Fort Myers, FLA....any TKF'ers fished there in Feb.????

fishinmachine

Fort Myers, FLA....any TKF'ers fished there in Feb.????

Post by fishinmachine »

Hi folks,
I have the opportunity to go to Fort Myers next week and may have some time to fish for half a day or two. Does anyone here have any experience with yak fishing, surf fishing, or wading the area? Most interested in which species we'd most likely find willing to bite in February. So far, I've learned that snook and tarpon are probably low percentage bets.
We may spend a day on Sanibel near(or in) the Ding Darling refuge. Pine Island Sound is not far away, either. We're staying fairly close to the Caloosahatchee River in Fort Myers. Not hauling my yaks along, we'll rent for a day if we decide to yakfish or look at the manatees. Full moon coming up, so we should have some good tidal movement.
Any ideas will help, there are a lot of different types of water nearby!

FM
Backlasher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Fort Myers, FLA....any TKF'ers fished there in Feb.????

Post by Backlasher »

Go to paddle-fishing.com and post up. Those are some good guys we met during the old Extreme tournaments. They can help you out.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I fished the Ft, Myers area in Feb. Beautiful water and lots of it. The snook got battered in the freeze last year and off limits for maybe another year. The reds are there in large numbers, if you know where to find them. Specs are abundent. Tarpon require a very knowledgable guide.

I was fortunate to fish with someone who knew the water, but without such assistance, it would be tough to have much success. Just too much water to cover with the fish, like everwhere else, only occupying about 15 % of that water.

It's a great kayaking area and kayaking is very popular. Just be careful, cause if you think our Gulf Coast power boater are discourtous, you ain't seen nothing yet.

It's not a place for Slowride, as the Manatees are everywhere. And, while a docile animal, their great size can make for a nervous scare when in close proximity to one's kayak.
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

Thank you, KK and Backlasher.