My evaluation on the Ocean Kayak Torque

dpd620

My evaluation on the Ocean Kayak Torque

Post by dpd620 »

I took the new Torque out to Smith Point yesterday and was able to evaluate it in some less than favorable conditions. The water level was very low, wind was higher than I would like, and it was too muddy to launch from the bank, making it poor for fishing but pretty good to test the new kayak.

Pros

1. Kayak is easy to set up and make ready to paddle or fish. All of the bungee straps are well placed and easy to reach. I added two Scottie flush mount rod holders behind the seat area and that location works well for me.
2. The motor is light enough to carry easily and the skeg plug fits in the front hatch with no problem.
3. The motor was also very easy to install and the wiring harness is a simple plug and play.
4. The Torque, being made on the Prowler hull design, was very stable. I had no trouble balancing at all.
5. I had to launch from the power boat ramp and took the kayak and battery down to the ramp in two trips. It was easy to just sit the battery in the bin and connect the battery terminals.
6. The kayak was easy to maneuver with the help of a kayak cart.
7. In the water, the motor and rudder were very easy to use. I trolled hands free with no issues at all. The variable speed was nice and top speed was a lot quicker than I can paddle.
8. While in the water, the motor would not be easy to reach for everyone. It can be done but I have fairly long arms making it easy for me to reach everything.
9. I took the motor out and inserted the skeg plug which did make the kayak paddle like any other non-motorized model. With the rudder down and skeg plug in, it paddled very well in my opinion.

Cons

1. The seat, even though I upgraded to the Custom Deluxe, was not nearly as comfortable as my Manta Ray.
2. The kayak is heavy. Without the motor and battery, it weighs about 70 lbs. The battery is easily another 40 and the motor is about 20.
3. It was a bit difficult to load on the trailer and launch into the water with no assistance. This is much easier with another person to help.
4. For people with no trailer, it is too long to transport in the back of a short bed pickup.
5. The seat area stayed wet, as any other Ocean Kayak product I have used does.
6. Some people may be able to, but I cannot reach the front hatch while on the water.
7. If the water depth gets below about 18", your out of luck using the motor and rudder.
8. Don't even try to paddle with the motor out and no skeg plug in. Since I couldn't reach the front hatch I tried to paddle to my wife for help, but just made circles. With the rudder down it was ok, but in really shallow water it was no good at all.
9. There is limited storage if you keep the area above the motor clear. There is a cutout area for a dry box that doesn't interfere with motor installation and removal, which is nice.

Overall I like the Torque very much for fishing water over 18" deep. I believe that I will get a lot of use out of it and really enjoy its benefits. I probably will not take it fishing if I am going alone. Other models are much easier to launch and also load on a trailer or truck. All in all, I definitely got my money's worth in this kayak.
lcso41

Re: My evaluation on the Ocean Kayak Torque

Post by lcso41 »

Wish I could have seen you going around in circles. Thats too funny..
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

thanks for the review. I am looking at one but the shallow water part is a hurdle. A few of the cons can be fixed pretty quick but I have never put anything in my front hatch that I would need on the water.
T_Sad

Post by T_Sad »

straddle kayak and scoot to front then you have access to front hatch on any kayak. :D
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Post by pdt818 »

Always nice to hear other peoples reviews on products. The Torque is a pretty sweet set up. Odd that your seat area was wet though. I am a bigger guy and I don't draw any water into that particular model.

Jerron
salty_dreams

Post by salty_dreams »

I got a torque and and now i want to go back to a tarpon 160. I got mine for sell if anyone wants it lol. I just feel that the torque takes the ez factor out of the kayak.