Shallow water skiff that holds 4 people???

Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Shallow water skiff that holds 4 people???

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

Does a skiff that could hold a family exist? I assume none of the awesom flats-style microskiffs would hold 4 but how about the Carolina, Mako (BassPro), Kenner skiffs. Do these have the shallow water performance and capacity? Can they float in 6 inches of water loaded? Can anything?
Justin_Time
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Shallow water skiff that holds 4 people???

Post by Justin_Time »

Bad Luck Guy wrote:Does a skiff that could hold a family exist? I assume none of the awesom flats-style microskiffs would hold 4 but how about the Carolina, Mako (BassPro), Kenner skiffs. Do these have the shallow water performance and capacity? Can they float in 6 inches of water loaded? Can anything?
My 14.5' Shoalwater Cat will hold 4 adults but will not float in anything close to 6". I would estimate it would need a good 10-12" to float and at least 12" to hop up on plane with all that weight.
Black Dog

Post by Black Dog »

One of the problems with trying to float in 6" of water is that it can turn to 3" in a hurry. I was eyeing the Mako 18 pretty hard for me, wife and two young kids. Take all who you intend to ride on it and hop in the boat while its on the showroom floor. You'll get a sense of space or lack there of. I ended up with a 22' Triton and it feels cramped with 4 on board.
The boat show is coming up, you could take the family and try a bunch of them on for size in one day.
CC Red

Post by CC Red »

Take a look at the Majek Illusion. I run the 22' and fishing four off it is a breeze and you can run in spit with the motor tucked in the tunnel. Handle the chop better than I would have expected as well.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

The problem that you are going to run into is that those style boats, for the most part, are NOT deep or rough water boats. Either you will get beat up trying to run through waves or soaked or both. You might even feel unsafe. Nor will they typically have sides which is fine for adults but maybe not so much for kids.

Having said that, I feel very confident and comfortable running through rough stuff in my Fury but its not going to hold more than myself and two adults. Now two adults and two kids...maybe. Two adults will draft maybe 7 inches or so. Maybe 6.
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Well i have both Hobie Outback and a 16' Carolina Skiff and Ms. Is correct while my skiff will allow me to take a couple people and gear into 6" - 8" of water no problem you still have to be aware of the tides, etc. Also as she mentioned some of these types of boats can be bone jarring and very wet rides (My daughter loves the wet part). But I can tell you that if your looking to take 4 people you will need to go bigger and would probably need to go into the 20' + range to be comfortable for 4 to fish. If you want to stay away from the bone jarring just my personal experience is stay away from the pure flat bottom boats.

I have gotten to the point on mine when fishing is no more than myself and one other otherwise its just not a pleasureable experience.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Mr. B and others have said it all above. I have a 16 ft Caro Skiff STD ( old style). floats as shallow as I would want to go.

With Smart Tabs, gets up quickly in shallow water (maybe not 6 inches! )...but...no way would I want to fish with four on board, Three would be a crowd.

Flat bottom.... shallow floating and running...but.... wet in bigger waves. V hull, not so shallow, but smoother ride. Just the way it is. rich
TKFusedtobegreat

Post by TKFusedtobegreat »

Gulf Coast makes a tunnel hull that will run nearly that shallow. Most props are bigger than 6 inches, so you need something that will get enough water to the prop to prevent cavitation or aeration.

In south TX they run these boats called scooters. They are very low-profile hulls that will run on a heavy dew, but you have to be careful in any weather at all because of the low hull design. These are the best flats boats that I have seen, and many are very small, like 12 feet... Cool boats, but maybe over priced.

Carolina Skiffs will run a little shallow, but they sit deep in the water when they stop. They also beat your brains out, don't turn well, and are heavy. They are, however, great if you need to bring your truck with you.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Nothing floats less than a flat bottom hull. You might look at a Majek Redfish line, 21', and it has a substantial tunnel. Yamaha 150 with the TRP lower unit.
Beware, a flat bottom anything will knock out your fillings in heavy chop.
Everything is a trade off. Rigs like a Tran Cat may run shallow and ride better but at rest draft more water. I have a Haynie bay boat, it rides great but drafts more water. I use the Haynie to transport kayaks and to support our local boat repair shop.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Tombo......"and to support our local boat repair shop."

Ha ha ha ha ha! Oh, so true! Rich
racingdc9

Post by racingdc9 »

I have the Mako 17' pro skiff and it will go in 8" of water(poling) w/ total of 3 ppl. 4 is going to be cramp for sure, as in casting. But if you're just riding around 4 is fine.
Bayoutalker

Post by Bayoutalker »

One of the Majek models might fit your needs. Check them out. http://majekboats.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Neighbor swears by his Dargel. Floats in mosquito breeding water, gets up in dry West Texas pasture and seems to be capable of handling big bay chop.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

mickeyd wrote:Neighbor swears by his Dargel. Floats in mosquito breeding water, gets up in dry West Texas pasture and seems to be capable of handling big bay chop.
Yea but can it take 4 people?
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Ms addicted wrote:
mickeyd wrote:Neighbor swears by his Dargel. Floats in mosquito breeding water, gets up in dry West Texas pasture and seems to be capable of handling big bay chop.
Yea but can it take 4 people?
Dargel Skout 220 will carry four fishermen/women, one dog, live bait, multiple rods and get the people on board to where the fish are hiding. It will take them back to home port, filet the fish, wash itself and do all that with a reasonable amount of fuel. My neighbor, his wife, their daughter and son-in-law are typical S. Texans.....not so wealthy, healthy and rather plump....so that gives you some idea of the boat's capabilities. I have seen them load that thing up and head to the Port A. Jetties and beyond in chop that I would not take my mother-in-law out in. On the other hand....if you ever need to head back into the Freeport marsh I will use my little skiff, providing you leave your gps and M.T. at home!
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Tombo wrote:Nothing floats less than a flat bottom hull. You might look at a Majek Redfish line, 21', and it has a substantial tunnel. Yamaha 150 with the TRP lower unit.
Beware, a flat bottom anything will knock out your fillings in heavy chop.
Everything is a trade off. Rigs like a Tran Cat may run shallow and ride better but at rest draft more water. I have a Haynie bay boat, it rides great but drafts more water. I use the Haynie to transport kayaks and to support our local boat repair shop.

Yes have to agree on the supporting the repair shops. One of the big reasons I was hesitant to go back to using a boat for my family sake but it always seems to be something with the maintenance, etc.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

How about something that drafts only 2" with little or no repairs, 4 kayaks :)
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

I assume none of the awesom flats-style microskiffs would hold 4 but how about the Carolina, Mako (BassPro), Kenner skiffs. Do these have the shallow water performance and capacity? Can they float in 6 inches of water loaded? Can anything?
I have a Carolina JVX and it will easily float in less than 6" of water when fully loaded:
http://www.carolinaskiff.com/jvx.html

And, I can typically fish as shallow in my CS as I do in my kayaks. The problem you will run into is getting on plane trying to exit shallow water or pot holes. This is why a good trolling motor + the combination of 4- blade prop / vetillation plate / jack plate / smart tabs are essential pieces of equipment for me. In addition, go with maximum (or more) hosepower than what the boat is rated to handle. The trolling motor will get you in and out of shallow water without spooking fish, doing damage to your prop or excessively running your outboard in the mud or over oysters.

As to the comments on beating your brains out or riding wet...I can certainly see the Carolina J- series being a painful experience through rough chop. But then again, I typically don't go out in rough chop, and get off the water quickly when a storm is moving in. I also have a 20' bay boat with a hyperlift hull and I still get beat up & wet in chop. However, the modified V hull of my Carolina JVX handles chop much better than any flat bottom I've ever owned, and is still able to get extremely shallow. The Carolinas are heavy, but tough boats (just notice what most of the crabbers use where we fish). The JVX actually turn better than my bay boat.

I also looked at the Gheenoes and poling skiffs before I bought the CS and decided they were not practical in our part of Texas. I occasionaly see you and your wife at the marina and would offer a test ride on my Carolina, but I have a very hectic schedule and usually have to fish last minute. If you decide on a Carolina, go with the Boat Ramp in Port Arthur...ask for John...bought multiple boats from him and he has the best prices & service in Texas or LA.
Absolut

Post by Absolut »

You can definitely get a shallow running boat that will take a chop well, and is very well put together (fit and finish)...just depends on how much you're willing to spend. Fishing 4 will be a little cramped though... Check out East Cape Skiffs. They have several models, and are all almost fully customizable. The fit and finish is top tier. Check out the new Florida meets Texas top...it's like a Florida style polling skiff and a scooter combined.
Spuds (Piscator Eximius)
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>°{ . N 29.45.24 W 95.21.19

Re: Shallow water skiff that holds 4 peopfle???

Post by Spuds (Piscator Eximius) »

For what you want to do I'd suggest a Gulf Coast. They took the mold from a classic Boston Whaler so you know it will handle rough water, and added a tunnel drive. Foam filled for safety. They are nice boats.
Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

1texasaggie wrote:
I assume none of the awesom flats-style microskiffs would hold 4 but how about the Carolina, Mako (BassPro), Kenner skiffs. Do these have the shallow water performance and capacity? Can they float in 6 inches of water loaded? Can anything?
I have a Carolina JVX and it will easily float in less than 6" of water when fully loaded:
http://www.carolinaskiff.com/jvx.html

And, I can typically fish as shallow in my CS as I do in my kayaks. The problem you will run into is getting on plane trying to exit shallow water or pot holes. This is why a good trolling motor + the combination of 4- blade prop / vetillation plate / jack plate / smart tabs are essential pieces of equipment for me. In addition, go with maximum (or more) hosepower than what the boat is rated to handle. The trolling motor will get you in and out of shallow water without spooking fish, doing damage to your prop or excessively running your outboard in the mud or over oysters.

As to the comments on beating your brains out or riding wet...I can certainly see the Carolina J- series being a painful experience through rough chop. But then again, I typically don't go out in rough chop, and get off the water quickly when a storm is moving in. I also have a 20' bay boat with a hyperlift hull and I still get beat up & wet in chop. However, the modified V hull of my Carolina JVX handles chop much better than any flat bottom I've ever owned, and is still able to get extremely shallow. The Carolinas are heavy, but tough boats (just notice what most of the crabbers use where we fish). The JVX actually turn better than my bay boat.

I also looked at the Gheenoes and poling skiffs before I bought the CS and decided they were not practical in our part of Texas. I occasionaly see you and your wife at the marina and would offer a test ride on my Carolina, but I have a very hectic schedule and usually have to fish last minute. If you decide on a Carolina, go with the Boat Ramp in Port Arthur...ask for John...bought multiple boats from him and he has the best prices & service in Texas or LA.
This sounds very interesting. What length did you get and what is the ballpark cost of one before options? I couldn't find a price sheet online.