launching/fishing galveston causeway bridge

Da Rook

launching/fishing galveston causeway bridge

Post by Da Rook »

I discovered this road over by galveston bait & tackle that takes you all the way to the base of the causeway bridge and thinking about launching my kayak under the bridge. Anyone ever launched there before? How's the fishing under the bridge or the adjacent RR track bridge? Anything to watch out for?

appreciate any heads up or tips!
dr.flatfish

Re: launching/fishing galveston causeway bridge

Post by dr.flatfish »

DR , I don't know about the launch(thou I've seen it on google earth) . I have fished under the causeway and have done ok. Can't tell you any specifics other than between the two bridges or around the concrete bases of the cw. The tide movement would dictate which side to fish on. Sometimes the birds will even show you the right spot. All said you need to take caution because of the strong currents and barge traffic. And don't do it solo too many things can happen under there( oh did I tell you don't do it alone). if you decide to make a trip PM me maybe we can hookup. tightlines.
alex6528

Post by alex6528 »

I have been wanting to give the causeway a shot myself as well, either at night or the day, if either of yall want to try to mee up one of these weekend i'd be up for it.
fangard

Post by fangard »

I've launched from there several times. As long as you stay away from the middle(railroad drawbridge) there is very little boat traffic. I usually work my way out 5 or 6 tressels and start fishing. Like said before, figure out the currents. There is a lot of structure under the RR bridge and I have fun catching mangrove snapper. If no luck there, continue past the RR bridge and work the coastline.

Have fun, be careful.

fangard
s1rGr1nG0

Post by s1rGr1nG0 »

Way back when I was in high school the family had a PB and we fished around the bridge several times. We were never really good fishermen so we didn't do much "catching" but with all that structure I bet there are some good fish around there. Probably lots of Sheephead and maybe some snapper?
Da Rook

Post by Da Rook »

fangard wrote:I've launched from there several times. As long as you stay away from the middle(railroad drawbridge) there is very little boat traffic. I usually work my way out 5 or 6 tressels and start fishing. Like said before, figure out the currents. There is a lot of structure under the RR bridge and I have fun catching mangrove snapper. If no luck there, continue past the RR bridge and work the coastline.

Have fun, be careful.

fangard
you have better luck during day or night time? Get pretty deep after the 1st couple of tressels?
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by aggie182 »

As far as launching, I can't help much there as I am new to kayaking. I grew up in Galveston and fished the train bridge a lot with my old man. The arch we fished near has a lot of crap on the bottom so it seemed to hold fish pretty well. We'd typically throw live shrimp and would pick up trout and/or reds on a fairly consistent basis. We'd always anchor on the outside of the train bridge on the Galveston side a certain number of arches over.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Rook, I see tons of people bank fish that corner but not too many yakkers. Doesnt mean its not good though, I really dont know. It seems like that corner is lined with rocks though which could make launching kind of a pain. I havent looked at it close up, just noted that in driving by.

Keep in mind that the causeway now has bunches of lights that shine down on the water all night the whole length of it. I havent fished it at night (and I wouldnt in a kayak) but the trout fishing is supposed to be killer at night over there now.

....and a disclaimer for those contemplating fishing there...some pretty good ripping currents run through there. Its a good place to get in trouble fast.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I know around the rocks last year, there were lots of mangrove snapper. I'm wondering if they've returned or did last winter's freeze get them? Does anyone know?
sammyboychumchum

Post by sammyboychumchum »

I've heard that you can catch Mangrove Snapper at the causeway. Now is this a myth, or has it really happened. It's been my understanding that they aren't in these waters around or surrounding the Galveston bay complex. If anyone actually knows, let me Know. I wouldn't mind trying to hook into one. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
TooOldForThis

Post by TooOldForThis »

You can launch from the boat ramp at Tiki Island. It's not a long paddle.

I'll join you for a night trip sometime, but if the wind is over 5 to 6 knots, I'm not paddling out there at night. That's very rare. I have only trusted the conditions at night for that once in the last 3 months. There are safer places to night fish.
Work2Fish

Post by Work2Fish »

Fished it a few times with moderate success. The launch you're asking about is rocky but definitely doable. DO NOT go across the gate where larger ships go. I'm speaking from experience, I crossed it in OK conditions and I had waves even with my head, felt like I was on a rafting adventure. Wear your PFD at all times for sure. The RR bridge can be shallow on a low tide, so watch your lures, boat, etc. With the ripping currents mentioned above you may want to bring something to anchor to the bridge pilings. Have Fun!
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

TooOldForThis wrote:You can launch from the boat ramp at Tiki Island. It's not a long paddle.

I'll join you for a night trip sometime, but if the wind is over 5 to 6 knots, I'm not paddling out there at night. That's very rare. I have only trusted the conditions at night for that once in the last 3 months. There are safer places to night fish.
You just answered a question that I had about launching at Tiki Island. I have been fishing to the east, and fishing to the west (Freeport), and looking to come back to that area. I looked on Google Earth and it didn't even look like Fat Boys was was still there. I'm thinking about dropping in there this Saturday and was curious about the Tiki ramp.
I too would like to do a night trip down there sometime. I've heard alot of night time success stories, but I've only fished there in the daytime. With a short notice, I could do a Fri or Sat night.
Ozark Gringo

Post by Ozark Gringo »

The causeway can be a great spot to fish, but it's definitely a spot where you're going to want a buddy. The conditions can get pretty sloppy if there's much wind since you're basically in the open bay without much protection and, if it's a particularly large tidal swing, the currents can be pretty strong too. And as far as the current is concerned, you want to be there when the tide is moving because that's when the fish will be most active. When the current slacks off, the action will slow down and you will mostly be catching dinks.
It's a great spot to fish, but bring a buddy and pay attention because it can get sketchy at times.
kwrob

Post by kwrob »

I'd be in for it if anyone has a weekend date in mind? I've fished there twice before with some success. Winds this weekend are not looking good for open water.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Wind and current can play a big factor at the causeway. Watch the weather sites before you go. The next BEST opening looks like Monday or Tuesday.
Here's a tip...Look at tides and winds. If the tide is going out it will help you paddle to the causeway from public ramp near bait camp on north side of bridge. The winds blowing from the south will slow you down a bit but the current should get you there quickly without hard paddling. Same thing in reverse if the tides are incoming or the wind is different.
In other words plan your trip around the causeway and Tiki based on the tides and winds and you will have a better night out.
I like to go about 8 PM and the bite starts at about 8:30-9:00 pm after the sun sets completely. I use the tides and get to bridge. I fish until the bite slows or the tide changes so I can use it to get to Tiki west side. I then make sure the winds and tide are going to be in my favor to get back to ramp from Tiki. A bit of planning makes your trip better.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

kickingback wrote:Wind and current can play a big factor at the causeway. Watch the weather sites before you go. The next BEST opening looks like Monday or Tuesday.
Here's a tip...Look at tides and winds. If the tide is going out it will help you paddle to the causeway from public ramp near bait camp on north side of bridge. The winds blowing from the south will slow you down a bit but the current should get you there quickly without hard paddling. Same thing in reverse if the tides are incoming or the wind is different.
In other words plan your trip around the causeway and Tiki based on the tides and winds and you will have a better night out.
I like to go about 8 PM and the bite starts at about 8:30-9:00 pm after the sun sets completely. I use the tides and get to bridge. I fish until the bite slows or the tide changes so I can use it to get to Tiki west side. I then make sure the winds and tide are going to be in my favor to get back to ramp from Tiki. A bit of planning makes your trip better.
Great advice, and logical too. Thanks!
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

I fish the causeway pretty often. I park and launch from under the bridge. I'm taking a trip next Friday night if you would like to join me and my cousin. It's all but guaranteed catching once you figure out what they want. Pics are from Thursday and Friday night trips I took last week. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

I am thinking about doing a day trip tomorrow with a couple of buddies, so I was doing some preliminary scouting of the area on Google Maps and the Tiki Island ramp location stated that it was "permanently closed". Under the bridge or on the point may be the drop spot.
Also, just read an interesting article about Mangrove Snapper in Galveston Bay. It said that due to the mild winters, increased water temps, and increased salinity that they were becoming more common around areas with structure. The lethal temp for them is 52-58 degrees, so one cold winter could " knock them back to their typical range" Article also stated that there was no bag limit/ length limit.
Papa33

Post by Papa33 »

How'd the trip go watersky?

WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

Papa33 wrote:How'd the trip go watersky?

Due to the wind I decided to fish Christmas Bay area. It was rough to say the least but I stayed in the cuts and channel and fished the grass lines and drains. I did make it to the mouth of Cold Pass but didn't venture far into it because of the wind and boat traffic. I managed a couple of fish, and had lots of short bites and missed a couple of hooksets. I was introducing a friend who has fished mostly freshwater to the "salt scene". It was not a productive day for him, but he enjoyed it despite the windy conditions.

A big "congrats" to my buddy and fellow TKFr "LC2HL" for placing 5th in the LSKS tourney. He fished one of our usual locations and despite catching some rats, and one oversize red, took two to the scales and won some cash, a rod, and a bunch of other goodies.