North or south shoreline with a NNE wind

HtXfisherMan8706

North or south shoreline with a NNE wind

Post by HtXfisherMan8706 »

Well I am going fishing this Saturday and wanted some insight from some season anglers what shoreline would you fish with a north wind? Thanks for the advice in my quest to becoming a successful angler; as these predicaments must be conquered on the way.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: North or south shoreline with a NNE wind

Post by Mythman »

Bay or BTB?
HtXfisherMan8706

Mythman wrote:Bay or BTB?
Bay MM..... Usually always a go for the BTB section of my fishing with a North wind :lol:
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Well I would be little help for bay advice!
HtXfisherMan8706

I appreciate the effort brother! I love catching me some big ol' BULLIES! I also have a knack for chasing them in the marsh. I am FAR from perfecting it and wish to work on my hunting skills a bit more :?
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I almost always look for protected shorelines. But I know people (not kayak fisherman) who often adhere to the principle that windward shorelines get loaded with bait, thus they would rather fish wind blown, muddy water loaded w bait than calmer water with less bait.

But I prefer the clearer, calmer water and the easier paddle. And I do alright, so I'll stick with protected shorelines.
HtXfisherMan8706

Yaklash wrote:I almost always look for protected shorelines. But I know people (not kayak fisherman) who often adhere to the principle that windward shorelines get loaded with bait, thus they would rather fish wind blown, muddy water loaded w bait than calmer water with less bait.

But I prefer the clearer, calmer water and the easier paddle. And I do alright, so I'll stick with protected shorelines.
Yea I was thinking protected shoreline as well... In this case with a north wind looking for a north shoreline right? I am looking into some mainland spots but haven't found any as off now :cry:
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

The winds will be howling on Sat.15-18 with gusts of 26. I had a trip very similar early this year (feb).

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=192438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could fish:
Eckerd Bayou boat channel 29.224461,-94.940867 and inside Eckerd Bayou area.
Lake Como anywhere behind this gps point 29.214695,-94.953023

Those will be very protected from the north winds. Do not venture to Dalehite Cove or anywhere in Dana Cove cuz the water will be extremely low and you will get stuck.

You might try Oak Bayou in GISP

If you want to try the south side of a marsh go to Chocolate Bayou in 2004 or Pierce Marsh. 15mph winds in Pierce Marsh is bad IMO. There are some spots you can find cover, but for the most part its quite an exercise to get to the marsh drain. People just stop by or before the train tracks to seek shelter from the winds.
HtXfisherMan8706

mpg2yahoo wrote:The winds will be howling on Sat.15-18 with gusts of 26. I had a trip very similar early this year (feb).

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=192438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could fish:
Eckerd Bayou boat channel 29.224461,-94.940867 and inside Eckerd Bayou area.
Lake Como anywhere behind this gps point 29.214695,-94.953023

Those will be very protected from the north winds. Do not venture to Dalehite Cove or anywhere in Dana Cove cuz the water will be extremely low and you will get stuck.

You might try Oak Bayou in GISP

If you want to try the south side of a marsh go to Chocolate Bayou in 2004 or Pierce Marsh. 15mph winds in Pierce Marsh is bad IMO. There are some spots you can find cover, but for the most part its quite an exercise to get to the marsh drain. People just stop by or before the train tracks to seek shelter from the winds.
Hot dog! Thank you Manny! Dude this is some super kick :horse: advice. I really appreciate you helping me out like this. And sharing some spots with me and all the others about to read this. Too many thank yous to type haha. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

HtXfisherMan8706 wrote:
Yaklash wrote:I almost always look for protected shorelines. But I know people (not kayak fisherman) who often adhere to the principle that windward shorelines get loaded with bait, thus they would rather fish wind blown, muddy water loaded w bait than calmer water with less bait.

Yea I was thinking protected shoreline as well... In this case with a north wind looking for a north shoreline right? I am looking into some mainland spots but haven't found any as off now :cry:
I am going to Anahuac NWR. Not sure if I'll be able to go until Sunday and by then the winds are forecast to be more easterly than from the north, but Anahuac is protected from both depending on where you go
HtXfisherMan8706

Do u go up there by the park?
frankie14

Post by frankie14 »

I like protected shorelines or using a wind to assist a wade. For example; North wind, wade south along a shoreline that has a variety of features: coves, points, shell, guts, etc. I also seem to have better luck in calmer waters of protected shorelines, as it is easier to see the presence of baitfish and predator fish.
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

I try to base my decision on where the wind will be pushing me back to launch...based on that, I chose my launch site, then try to go find fish from there...

Doesn't always work out that way, but that is what I try to do.
HtXfisherMan8706

frankie14 wrote:I like protected shorelines or using a wind to assist a wade. For example; North wind, wade south along a shoreline that has a variety of features: coves, points, shell, guts, etc. I also seem to have better luck in calmer waters of protected shorelines, as it is easier to see the presence of baitfish and predator fish.

Yea I was thinking a north shoreline, would this work?
frankie14

Post by frankie14 »

Clearly south shorelines and launches are more accessible due to the geographical features of our bays. If its a light North wind, fish where ever you like.. It won't really affect you that much. If its pumping, like it will be tomorrow, I suggest finding an area like Smith Point (E Galveston Bay side, but it may be freshwater with runoff right now) or Jones Bay where you can skirt the shoreline, and not get beat-up on open bay areas.

But then again, I'm not fishing tomorrow due to wind so what do I know?!? :lol: :lol:
HtXfisherMan8706

frankie14 wrote:Clearly south shorelines and launches are more accessible due to the geographical features of our bays. If its a light North wind, fish where ever you like.. It won't really affect you that much. If its pumping, like it will be tomorrow, I suggest finding an area like Smith Point (E Galveston Bay side, but it may be freshwater with runoff right now) or Jones Bay where you can skirt the shoreline, and not get beat-up on open bay areas.

But then again, I'm not fishing tomorrow due to wind so what do I know?!? :lol: :lol:
Well I meant a mainland shoreline. It would be north in reference to those on the island I guess. I was thinking Jones bay too. I am trying to avoid the island as the Biker Rally is gonna be ridiculous.
Hernandezjd

Post by Hernandezjd »

I'm wanting to get out there too, I'm up for anywhere. I just wanna get out on water!! Hell I'd settle for a well stocked pond!! Lol
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

I always used pick protected shorelines because of the clear water, more comfortable fishing, easier paddling, etc. I still choose it if I am hoping for sightcasting or targeting visible bait. However, over the past several years I have had really good luck catching reds on windblown shorelines. Crazy high winds and right against the cordgrass/mangroves. I think sustained winds over several days blowing against a bank really help as opposed to wind just starting to blow from a particular direction.
HtXfisherMan8706

redneckyakclub01 wrote:I always used pick protected shorelines because of the clear water, more comfortable fishing, easier paddling, etc. I still choose it if I am hoping for sightcasting or targeting visible bait. However, over the past several years I have had really good luck catching reds on windblown shorelines. Crazy high winds and right against the cordgrass/mangroves. I think sustained winds over several days blowing against a bank really help as opposed to wind just starting to blow from a particular direction.
This makes sense. I think a sustained wind over a period of time will push them into the north facing coves I.e. Snake iIsland Cove or Ekerett Bayou. This will have them holding there over some time I would think. They won't move on the first day of crazy wind. Btw has anyone ever fished Gaggs?