A couple of questions from a rookie

Humble Texan

A couple of questions from a rookie

Post by Humble Texan »

Glad to have found TKF! Long time wade fisherman anxiously gathering info for first yak purchase. For you experts; When I say kayak to my wife, her eyes cross and her hands go to her hips. Soooo, I think I need a tandem. "Come on darling, spend some time with me". I would like a very stable platform, (55 years old and a bit unstable myself) easily rigged for fishing and also easily propelled/handled if I get to go out by myself. Cobra Tandem?? maybe??

As you may have guessed by my handle, I live in the Humble area and would like to check out some kayaks "belly to belly" so to speak. Any suggestions on local store/dealer locations in North East Harris County.

I think I am going to enjoy this adventure!
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

Welcome, glad you found us. I'll let the more experienced guys chime in on tandem selections, I've never tried one. I am not aware of a kayak shop in your neck of the woods, but there are several around town.
Barry
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Barry »

HT
I've been told that getting a tandem is the quickest route to a divorce. I don't know this from personal experience as I've found faster ways to run them off. However, I might have to give it a try if all my old stuff doesn't work. LOL
Humble Texan

Post by Humble Texan »

I've been told that getting a tandem is the quickest route to a divorce

Hmm, that easy huh? Naw, I'll hang on to her for a few more years.
But may discard the tandem idea anyway.

Noboat: What stores/dealers would you suggest?
Jetboy

I've got an OK Drifter ...

Post by Jetboy »

Welcome aboard HT,
I am also new to kayaking and did some research before my purchase looking for the most stable yak. I ended up buying an Ocean Kayak Drifter. It's wide, paddles well and stable enough I can stand up in it. Is a wet bottom sit on top yak though (heard something about a new,drier Drifter model coming out soon). This was the model that worked for me because I mainly fish from it and wanted a real stable yak. Good luck, the best thing to do is paddle before you buy. Maybe find a rental place and try out some with your wife before you buy.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the comments Jetboy.
Certainly will check out the Drifter!
fishin'
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by fishin' »

Took my sweetie to a Paddlefest to try out lots of different boats. Let her make the decision with a little explanation of what features to look for and possible shortfalls in some of the models (for our particular use). Rented her a yak...T120...(I already had a T160) and took her fishing for White Bass during the Spring run. As she had already been out in the T120 before we went to the paddlefest, it was a pretty easy decision between 2 boats (Mars and T120). She chose the T120 for better stability and better hatch/tankwell. Now there is no looking back, she loves her own yak.
We never entertained the tandem thought. :lol:
JerryS

Post by JerryS »

I have an OK Ambush.
Wt. 100 lbs. Holds 850 lbs.
Very stable and comfortable for two.
I picked mine up at Wind, Surf and Paddle Sports
on Nasa Rd. 1.
Cutrate also carries them.
I am your age and can handle it myself with wheels and a car carrier.
The trolling motor mounted on the
rear makes paddling alot easier. :wink:

Regards, JerryS
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

I am guiding out of a Perception Mandalay tandem. I looked all over for a bit before I settled on this one. It just was introduced last year so you will not see very many of them. It has a lot of dry storage and even has a top-side center spot for a kooler. You can see several pics of in on my web site http://www.leftyray.com

Post by Guest »

I think SW Psddlesports is probaly your closest store. Very nice folks. Lots of yak knowledge. And they used to have a free paddling class with boat purchase. This was about 6 years ago. I don't know if they still do that. Good luck on your purchase.
Humble Texan

Thanks for the guidance!

Post by Humble Texan »

Jerry S: Don't know much about it but your setup looks outstanding. Also, your left bicept is bigger than my two thighs! Suppose I could handle a 100 pounder? Really nice! Just out of curiosity, why are you working from up front position? Is this a better location when going solo?

Left ray: I am going check out the P. Mandalay. A cooler is of absolute necessity! Good wesite.
gonefishn

No Tandem

Post by gonefishn »

Hello Humble Texan :)

My advice to you is to get 2 singles !! :)

my husband & bought a tandem when we first started, ( I don't know what we were thinking)

Big mistake

I had forgotten why we ever sold our bass boat, it was because the boat didn't have a trolling motor on the front & back decks!!

In other words we never wanted to fish the same area, also disagreed on "where the big one's were".

Long story short , We now EACH have a Cobra Fish n Dive & we "Fish Happily Ever After" :)

Encourage your wife to go and rent 2 singles for a day, I think it would really be better.

Good luck,
Nan
Humble Texan

Post by Humble Texan »

Thanks Nan.

Actually, I would be very pleased if my wife were to take an intersest not only in kayaking but also fishing. Lot of work ahead of me.

I will take your advice and do the rental thing.

How would you rate your Cobra?