Living on a canoe

Copperspoonfly

Living on a canoe

Post by Copperspoonfly »

http://news.yahoo.com/mans-home-14-foot ... 30143.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an interesting story about a guy living on his canoe in Boston. He says its safer then being on the streets.
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Living on a canoe

Post by billy bobba »

Jeez - I think I would look for a balmier harbor.

Does anyone remember the "Zen Monk" who lived on a floater of sorts near the Brown and Root Flat ?
Of course there were also the folks living on the "Fortuna" sailboat on the Sailboat channel ( hence the name ).
He would come out and blow a bugle around dawn.
One day I asked him why he blew the bugle every morning, and he said it was to scare away the Coyotes before he went to the onshore crapper.

--- And then there was Cutter -- a hilarious guy who lived in his pickup camper where the LHL Park is now. (hence the name Cutters's Lake )
All he ever wore was the same pair of boxer shorts and a Miller Lite . I feel certain he only changed the beer.
He was always very concerned about me when I would come back from a 10 hour paddling day in the LHLs.
One day he looked kinda rough and I asked him what was wrong -- he said he tried to give up the beer, and had started drinking some water.
Said it almost killed him.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Some folks just aren't happy in a conventional home. There are many islands in the Boston Harbor and almost all are uninhabited and undeveloped. And he would have no dangerous critters like rattlesnakes to contend with up there. He'd have plenty of places to explore and camp. I certainly get the feeling of being comfortable in the seat of a canoe.But, it might get a little lonesome out there. And you know it is going to be very raw on the water for him in winter.

No mortgage, no taxes, no maintenance, no commute, no boss, no wife...
No warm bed, no HVAC, no friends over for dinner, no shower, no wife...
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Copperspoonfly wrote:http://news.yahoo.com/mans-home-14-foot ... 30143.html

This is an interesting story about a guy living on his canoe in Boston. He says its safer then being on the streets.
Yes, compared to being conventionally homeless, squatting in city parks, bouncing from shelter to shelter, dealing with drunks, crazies, filth this guy has it made. The article didn't touch upon how he feeds himself. There are plenty of fish to be caught. There are crabs, clams, mussels, lobster. I wonder if he accesses any of the wild foods or just scavenges the city.
SmilinJoe

Post by SmilinJoe »

I have heard of more people selling off much of their possessions and living minimally. This is appealing to some extent but being out in the open in a Boston winter. We may be hearing a different story . Hope he seeks shelter to ride winter out.
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

karstopo wrote:No mortgage, no taxes, no maintenance, no commute, no boss, no wife...
No warm bed, no HVAC, no friends over for dinner, no shower, no wife...
Could do without all those things except for the wife and an occasional shower. She is my best friend and has been for 21+ years.

I have admiration and pity at the same time, but he is living on his own terms and not being a burden on his family or society. It would be interesting to hear his take on the country. Politics aside (which means I am avoiding the topic on purpose, so don't), people like him make this world interesting.