friday POC who is down

Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

friday POC who is down

Post by Big Kahuna »

Well I am off on Friday and want to launch out of port o. Just wanted to send the invite out since I don't have any kayak friends out here in Victoria. If you want to fish another area then I am open for suggestions but I want to catch a few flatties :-)

Mahalo
hookdem
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: friday POC who is down

Post by hookdem »

Kahuna,

I'm not available but I do frequent POC and I am usually targeting flounder. Question for ya, I've seen (caught) dramatically less flatties there over the last few years. How have you been doing with flounder? Feel like something fishy going on, with the rest of the coast raving about how the new regs are helping population and size. Have you been catching em all!?
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Kahuna »

Man I haven't fished POC ever and just moved to Victoria this year. But in corpus, I haven't seen this many flounder before in my life. The only thing I can think of is the lack of rain has effected the flows from the rivers and marshes. I am hoping with this cold snap and front coming through on Saturday they should be moving.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Kahuna is the worlds finest sightcasting flounder fisherman...and one hell of a good buddy. I also happen to know that the guy that took his avartar pic is incredibly handsome and talented...

Wish I could make it dude, but I already have plans.
Check with Chuck, I think he is looking for a trip.
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

Not sure when duck season opens down there but it might be something to consider depending on how/where you are wanting to fish. If it opens the 14th, there will probably be a lot of boats running around setting up spreads.
osochuck
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by osochuck »

I will if i win the lottery or find a free rear end for my yukon tomorrow.
It wouldn't make it that far.
Good luck and post up. POC is AWESOME, watch out for the sand / mud at Boggy Bayou, it's deceptive, alot like the stuff on the back of shamrock, looks good but that clay sand stuff no traction at all.
hookdem
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by hookdem »

Big Kahuna wrote:Man I haven't fished POC ever and just moved to Victoria this year.
Gotcha, POC is a great spot to have close to home. As mentioned, if you decide to head into the main bay, be careful around the boat cuts during traffic time, as most all boats will have to travel through them due to random shallow points. lemme know if you find any flat fish...its been a grind for me the last two years. I was there last month, and came home with one smallish keeper and lost a momma. She literally inhaled the bait right at my feet, after the cloud settled, I Bill Danced her knowing that i didnt have much leverage for a solid hookset, she took that upward momentum and launched in the air with a 180 rotation, my jighead hit me in the chest. Uf.
Big Kahuna wrote:I am hoping with this cold snap and front coming through on Saturday they should be moving.
Three weeks ago, I couldnt find em in typical "staging" shorelines, or major cuts. The two that i picked up were in one of the many small cuts to one of the tidal ponds. Tides were way up in November, so cuts that are usually inches of mud/water were big canals. There should have been a couple major tidal flushes by now to get em out of the backcountry and moving. Good luck!
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Kahuna »

Plan is to meet up by the jetty by 745 to 8. Cool weather and duck hunters to be avoided hopefully. I want to explore towards Bar room and work cuts and scattered shell. I throw arties but to each their own. Hope to see some people there but will report the trip. Pm if you need anything. Travis and Chuck this could be a start of the NBuckeys cup challenge.
BlackCuda

Post by BlackCuda »

I hear he has some wicked dance moves before launch!!
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

No legal duck hunters... Split opens Saturday ...
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Kahuna »

SAHunter1983 wrote:No legal duck hunters... Split opens Saturday ...
Good to know talked with some guys at work and they thought it was still duck season in Calhoun County. I don't blast just cast. In wanted to get into it while in cc and own a 12 gauge. Thanks guys for the info
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

No prob... Gotta be aware of all those regs and different splits. I heard about a bunch of people getting nailed last week out of season...
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Big Kahuna wrote:...Travis and Chuck this could be a start of the NBuckeys cup challenge.
Beaver Nuggets...I love me some beaver nuggets...
walkeraviator

Post by walkeraviator »

How did it go? We have to get together sometime. I don't go to POC as often as I would like Cu's I got nobody to go with.
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Big Kahuna »

Went well I had to leave to san antonio as soon as I cleaned fish to spend time with friends and family. I will post up full report tonite. I will pm you next time I go. I have no problem fishing by myself but I prefer meeting new friends and fishing in a group.

Mahalo
dbmet

Post by dbmet »

Would love to go with you sometime.. I'm in Victoria as well..
walkeraviator

Post by walkeraviator »

We should all hit up coleto one day