Gheenoe Anyone

Gray Ghost

Gheenoe Anyone

Post by Gray Ghost »

I have been looking at the Gheenoe Line of Boats, does anyone out there have one or had one. Since there are no dealers in Houston I would like some feedback on the hull and practically on the design for our back bays down south. Thanks for the comments and support in advance.

Also is anyone has a microskiff for sale I would be interested in looking

I can be reached at baugh.robert@att.com
Tombo

Re: Gheenoe Anyone

Post by Tombo »

Check with TKF Stubbs, owner of this site. He owns one.
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

I have been looking at the Gheenoe Line of Boats, does anyone out there have one or had one. Since there are no dealers in Houston I would like some feedback on the hull and practically on the design for our back bays down south. Thanks for the comments and support in advance.
I do not / have not owned a Gheenoe, but have been looking at them hard for the past several months. I was in the process of buying a Super 16 from a gentleman in Florida, but then TP&W talked me out of it after I inquired about buying a boat from a non- dealer / individual that is out of state, and the risk of not being able to get it registered here in Texas.

If interested, I found a dealer in South Florida with great prices, plus a very affordable method to ship...however, it would require you to drive up to the southeast corner of Arkansas to pick it up. There is a dealer located in Louisiana, but is high on price and short on options. Occasionally, they also pop up for sale on craigslist here in Texas, but nowhere near the deals you'll find in Florida.

Here is a link to a list of Texas Gheenoe owners, and the best website capable of answering your questions:
http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/view ... sc&start=0

Perhaps the most knowledgeable person that I've spoke to on Gheenoes is Pugar Gheen at Custom Gheenoe. I would also be very curious to also hear what the owner of TFK has to say about his Gheenoe.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

Yes, I'm a happy Custom Gheenoe owner. It not only makes a great mothership for distant marsh flats, but its a great little fishing boat on its own. Mine is an LT25 with center console, poling platform, 55# Minn Kota remote controlled trolling motor pushed by a 25hp Merc. My wife and grandson love it as much as I do. It will run in 6" of water and float in 4". Its great to sit on the poling platform and run the trolling motor while someone fishes from the bow. It will pull 2 kayaks or I can lay my Manta Ray 14 beside the console and take off by myself. I think I've found the perfect match for my kayak fleet!
Attachments
Custom Gheenoe Barry.jpg
CrazyAl

Post by CrazyAl »

Yeh, they are really nice. I've done lots of research on them and other similar micro skiffs. My Bro. In Law lives in Orlando and some of his buddies fish them and they all really seem to like them. My problem is I just can't get over the price. I think you are gonna spend 10K (maybe more) for a nice one that's a year or two old with a 25hp engine. That is a lot of money. You could have a pretty decent auminum tunnel or a Carolina Skiff or something. I dunno, I started a boat fund for myself and the Gheenoe is still on my short list, just wish we had a whole bunch of used ones around here like they do in FL.

I'll keep hauling fish in with the Hobie until I can afford one I guess. :lol: :lol:
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

gheenoe stern.jpg
Check Ebay. A guy in Arkansas has one which he says he will let go cheap(whatever his definition of cheap is). MIne came from a dealer in Central Florida to Aransas Pass via a boat transporter(about 875 bucks) which was less than I could have driven over to La or Miss(nearest dealers to Tejas) for when you add in gas, food, motel, etc.

The LT 25 has since been rigged with a 20hp Tohatsu tiller outboard, rod holders, push pole, etc.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

That looks pretty interesting. I wonder how quietly you can move around in so you don't scare the fish?
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

I've always had an interest in these, who's the dealer in Arkansas?
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

Lots of Gheenoe owners and discussion here --

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gray Ghost

Post by Gray Ghost »

Thanks everyone It appears that everyone that I talked with yesterday like the boat and they function well in our bay system. Looks like now all I have to do is go get one
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/2894037563.html

Seems like a reasonable deal...if in like new condition.
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

A friend of mine in Corpus has had one for awhile now.
He has really enjoyed it.
If you get one just be aware that it's not an "all conditions" boat.
Choose your use locations , routes and weather with care.
DEPTHCHARGE

Post by DEPTHCHARGE »

bighop has a 2007 listed for sale right here on TKF...

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 5&t=176350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CrazyAl

Post by CrazyAl »

1texasaggie wrote:http://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/2894037563.html

Seems like a reasonable deal...if in like new condition.

Is that guy selling the boat and the truck for 9500? lol I can't tell from his posting. That seems to be an excellent deal if so, the boat looks like it's really clean and if the truck runs at all, I assume it's probably worth 2-3K. Haha, gotta love craigslist.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Bighop in Victoria has a clean rig. He got his from the same guide in N. Texas that Stubbs got his from(if think....) and should have all up to date Texas legal stuff.
No dealer in Arkansas. The guy on Ebay is selling as an individual after he got it off a dealer in his area for what he says is a good price.
Our nearest dealer is in Cajun Country near Layfatte(sp?). Graves Gheenoe in Mississippi is one heck of a nice guy but the drive from Fulton and back was just too much for me.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Gray Ghost:
Check out the above link to the Craigslist Gheenoe. If you did not want the truck anything near what he is asking for that rig is a great deal. Go to Graves Gheenoe's website and price that boat out with what he has on it, add another 800 or so for the trailer and you will almost want to head down to Brownsville to check it out. Custom Gheenoe and Gheenoe.net also have pricing but you can see a good comparison of models on the Graves website.
Until Gheenoe goes into production with their 18' flats boat that Super model is their most stable and top of the line.
Good luck!
CrazyAl

Post by CrazyAl »

Someone just needs to talk ACK into selling these things then we would be in business!
Gray Ghost

Post by Gray Ghost »

The deal on Corpus Craigslist is no longer for sale. I talked to the owner yesterday and I am picking it up this week

Looks like my Kayak and I have a new taxi

Thanks everyone for the input
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Gray Ghost wrote:The deal on Corpus Craigslist is no longer for sale. I talked to the owner yesterday and I am picking it up this week

Please post a review of the boat after you have had it a while and have had a chance to take it through its paces. I had never heard of it before now but I might like to get one, too.
CrazyAl

Post by CrazyAl »

Gray Ghost wrote:The deal on Corpus Craigslist is no longer for sale. I talked to the owner yesterday and I am picking it up this week

Congrats man. That was a sweet looking ride. Did u buy the truck too? Lol. Please post some pics of the boat and let us know how you like it after you get a few trips with it.