Mission Bay info???

Eddie Mac

Mission Bay info???

Post by Eddie Mac »

I fish the AP area and really want to try some marsh fishing. Anyone fish the Mission Bay area and the marsh going into Mission River? Is there a put in that is not a couple miles away? What about Bayside, can you put in there? Looks like 3 miles from there to Mission but another 2 miles to cross the bay to the marsh. Mullen's Bayou marsh is closer, is it an accessible marsh? Really looking for any marsh in the Copano or AP area.
mickeyd

Re: Mission Bay info???

Post by mickeyd »

I have run the Mission River down into Mission Bay a few times in my skiff and I have one word: Shallow!
I have seen guys run into the bay on plane but I did not dare. Lots of trees, reefs, et. al. and I just did not know the bay. You would have about a 4-6mile paddle down river from the Mission River Road boat ramp and from the Copano/Bayside area I do not know how far it would be. Maybe the Copano Cruising yak guy from Bayside will have some suggestions. There is an area over on the tip called Mission Lake that is supposed to be good kayak fishing but I have not suggestions as to how to get there. The fishing pressure on that water should be minimal and might be worth the effort. There are a couple of places to launch around Bayside and if you get any info or reports I would appreciate you posting them up.
Good luck.
WestTXFisherman

Post by WestTXFisherman »

I know this is an old post but was wondering if launching from Egery Island would be a feasible plan to fish the Mission Bay Area? We are staying there this next week. We have pedal drive kayaks, so at least it would be our legs getting the workout. lol. Anyone every made that trip?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

IMO, not worth it, you're looking at 6 miles to the mouth of Mission Bay from Egery Island. 4.5 miles if you're launching from the nearest access; Driscoll Rooke Covenant Park in Bayside.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Its only practical if you can ferry your kayak on a boat. Have done this several times. The land surrounding Mission Bay is all private.
If there had been any significant rainfall, The Mission River will dump a lot of fresh water into the bay.
I wish I had a closer put in.
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

It's been years, but I used to put in at the end of an easement located at the corner of Rancho Grande and 1st Street (28.113969, -97.188445) north east of Bayside. If still accessible, this would dramatically cut down on your paddle distance from Egery.
WestTXFisherman

Thanks guys. I just keep looking at Google Earth thinking "man, that looks so fishy." Thats probably too far for us to paddle. Especially since we are used to lakes, still kind of leery of the salt.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

FYI, from anywhere accessible in The Bayside area, it is a long boat ride to the Mission Bay, much less in a kayak of any sort. WestTXfisherman shoot me a pm. When do you plan on being down here? Maybe we can hook up for a visit, although my elbow has taken away my kayaking abilities, I still sure miss it..........cC
WestTXFisherman

PM sent, CopanCruisin