Hobie outback or Cobra FND?

tw1nny03

Hobie outback or Cobra FND?

Post by tw1nny03 »

I'm looking to buy a kayak tomorrow. Im not familiar with fishing spots. I've only fished at oyster creek in Freeport. My target fish are slot reds and specs. I would like to fish the bay, marshes, creeks, or where ever there is slot reds and specs.

Should I go with a fairly new Cobra FND with a trolling motor (side mount) for $750 or get a 2009 hobie outback for $1k?
SlimeyLimey
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Austin, Texas!...........Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Re: Hobie outback or Cobra FND?

Post by SlimeyLimey »

My good fishing buddy "Gatoryak' has a Cobra 'fish and dive', I have a Hobie 'Adventurer" with the mirage drive.
He's a fair few years older that me, and HAULS A$$ in that thing! Literally speeds along at the same speed as me, pedaling my rear off.

So, I have no idea what you should buy. :lol: But I would leave the trolling motor at home, definitely.

You don't need it! :oops:
Parrothead
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Re: Hobie outback or Cobra FND?

Post by Parrothead »

I agree. Leave the motor at home. A FnD with a motor on it is like cheating death! LOL! As a long-time Cobra FnD driver I can tell you that the FnD does great in the bay and over the flats. It has a very good bottom with one of the thickest cores of plastic on the market. But it's not a long-trip boat. You're fine if you're paddling less than 5 miles in a day. No problem. And the boat, with its 600lb capacity will haul everything you need. I would be highly suspect of a motor on it however since you'll be in such shallow water that you stand a really good chance of damaging the prop.

The Outback is good for long distances, but you have to be very careful of super shallow water as you can damage the fins. You'll need to learn to flutter kick the fins. Also, sitting side saddle on the Outback isn't as comfortable as it is on the FnD.

As far as comfort, storage and stability goes, the FnD wins hands down. But for distance and hands free fishing, the Outback wins. Just like anything else in kayaking, it's a trade off. And where are you getting an Outback for a grand?