X-RAY Vision

mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

X-RAY Vision

Post by mpg2yahoo »

I have been reading posts about Costa del Mar polarized sunglasses to hone in on fish in the marsh. Someone recommended Costa 580 lens as a personal preference and I saw there are Costa 400P, Costa 400 CR-39, Costa 400G, and who knows what else...

1. Is the lens code a way to categorize color or is there more to it?

I fish in Clear Lake/Galveston area, especially in GISP. That been said...

2. Is there a particular lens model that works best for our water color and weather. Maybe something that would be an intermediate option for changes experienced for sunny vs. cloudy days?

3. Not that I can't afford the Costa del Mar, but are there other options available to consider that are cheaper or do the shades made by Costa del Mar are "It" to get that X-RAY vision?

More information and unbiased opinion would be appreciated before I pull the plug (wallet).

By the way, I went to Costa del Mar website and noted they have G and P lenses for 400 and 500. I guess P is for polarized and is the one I want, right?

Thanks!
lsu1975

Re: X-RAY Vision

Post by lsu1975 »

The number is related to the lens type. Multiple shade/colors are available in either lense type. Don't ask me what the difference is because both types are available in glass and plastic.
EdK

Post by EdK »

P should mean prone to scratching. 580G is what I would recommend. G = Glass. You should call them. Those Fla fellas are helpful. http://www.sunglasses-int.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WlongTX

Post by WlongTX »

The 400 and 580 have to deal with the amount of yellow light they block out on the lightwave spectrum. The 580's block out more visible yellow light than the 400's.

The "g" and "p" in the code refer to glass versus poly-carbonate lenses. The glass are more scratch resistant than the poly, but the glass can break if dropped. The poly's are shatter proof but they scratch more easily. The CR-39's are poly also.

I might be wrong here but I believe all costa's are polarized.

https://www.costadelmar.com/perform/color" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you go to this link Costa explains the lens colors.

That all being said I have a pair of 400g with the green mirror and I love them. Some people swear by the 580s, I went with the 400s to save a few dollars.
vanjr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by vanjr »

I have a pair of 580g lens with a redish tint. I got them on the advice of a local expensive dealer. Do NOT get the red lens. my costas are the biggest waste of money I have spent on fishing stuff by far. I can't speak to the other tint colors. Only good thing is when I fish topwater with a red eyed lure those red eyes literally glow back at me.
WhiskeyBravo

Post by WhiskeyBravo »

580G is the best in my opinion (bc they dont scratch) the frame is personal preference. If you are going to get the 400's just buy the oakleys cuz they are a little less and the 400's wont do what you want them to (have X-ray) If you want true x-ray vision get 580 G or P but after a while the P's will scratch and it will suck. The blue or green hue are best for sun reflecting on the water into your eyes. I have had mine since December. Everytime i go fishing i am still amazed to this day. I see things that i never knew were there. If we go fishing together for the day then you are more than welcome to use mine for a while. I can guarantee you that when a "whole new world" is revealed too you, you will find a way to cough up the 250$
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Thanks for all the responses. I have a better understanding of Costa's product and have hints of what not to buy like red color lenses and pro/cons of glass vs. poly's.

It appears the 580's are the optimal and top of the line when spending on this item to be able to see through the water and find the fish. I now need to see if I can find one 580G that I can RX.

Very helpful info. Thanks.
vanjr
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by vanjr »

mpg2yahoo wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I have a better understanding of Costa's product and have hints of what not to buy like red color lenses and pro/cons of glass vs. poly's.

It appears the 580's are the optimal and top of the line when spending on this item to be able to see through the water and find the fish. I now need to see if I can find one 580G that I can RX.

You can get perscription lens at a number of places. Mine are perscription with progressive lends so I can read/thread my line through the hook eye.
Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

What color lens would work best for lakes and streams?
WlongTX

Post by WlongTX »

Cudadude wrote:What color lens would work best for lakes and streams?
My limited knowledge would suggest the copper/amber based green mirror or the silver mirror.

check out this link

https://www.costadelmar.com/perform/color" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

WlongTX wrote:
Cudadude wrote:What color lens would work best for lakes and streams?
My limited knowledge would suggest the copper/amber based green mirror or the silver mirror.

check out this link

I looked at that site, it was a little confusing..lol I only really seen one picture that looked like he was ocean fishing all the others looked relatively same. Thanks for your input.
Cave Diver

Post by Cave Diver »

mpg2yahoo wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I have a better understanding of Costa's product and have hints of what not to buy like red color lenses and pro/cons of glass vs. poly's.

If you think Costa's are expensive as is, brace yourself for the price of getting Rx lenses ($600-ish). I wear glasses and am in front of a computer screen all day. Contacts wear out my eyes staring at a screen, but I wear them when wearing sunglasses. That's the route I go when fishing.

I think everyone is a skeptic until they experience it first hand. Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give them a shot. Bought the Brine 580g green mirrored, amber tint. WOW! Even if on a budget, I would say that these are a requirement. However, to protect my "investment" these are dedicated fishing glasses. I keep them in the case at all times unless I'm on the water.

A friend recently bought some based on all the recommendations. After his first outing, he was a convert.

There was a great comparison photo on this thread, but the pics can't be seen now.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=172028
PM JPChavez and see if he'll send them to you.

Also, there's a ton of different styles/fits. If you decide to order online, make sure you know what fits you. When I tried them on in the store, I was so concerned with a comfortable fit, that I overlooked an obvious point. There's a little gap in my field of vision on the top where I see sunlight. Luckily, I'm always wearing a hat, so no big deal. Good luck.

-Tom
Blindcasting
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Blindcasting »

mpg2yahoo wrote:I fish in Clear Lake/Galveston area, especially in GISP. That been said...

2. Is there a particular lens model that works best for our water color and weather.
I am not familiar with the water color or clarity in your area, but I can say that I've been extremely happy with my 580's in the green mirror glass for the bay areas from Rockport to South Padre.

Obviously if the water clarity is poor to begin with, then these are going to provide less benefit.
dadavis
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by dadavis »

I got my precription 580G's about 2 weeks ago and cannot believe Ive gone so long without precription sunglasses. I got the green tint. The lenses alone are $420 plus the cost of the reg glasses. My total bill was $605. BE SURE you tell them you want the original lenses out of the frames(since you are paying for them anyways). The place I got mine was gunna send costa a new pair of glasses and they would put precription lenses in and send back WITHOUT the original lenses. Thats a CROCK! Needless to say I have the original glass that comes with them.
*** They are worth every penny****
Last edited by dadavis on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

For the bays and marshes in the Galveston area (muddy chocolate milk clarity) you will want to go with the green mirror lenses. For clean/clear or offshore water, get the blue mirror. If ordering online, find a local retailer and try on the different frames before you buy, there is SO much difference from one frame model to the next even in the same frame size it is definately a try before you buy purchase. Personally, I would recommend the 580G, to me, they are just more durable than the poly lenses.

If getting them in an RX, be prepared to shell out some big $$$$, I took mine in to get an estimate for Rx lenses and it was almost $700 for just lenses, add another $100 for frames. Do like the other guy suggested and wear contacts under the regular glasses, save a LOT of kayak rigging money.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I wear sunglasses 8-9 hours a day on the waters of Galveston Bay. I've got some 400's and 580's. In the past I used the 400 thinking the 580 was hype, then I tried them. The difference is incredible. It's not only the added visual enhancement for seeing into the water, I actually feel less fatigue at the end of the day. I lost my 580s a while back and had to go back to the 400s for a few days. I found myself worn out and feeling sleepy on the ride home. Got my new 580s and went back to feeling good again.

Regarding glass vs poly, I go against the grain on that one. I use the poly because they are a good bit lighter. Given the amount of time I wear them I prefer to keep them lighter. I just make sure to wipe them with a soft cloth and if they have dried salt spray on them I wet the lense before wiping. I'm alsp careful where and how I set them down. No problems with scratches.

Regarding color, amber or copper. Different folks see things differently and don't always agree which one is best. I read a study that suggested eye color has something to do with the preference of lense color annd darkness. Blue eyed people overall prefered darker tints while those with dark brown eyes wanted lighter tinits. As far as mirror it comes down to personal preference. Studies have shown that there is very little gained by adding mirror to the lense and it is more of a style issue than actual performance.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

Blindcasting wrote:
mpg2yahoo wrote:I fish in Clear Lake/Galveston area, especially in GISP. That been said...

2. Is there a particular lens model that works best for our water color and weather.
I am not familiar with the water color or clarity in your area, but I can say that I've been extremely happy with my 580's in the green mirror glass for the bay areas from Rockport to South Padre.

Obviously if the water clarity is poor to begin with, then these are going to provide less benefit.
I've heard this before, but I tend to disagree. Really good sunglasses help a great deal in our off-colored water. Many times all I can see of a redfish is the outline (sort of a shadowy figure) against the bottom. I couldn't do what I do with lesser lenses, I've tried.