed, i need to find the perfect waterproof plug first. it needs to be narrow enough to fit through a 1" hole.

a
XRick

Post by XRick »

We expect to have lots of left over Champaign corks coming up in a couple of days, put a big needle through one with a piece of 30 pound mono and you'll be in business. If that fails they probably make something that is actually made for the purpose that you can find at www.kayakfishingstuff.com
lordbater

Post by lordbater »

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I need a 4 conductor waterproof electrical plug that will fit through a 1" hole.

a
Bluffer
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Bluffer »

Love guys with injunnewaty!....what kind of battery you powering it with & where/how it stowed? How bout run time under normal conditions?
lordbater

Post by lordbater »

I have 2 17aH & 1 18aH batteries wired in perallel for a combined rating of 52 aH total. I have some family that works at a medical supply retailer that was able to 'donate' 2 17ah batteries and I was able to purchase the 18ah for $30 so, it was worth it. The battery feels like it weights 60 lbs, but the manufacturer's website claims 12lbs each..
my initial tests in a wind-protected drainage ditch in Sugar Land showed 8 miles with no signs of weakness on the battery. I fish a sink so my options for placing significant weight are different than a sot. I put the battery right about in the middle of my shins when my feet are on the foot pedals. I'll slide it back if I'm covering a large distance, or the water is choppy, it seems that when its further back its smoother and sits higher on the water, but is easier to maintain balance while anchored while the battery is further forward.

Tomorrow will be my 3rd time fishing with it. My first time I only had the 2 17ah batts and went from Ernies Too through Churchhill bayou, through Cold Pass to San Louis Pass, through Titlam Tatlum to Xmas bay back to Ernies.. I don't know exactly how far it was (dang GPS is not working.) The battery gave out about a quarter mile from Ernies. The second trip, I increased the battery capacity by 18Ah, more than 50%. I traveled from ernies to chirchill through cold pass (fished that area extensively with the motor) to xmas bay, most of the way to rattlesnake point, to south flats, back to ernies... I feel I travled about the same distance as the first, maybe a little more, but the battery held strong.

So. I have all the capacity I need. a normal fishing day should not require me to fish that much area. It has worked out much better than I ever thought it would..

I'm more than willing to assist anyone else that want's to tackle something like this.. just pm me..
a
ARSAN
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ARSAN »

off the subject; but them streets in the background look familiar