Solo Skiff Yak

Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Solo Skiff Yak

Post by Forever Fishing »

tw1nny03 wrote:
txspeck wrote:Where can you buy Gheenoe for 1k? I will buy one right now!
You can buy a brand new gheenoe 15'4" highsider at any gheenoe dealer for $1,080. U will need to buy an outboard for the gheenoe just like u would need to buy an outboard for the soloskiff. U can cartop or put Tue gheenoe in the back of a pick up. It's only 120lbs and the weight capacity is 675lbs. U can easily fish two people on it. It drafts in 3-5" of water fully loaded.

This is why I went with a gheenoe. I bought mine from pack and paddle in Lafayette, la. My parents live in Lafayette. So I go back to visit them often. I pick my gheenoe up Sept 22. Will have a 9.9 Yamaha two stoke on my gheenoe. When I get it, if anyone is interested in looking at it, pm me.

Those gheenoes are pretty cool but aren't they more like a canoe than a skiff?
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

Some consider a gheenoe a microskiff. It looks like a canoe, but doesnt act like a gheenoe. Its far more stable. You can pole it and fish it where skiffs fish. 3"-5" draft while fully loaded is just as good as a kayak.
SKIFFGUY

Post by SKIFFGUY »

We will have a Solo in Texas soon :)
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Bring it on skiffguy, way on down here to the south Texas marsh. .........cC
Roger S

Post by Roger S »

SKIFFGUY wrote:We will have a Solo in Texas soon :)
Looking forward to that. Hopefully you'll have a dealer set up here.
SKIFFGUY

Post by SKIFFGUY »

I will keep you guys posted !

8)
SKIFFGUY

Post by SKIFFGUY »

Hey guys

Will be in Corpus area Late Friday, and Saturday doing demo's...

Just an FYI :mrgreen:
Copperspoonfly

Post by Copperspoonfly »

What time will you guys be doing demos in Aransas Pass?
I hope be down in aransas around 3:30 or 4 and would like to check out a Solo Skiff. Jeremy
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Let us know where and when. I have to work all day Friday and at least some on Saturday. Over between Portland and Corpus Christi, highway 181 by the new Yak Shack would be a great place. Enjoy your visit.........cC
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

If you search Florida craigslist you will find some good deals on gheenoe packages with trailer and motor but the drive over there and back will cost almost if not more than the purchase itself.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

BigGabe63 wrote:If you search Florida craigslist you will find some good deals on gheenoe packages with trailer and motor but the drive over there and back will cost almost if not more than the purchase itself.

Those gheenoes are pretty sweet but they're more like canoes than skiffs.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

This is way cool!

I would love to have one of these!
Off The Hook
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Off The Hook »

tw1nny03 wrote:
txspeck wrote:Where can you buy Gheenoe for 1k? I will buy one right now!
You can buy a brand new gheenoe 15'4" highsider at any gheenoe dealer for $1,080. U will need to buy an outboard for the gheenoe just like u would need to buy an outboard for the soloskiff. U can cartop or put Tue gheenoe in the back of a pick up. It's only 120lbs and the weight capacity is 675lbs. U can easily fish two people on it. It drafts in 3-5" of water fully loaded.

This is why I went with a gheenoe. I bought mine from pack and paddle in Lafayette, la. My parents live in Lafayette. So I go back to visit them often. I pick my gheenoe up Sept 22. Will have a 9.9 Yamaha two stoke on my gheenoe. When I get it, if anyone is interested in looking at it, pm me.
gheeno $1,080 and no motor???? guess what there is your other $1,000 so you pay the same :horse: :horse:
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

gheeno $1,080 and no motor???? guess what there is your other $1,000 so you pay the same
Guess what??? The Solo Skiff does not include a motor for it's suggested retail price of $2,650. Then add another $500 for shipping (since there are no Texas dealers). If you want a Pelican Ambush, they will run you $2,800 plus $200 for motor mount, then add shipping. It looks like you can actually buy a Gheenoe 13 or 15'4, trailer & outboard for about the same as what it would cost you to get a Solo Skiff without motor or trailer. Actually, you can get Gheenoe's flagship boat, the LT25 + trailer, for what the Solo will set you back...and the LT25 is a boat capable of going off shore and cruising at over 30mph. Based on what I've seen, you'll get way more perfomance in a Gheenoe.
Those gheenoes are pretty sweet but they're more like canoes than skiffs.
While I have never owned one personally, I have done a lot of research on the Gheenoes. They resemble a conoe in shape only and are much, much more stable.
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

Forever Fishing wrote:...Those gheenoes are pretty cool but aren't they more like a canoe than a skiff?
I couldnt tell you...But I do know neither is a kayak :) ...G
Hippel

Post by Hippel »

Kingz wrote:
Forever Fishing wrote:...Those gheenoes are pretty cool but aren't they more like a canoe than a skiff?
I couldnt tell you...But I do know neither is a kayak :) ...G
Well put, Kingz. But it does seem like the lines are beginning to blur a bit. Paddling, pedal drives, micro trolling motors, boats with small outboards that you can still paddle and pole.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

No doubt neither is a kayak but you don't have to paddle them either. That means you can cover more water, get to places you normally can't effectively fish and the thing that appeals to me most (especially as I get older), you don't have to paddle home. But you can still fish where the yaks fish.

It's true the Soloskiffs aren't cheap relative to a non Hobie yak (I saw a ProAngler 12 at ACK the other day listed for over $2800.) But man they are a very versatile boat for shallow water, perfect for the flats fly fisherman, and just look at it...nice and sexy! ;)

By the time you get one powered with a a 4 stroke, push pole, geared up and get it to Texas you're looking at $4k at least. That's not easy to swallow. If you compare it to the price of a boat or other micro skiffs it's a pretty good deal considering where it can fish. I've heard they are going to offer financing in Texas for them soon. Let's see $3k (with a $1k down payment) over 3 years is about $75/month. That's doable for some folks. Does Hobie offer financing?

Oh well we'll just have to see how it goes. Wonder how they paddle/fish?
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

It is not looking to good, already Friday afternoon and no follow up or info. Oh well.......cC
SKIFFGUY

Post by SKIFFGUY »

We are in port aransas today be near tarpon shores accross street I have bad data reception... anyway be out there 10 am for few hours perhaps at orvis shop after

Tom 9042942621
Johninaustin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johninaustin »

Very nice boat and looks to be high quality, but I cannot see dropping that much cash on such a specialized boat.

Maybe some of the richer guys around here. :mrgreen:
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Did anyone make it to check these out today? I let work get in the way again.........cC
JPChavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by JPChavez »

Kingz wrote:I couldnt tell you...But I do know neither is a kayak :) ...G
X2.