Kayaking Safety

Brucell

Re: Kayaking Safety

Post by Brucell »

X
Last edited by Brucell on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mertz09

Post by Mertz09 »

Good info by all thank you..
TX Bay Fisher

Post by TX Bay Fisher »

I'm sure its been mentioned somewhere but i consider myself to have an excellent sense of direction but always keep a compass in my PDF. You cant count on GPS and i was once caught in the middle of the Laguna Madre when weather shifted, fog and clouds rolled in and everything looked the same color grey. One of the few times i had no idea which direction was which. Compass made it easy to get back where i needed to be but i could still hear boats running full out using their gps (scary)
WisherFisher

Post by WisherFisher »

There's too much to this post for my eyes to read through the whole thing, however, I'd like to add my tidbit relative to safety gear.

Get a good safety whistle. I personally recommend the "Storm Safety and Survival Whistle". It's dubbed, and really is, "the loudest whistle in the world". This thing is excruciatingly loud. I got one as part of my scuba gear. If your PFD came with that little "tweet" whistle, this is the best upgrade there is. Made In America and sold on eBay for less than $6
Attachments
1462723503680-1441164656.jpg
Russ in Rockport

Post by Russ in Rockport »

No,Doug--not just a good post--but a great post. I have not read every single post on the thread, but I do have a few comments I didn't see on the first couple of pages:

First, a really good PFD that surrounds your entire upper body is a great preserver of warmth as well as a flotation device.

Second, if it gets really, really cold and you have to shelter in place, the water prior to the front can be far warmer than being wet in the fast moving air. This should not be taken too far, though as the progress of cold weather continues.

Third, I did see the advice about wearing synthetics and agree with them wholeheartedly. I did not see anything so far about wearing a hat--for sun protection in the summer (along with plenty of fluids and electrolytes) and in the Winter for warmth.

Fourth, always carry a spare paddle. If you lose yours, it is like having an $80 thousand dollar bay boat with no motor. It's just easier to swim towing your Yak than the big boat.

Fifth, I am sure someone mentioned it but carry your cell phone in a water proof container and a WP VHF radio.

Sixth, this was covered repeatedly, but you couldn't hand me a winning lottery ticket if you required me to paddle anywhere, anytime without a GPS. I learned this when running in a power boat in heavy fog, from a cabin I had with some no good fishing buddies right by the Big Jetties in POC, to the Little Jetties and the ICW. I guess I was in the main channel and suddenly I heard the Mother of all foghorns go off--and a huge Crew boat had spotted my sorry little butt on radar. After that, I took a GPS, plotted a course about 200 yards off and parallel to the channel and ran in that way, then curved back to the ICW. A life saver.

Seventh, Paddling skills cannot be over-emphasized. Even if you are venturing only into shallow water, learning proper double blade technique, twisting at the waist and using upper back muscles rather than "arming it" will leave you less fatigued and able not only to enjoy your paddle but to respond positively and forcefully when and if danger threatens.

I agree with wearing some kind of PFD at all times, especially if alone.

Best regards,

Russ
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Nice contribution Russ. Good points for sure.
jharry3

Post by jharry3 »

One thing you can do if you don't want to wear your life vest all the time is get a ski belt.
They are not a "Coast Guard" approved life vest so you will still need a legal one on board but a ski belt is a lot cooler to wear and if you happen to fall out it will keep you floating. Academy sells them in for different sized waists.
I started doing this when I was into kayak racing - I promised my wife I would always wear a PDF and this is how I did it - the regular vests were way too hot for high effort paddling.
Note that ski belts do not meet requirements for the Buffalo Bayou Regatta.
oilburner

Post by oilburner »

Glad for this topic & great replies.
Always leave yourself a way out, even on open waters!
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

No real details on this yet but another kayaker lost to the water.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/fami ... police-say
Kalait

Post by Kalait »

Searching for Bilge pumps today I found one which pumps 8 gallons per minute cost $29.95 Seattle Sports Breakaway Bilge Pump from Austin Canoe and Kayak, my plan is to add tubing over the expulsion port to get water away from the boat.
Ptslmbttx

Post by Ptslmbttx »

Where could a new person take a safety kayak class in the beaumont/pt Arthur area?
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Being completely without experience and waiting for delivery of my kayak, I am definitely interested in paddling/safety courses. Does anybody know of anyplace that offers them in the Austin area? Google turned up nothing but rentals and tours. I am sure they have some basic instruction with the rentals, and will try that if it is the only option in my area. Seems like it would be more advantageous to have an experienced and responsible paddler guide me while I am using my own kayak.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I don't know of any kayak training or kayak safety courses in the area. Here's a YT video that has some good paddling info regarding techniques.

I recommend before you buy a bunch of accessories you won't end up using take the kayak out a few times and fish out of it. Keeping it simple and not overloading your kayak will help. I would take maybe 2 Plano 3700 tackle boxes and keep everything under the seat and have a small cooler in the back with water/drinks to start. PDF, paddle, couple of rods (max) and spend some time on the water.

One thing to consider. That kayak is super wide and while it should be stable if/when you do flip it make sure you are able to flip it back over. Do a test in shallow water but don't stand up when turning it back over to simulate being in deeper water. For wider kayaks like yours you may need a pull strap to help get the kayak back over after it has been flipped. Here's a good video on doing this. http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=235745
DocHolidayFishing

Post by DocHolidayFishing »

You are a quarter mile BTB, turtle, and it's blowing 15kts...your yak will be halfway to Cancun before you can swim in your PFD to catch it. Maybe even your buddy cant get there fast enough. The paddle keeping cord may be OK if you happen to have your paddle in hand.

If not, the velcro ankle strap used by surfers safely connects you to your sled.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

How about a dry suit? In SoCal I only kayak fished in shorts & T-shirt. Now in Oregon, I have a Kokatat SuperNova Angler semi-dry suit. It would be a death wish not to wear it out on the ocean here. If not needed in the Houston area fisheries, I'll sell it before moving to Houston.

I didn't see mention of spare Mirage Drive cables. I've had mine break twice while out on the ocean. I now carry a spare idler cable, chain, nylock nuts and wrench (vacuum sealed) with me.

Throwable rope too. https://smile.amazon.com/Scotty-Throw-5 ... 127&sr=8-9

Yesterday's kayak catch from Depoe Bay, OR.
IMG_3004.jpg
creekstone

Post by creekstone »

Nice catch! I really like the idea of vacuum sealing your repair kit.
impulse

Post by impulse »

On the topic of kayak safety...

Today I was looking off the balcony onto West Bay and saw 2 bright orange dots moving up and down in the distance. Only when they got closer, I could see it was a kayaker. (I was wearing my cheaters for reading and not for distance)

Those orange paddle blades made the guy stand out about twice as far as his olive drab kayak itself. With all the idiots running their skinny boats at 60MPH in 2' of water, that added visibility could make all the difference.

A guide buddy of mine from Jamaica Beach tells me stories of the kayakers and especially waders he's almost hit when he ran up on them in the pitch dark. He says waders are the worst because they're not required to have any lights at all.

Here's what I did to mine. Reflective and fluorescent.
Attachments
Paddle Stickers.jpg
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I was kayak fishing Aransas Bay with Neumie and some guys when a fog bank came in and blanked everything out. The last things I could see as they were enveloped were one of their paddles with yellow blades and one of their caps with a flashing beacon on it. The paddle reflectors are a good idea. My carbon fiber paddle really needs them. My other paddle has white ABS blades. TexasJim
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

TexasJim the flashing beacon light the gentleman had on his head is similar to the 360 head light I've been looking for. Something that would be mounted on maybe a Gopro head strap or something similar that could be taken off easy and not take up a lot of storage room. A lot of 360 lights don't stick up above the kayaker which makes them at times completely useless depending on what angle that kayaker is and if they do extend high in the air many don't store very easy unless you spend 100 bucks on one. A 360 head light to me solves a lot of those issues. I can make one easy enough but finding one that would switch to a strobe mode would be handy.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Hey, Jerry: I didn't know the guy with the hat, but he was from Dallas. Josh probably knows him. His cap looked like a gimme ball cap, but had the beacon on top, and it was really visible. We left shore in the dark, and I could see him forever. After it got light, he turned it off, but when the fog hit, he turned it back on.

I saw your name on the Bob Hall Pier wannago list. You taking the Viking? I'd like to see a video of 100+ kayakers hitting the surf!
Catch 'em up! TexasJim
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

TexasJim wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:17 am Hey, Jerry: I didn't know the guy with the hat, but he was from Dallas. Josh probably knows him. His cap looked like a gimme ball cap, but had the beacon on top, and it was really visible. We left shore in the dark, and I could see him forever. After it got light, he turned it off, but when the fog hit, he turned it back on.

I saw your name on the Bob Hall Pier wannago list. You taking the Viking? I'd like to see a video of 100+ kayakers hitting the surf!
Catch 'em up! TexasJim
Yes sir I'm planning on making that outing in the Reload. I've been down with a slipped disc in my back since January but starting to get back in paddle shape. Have a ways to go but I am determined to be there. Hopefully the surf and current will be in our favor.
impulse

Post by impulse »

SWFinatic wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:00 am....A 360 head light to me solves a lot of those issues. I can make one easy enough but finding one that would switch to a strobe mode would be handy.
Amazon has a bunch of them, most looking like knockoffs of each other, starting around $15 for one and $20 for 2. Search "hat light". They all seem to claim 230 degrees of visibility, leading me to wonder if that's the requirement for some application.

Example (one of many, with no particular preference on my part):

https://www.amazon.com/Headlamp-Recharg ... B099FCHFKB

Edit: I'd definitely be wearing one if I was wading in over a foot of water at night. Those skinny boats seem to love running full speed in the dark. And it's not like the good old days when you were safe wading in knee deep water.

Also, be careful of the strobe. A flashing white light is an emergency distress signal, and we're all required to respond if we see it. From 1/4 mile away in the dark, you may draw more attention than you want if you're strobing...
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks Impulse I've seen the ones like you linked. They're nice but I'm looking for a true 360 degree light like kayaks are required to have. Seems like it would be handy to have but may end up being a headache to wear.

I hear ya on the strobe. It would only be in situations where I needed to get a boater's attention if the 360 light wasn't doing the job.