Big props to Slowride

TCU Reefer

Big props to Slowride

Post by TCU Reefer »

I just returned from Rockport today and had reserved some kayaks yesterday to fly fish LHL. As everyone knows, the wind has been whipping lately. Jennifer calls me Thursday to inform me that the wind forecast for Friday was going to be pretty strong. I ended up calling her back and cancelled our reservation.

This really says a lot about a business and what their true intentions are. In this case, Jennifer had her client's interest as a priority. She could have not called and I would have had a heck of a time battling the wind with my little 6 wt. Instead, she was proactive about letting me know about the conditions even though it sacrificed a little revenue. What a great impression you made on me.

So big thanks to Jennifer and Dean (Dean replied to some emails and answered several questions I had). I plan to make this trip annually and I will definitely be using Slowride for future trips.

Thanks again.

Steve
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Big props to Slowride

Post by Kayak Kid »

This is not an isolated or rare display of the Slowride organization's character. That's one of the main reasons why Dean and Jennifer operate one of the more successful guide services on the Gulf coast.
yak-n-fly

Post by yak-n-fly »

I was in LHL on Thursday morning and the wind was brutal. Made for tough fly rodding. I think I saw Slowride in a group of 3. I was the one standing up on my yak drifting over a flat (or may I say; being blown over a flat)! Lots of redfish in there though!
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

You cannot go wrong with Dean and Jennifer! They are honest, and they are winners!
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Jennifer was trying to get her honey-do list started early on Friday... ???

Just kidding,,,, Great family business.... !!!!!
Buckeev
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Buckeev »

Harold Ray wrote:You cannot go wrong with Dean and Jennifer! They are honest, and they are winners!
Good folk...fer sure! :clap:
c-dawg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by c-dawg »

Yeah,yeah, great people yada yada yada. But they got me started on all this kayak foolishness in the first place. I now have four yaks and am always looking at all the new stuff...Santawhatever Raptor (said in a Homer Simpson donut voice);so allI have to say to D&J is thanks ,its been fun!
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

Well evidently you stopped by and asked them about all these kayaks and fishing stuff, or you asked on here. That's a really sad, sad story about how now you've got all this stuff; I really feel for you. But, I've got a suggestion; tell me where you live, I'll come poick it all up, and you'll never have to worry about it again! :D
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

i have found that being realistic abut the conditions is way more beneficial to both parties. we tell everyone exactly how it is gonna be out there, then if they still wanna go, they understand the challenge.

and thanks for the kind words about the service....i have spent years training jennifer in customer service....jk

c-dawg, you only got four boats....so sad...hahahahh

yaknfly, that was me....ridiculous wind that day......great upper body workout...

KK, you like wind.........where you been????
bogdog
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by bogdog »

Steve...nice screen name. I spent some time at TCU (99-02). Give me a shout if you ever make it galveston way. we have a pretty strong fly fishing group here as well.....

as for dean and jennifer, they are always a class act.
~windknot~

Post by ~windknot~ »

I agree completely. We made the trip down to Port A last week and Dean called us Thursday to let us know that the conditions out there were pretty rough and we could either go Friday as planned or reschedule. We're going to try to make it down later this Fall instead. I really appreciated that. Thanks Dean.
slowride
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by slowride »

i'm pretty sure we all made the right call on this one.......redemption is going to be rain this week and a beautiful friday for the casting for the cause event.....

then we can get back to frying in the regularly scheduled summer....
MRSRIDE
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by MRSRIDE »

Very kind words, thank you recognizing our sacrifice ... and believe me I didn't want to... you weren't the only one we canceled... one day is bad enough but when it goes three or four days - ouch. Anyway my theory is if we let our clients go out in conditions like this and they die (or get close to it) we won't get any repeats.

:D 8) :wink:
Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston, Tx Sharpstown . . . . OK Drifter - WS Ride 135 & WS T160i

Post by Pablo »

Went with Dean and a big guy named Ray in April of 2010.

We fished hard but didn't do to well, so Dean gave us a discount for future use and I'm already perhaps sharing too much. We had some wind issues the day we went but just the day prior or so it was really blowing like 25-30-ish mph.

Non-the-less guiding is a hard business, a business which is typically not the best vehicle for early retirement.

I was laid off later that year but am on the rebound and honestly look forward to another session with Slowride.

He' shares his fishing techniques and knowlege of the LLL and really has a pretty humorous demeanor for the most part.

Now I'm not saying Dean should make a go for the Republican Presidential nomination, but just sayin' Jennifer and Dean are good peeps.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

MRSRIDE wrote:Very kind words, thank you recognizing our sacrifice ... and believe me I didn't want to... you weren't the only one we canceled... one day is bad enough but when it goes three or four days - ouch. Anyway my theory is if we let our clients go out in conditions like this and they die (or get close to it) we won't get any repeats.

:D 8) :wink:
You all are good eggs! Billy Sandifer does the same thing at his expense. He had a group that wanted to go out on Saturday down the beach and he begged and pleaded with them telling them not to go. The surf was yoohoo colored and they flogged all day and caught nothing. BUT he gave them every opportunity to not suffer just as you all do! :P