trolling motor wire

tw1nny03

trolling motor wire

Post by tw1nny03 »

So I need help cleaning up the installation of the trolling motor on my outback. I dont know where to buy the water proof wire plug at. I need to find a way to run the 5wires from the trolling motor to the switch inside my kayak.

Where can i buy this plug at? The plugs I saw at academy are only for 2 to 3 wires. I have 5 wires for the 5speed foward and 3speed reverse switch.
Attachments
trolling motor wire.JPG
Flatfish
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: trolling motor wire

Post by Flatfish »

there was a drain plug on my WS Ride, I just ran the wires through it and put silicone around them
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

Forgot to mention that I have to run the positive and negative wires from inside the kayak to the outside of it bc i have the battery in a milk crate.
awendel

Post by awendel »

You should be able to go to any place that sales trailer wire hookups and get a small 6 way round male and female plug. I've seen them at tractor supply and most automotive parts stores.

Oops, just noticed you wanted water proof. Those I mentioned won't be. Have you checked with Bass Pro Shop?
caldvn

Post by caldvn »

Most likely the image you have posted is for trolling plug/wire, that's 2/3 wire. If you're utilizing the EM from Minn Kota, it only uses the 2 maybe 3? wires since the system itself pulses the power. Otherwise the 4 wires control the amount of power going in so you don't drain the battery fastery. 1 wire is ground, 2 wires control the fwd power, and the 3rd handles the reverse.

That's why I recommended the 2 batteries, they fit snuggly inside the kayak. That big ass battery you got, no way in hell that's getting in there. :)
Last edited by caldvn on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

What kind of troll motor do you have? I have a Minn Kota and it only has four wires. Cabelas has a couple of waterproof 4 wire connectors under auto & boat accessories.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

Check with an electronics distributer. Someone like:

Mouser.com
Newark.com
Alliedelectric.com
Etc

They will have what you need, but you'll need to know the size wire, how many conductors, and how many amps you'll be pulling. After that, be ready to pull out the wallet! If its not a standard connector the general public uses a lot, your going to pay a premium for it.
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

caldvn wrote:Most likely the image you have posted is for trolling plug/wire, that's 2/3 wire. If you're utilizing the EM from Minn Kota, it only uses the 2 maybe 3? wires since the system itself pulses the power. Otherwise the 4 wires control the amount of power going in so you don't drain the battery fastery. 1 wire is ground, 2 wires control the fwd power, and the 3rd handles the reverse.

That's why I recommended the 2 batteries, they fit snuggly inside the kayak. That big ass battery you got, no way in hell that's getting in there. :)
Might have to order the same batteries as you on amazon! You still in for thrusday?
caldvn

Post by caldvn »

tw1nny03 wrote:
caldvn wrote:Most likely the image you have posted is for trolling plug/wire, that's 2/3 wire. If you're utilizing the EM from Minn Kota, it only uses the 2 maybe 3? wires since the system itself pulses the power. Otherwise the 4 wires control the amount of power going in so you don't drain the battery fastery. 1 wire is ground, 2 wires control the fwd power, and the 3rd handles the reverse.

Might have to order the same batteries as you on amazon! You still in for thrusday?
Let me know what time to go down. Otherwise if I don't go, you're propeller less. :)