RUDY COULD NOT HOLD HIS STRINGER......

picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

RUDY COULD NOT HOLD HIS STRINGER......

Post by picaroon »

I fished the Galveston Bay system as a kid especially lower West Galveston Bay. At a point every other foot print on that bay bottom was mine. I knew Rudy all the way back to when I was about 12. Its best that I not say more. I got burned out on Galveston in the 60's and went south to Port O'Conner and Sea Drift and in the 80's moved to Baffin.

The first time I went to Baffin was in the late 60's as a guest of a group of old guys who sure knew how to fish. I managed an invite as often as possible and along with some friends in '86 bought their cabin. Th cabin was orginally built in about 1950 and was well used by a group of teachers, doctors and other professionals. All outstanding fishermen and a very fun loving bunch...........One of these guys, "Chatter Allen" was the best fisherman I have ever known. Rudy could not hold his stringer. Chatter caught a 15 lb trout on a silver Johnson spoon with a single SShook. It was not certified because there was no such program at the time. I have photo's of the fish and the mount.

I have a world of old photo's that some of you might like to see..........www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPCLKgbrGQI
javadrinker
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: RUDY COULD NOT HOLD HIS STRINGER......

Post by javadrinker »

those are wonderful pics, my uncle used to have a cabin down near 97-A ... good times for sure back then
Flat Top

Post by Flat Top »

Great slideshow! I could picture my grandpa or my old man in many or those photos.

Based upon the selected "artwork" inside the cabin, I would guess that the ladies were not allowed! :lol:
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Midcoast Mark
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Midcoast Mark »

So here are a couple of questions:
Were the times so much better back then or is it just our memory (mine is shorter than yours, but still)?
Was it that there were more fish or better fishermen?
What would the fishing be like today if they had our limits?

And most importantly,

Is that 12 year old brat you helped learn to cast a line going to speak of you in equally glowing terms 50 years from now?
The answer is yes if you repay your mentors by treating him with the same respect and kindness they showed you!

Pass it on.

And thanks for sharing.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Very cool! Thanks
redfeather

Post by redfeather »

Paul,
Dam those are some big trout and reds...
I believe that in the 60's and 70's the commercial fishing took a huge toll on the ICW...
Once CCA got establish and starting slowing all that down...well it has helped...
Those heyday times may never return...
Thanks...
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

Redfeather.................you are 100% correct. The very first time I went to Baffin I saw gill nets and trot lines were everywhere. There was a "Commercial" on Twin Palms that had two 24" plywood skiffs loaded down with iced trout, reds and drum. I walked the King Ranch shoreline across from our cabin which is the next island north of Twin Palms and there was a big trout about every 50 yards. Not like that now.

What you do have now is people. On a good Saturday you will have 200 or more boats pass our cabin. We are on the ICW. You probably have that many on the Rivera end of the bay. That is a lot of pressure. In the 60's it was more like 4 or 5.............I blame a lot on that on Bird Island which turned a 35 mile hike from Red Dot into a 15 mile hike...........much better and faster boats now.........The fishermen are much more competent with much better equipment.......
deputydawg

Post by deputydawg »

I enjoyed looking at those. Thanks for posting them. :clap:
living4fishing

Post by living4fishing »

Thats a great video....man it looks like back then times were just so much simpler...
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

the price of gas, to get to Baffin was a whole lot cheaper !!
picaroon
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by picaroon »

Jack I have a collection of photo's that would knock your socks off...........One of these days I will work up the energy to get someone to help me post them. These photo's include all the Texas record trout........The ones you see in this YouTube presentation came from Mrs. Allen, Chaters wife. I have access to the photo's of some of the other cabin members plus over twenty years of cabin logs. Some very, very interesting stuff.........
thetango9r
Location: Portland, TX www.yakshackllc.com www.facebook.com/yakshackllc

Post by thetango9r »

Such a great pack of pics to see on a morning like this. All the smiles on those faces with biggg fish and lots of them!!! Thanks for posting this. Makes me miss my grandfather more and more especially when he would come home on Saturday afternoons from Nueces Bay with a wash tub full of big reds and HUGE trout......... :D
CentexWraps&Signs

Post by CentexWraps&Signs »

My grandmother worked for him. My father was lucky enough to grow up fishing with him on and off. I sure wish I would have. I have always heard the same stories as you have. Would love to see a book put together with those lost pictures. He is history worth sharing. I grew up going right by your cabin as we went to Jimmy's "church" very often. Grew up with that crew so to speak, Atkins, Peetz, Doughty, etc... So, I get where you are coming from, heck I think we have stepped on yalls pier a few times back in the day. Anyway, reach out to me and maybe we can make it happen. Stew1tx@ aol

Cheers my friend

Brian
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Awesome photos! There is one with nudes in background. Those were quite popular back in 80s, I remember my friend's room walls were covered with them :mrgreen: