HOME | MESSAGES | ARTICLES | MAPS |LINKS | CALENDAR | CONTACT US
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: need a good crabbing spot near galveston
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am 

Just seeing if anyone knows of a good place to crab around galveston, I understand the crabbing and oystering is down because of the bp spill, any good area to crab would be helpful...my last place on east galveston had a small bridge over a canal that was cut but the last storm closed it up/

Post subject: Re: need a good crabbing spot near galveston
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:22 am 
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

That bridge over the canal that drains The Lagoon into the HSC has been reopened for a long time FYI.

I also like to crab on the N. Jetty on Bolivar. Take the ferry over and it's a left at 17th, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:42 am 
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

I don't have any specific spots but I prefer bulkheads and piers over grassy shorelines. I like places not frequented by crowds of crabbers and not adjacent to areas that have commercial crab traps - you won't find any big crabs in those areas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:43 pm 
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Milkjug wrote:
That bridge over the canal that drains The Lagoon into the HSC has been reopened for a long time FYI.

I also like to crab on the N. Jetty on Bolivar. Take the ferry over and it's a left at 17th, I believe.

maybe a right at 17th, a left will take you to the intracoastal.

which is not a bad place to crab - take the ferry, and take your first left just as you are coming out of the parking lot. Follow the winding road to the bridge that is out, park somewhere. There is a an oyster lake on your right, if the water is up, there will be crabs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:48 pm 
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140
Usually anyplace you see me trying to fish, there will be crabs all over the place.... *sigh*

On a serious note, I like the spillway area in San Leon, the pier in San Leon on 19th St I think is also pretty decent. I always used the ring nets with chicken leg quarters for bait.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:45 am 

The bridge over the lagoon on the east end of Galveston was tops for crabbing untill Hurricane Ike wiped out the little bridge and sand closed up the lagoon, I was down there last OCT and the little bridge was gone and the lagoon was nothing but stagnant water much like Galveston, Prior to the Hurricane we would spend an hr on that little bridge and come home with an ice chest full of 7 inch crabs and I would bring them home and place tham into my converted horse water trof and keep them untill they molted and always has a good supply of soft shell crabs...GOOGLE street map was not much help,,,guess I will take a drive down there this week.,,,thanks to all that have replyed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:55 am 

Well I took the 72 mile each way down to Galveston last week to visit my old crabbing spot that someone on this forum said had been restored,,,Well, the old lagoon that was THE BEST crabbing location on Galveston Island prior to Hurricane Ike is now gone, no lagoon, no bridge, no nothing, 144 miles for nothing,,,but then it really was not a lost day, I took one of my metal detectors to a clear lake location I have fould spanish treasure before and dug up a 1798 Doubloon in mint cond,, my 6th one from that area about 6 inches under the dirt, and going back today. wish me luck. :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 pm 
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

what's a doubloon worth and show us a pick!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:46 am 
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

they are starting to show up...Dad caught 4 big males in the trap tues nite in about 4 hours with poor bait....all 4 were
eaters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:12 pm 

Chicken is ok bait but it's getting too expensive, necks usta be cheap ...Well, I use the cheapest bacon I can find and tie them into the loop nets that lay flat ..best crab bait I have found thus far.,,,Someone today at Academy told me about a good crabbing location at a place called Carpenters Bayau and I have not been able to find it on any Texas map.I live up by Tomball so I need to keep distance at a min ,,All I need is about 30 good sized crabs, that will do me well till the fall as I keep them in my tank until they molt. Nothing better than deep fried soft shell crabs/ Racoons like em too. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:24 pm 

what about red cove bay?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:40 am 

This one is [i]near[i] Galveston....

If you drive from Surfside to SLP, you will find a very large crabbing pier on the left on the Blue Water Highway. Probably the exact type of place that you're looking for, just a ways away from your old spot....