What to do in lightening ?

another bob

What to do in lightening ?

Post by another bob »

On Memorial Day weekend I found myself in an uncomfortable situation ... and my first thought was... "better ask for advice on TKF (again!)"

About an hour paddle from takeoff spot, and away from any structures, houses, etc a storm snuck up across the bay... so I finally decided it best to head in. As I began to paddle, I realized the storm was heading right for me, and the lightning was intensifying by the minute. The race was on. I guess I left just in time because as I got within a few hundred yards of takeout, the black cloud had caught me, and the downpour was on me.

If I had been caught by the lightening storm sooner, what would be my best course of action ?
My thought was to land the boat and get away from the water, sit in a field and wait it out....

Any advice is appreciated (for next time...)

Thanks
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: What to do in lightening ?

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Yep been there before. Got caught fishing out of POC once.

Lightening is a serious threat and you will most likely experience some serious wind gust as well. You need to HUNKER DOWN. Find a convenient shoreline, beach your yak (take rods down, duh) and ride it out. I was fortunate that I had a small light tarp to wrap up in. The good new is that these intense storms are usually short in duration. Use your best judgement when trying to make a run for it. Depending on you kayak and experience, you will probably average no more than 3 mph. Most of these storms are moving much faster than that, do the math. LOOKN4REDS
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

Awhile back there was a topic when a man on Mustang Island was struck (I believe indirectly) and killed. I was but a mile or two in the water when I saw that lightening cloud to ground hit. I put my wife in a duckblind just to get off the water. Try doig a search on Port A fatality??
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

5moreminutes wrote:Awhile back there was a topic when a man on Mustang Island was struck (I believe indirectly) and killed. I was but a mile or two in the water when I saw that lightening cloud to ground hit. I put my wife in a duckblind just to get off the water. Try doig a search on Port A fatality??
First of all avoid thunderstorms while kayaking.

If caught in a storm here's what the Coast Guard recommended--I called them with the same question a couple of years ago.
1. Lay all your rods down or place them inside your kayak, paddle as well.
2. Turn off all your electronics (VHF, Phone, Fishfinder, GPS, etc.) after you notify someonoe of your position and situation.
3. If possible get to shore, get away from your kayak, and stay as low as possible.
4. If you're offshore you may want to anchor, or you'll drift with the wind, waves, and current.

If you do all the above, the risk of lightening striking a plastic kayak low to the water is less likely. But nothing is guaranteed...

Like LOOKN4REDS said, "do the math." Most kayakers paddle ~3mph in ideal conditions. When the wind and waves pick up you may be slower, or faster depending on the direction. If you're paddling in a cross wind situation without a rudder you'll have an even greater workout.
fishingchef

Post by fishingchef »

Definitely beach the kayak, put the rods down, and get away from the kayak.

In Boy Scouts (I'm an Eagle Scout) they taught us to get into a clearing away from highs structures, trees, etc. and if in the middle of the lightning storm, hunker down with your butt being the highest point of your body. The thinking being that if the lightning does strike you it hits something not as vital as your head.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

fishingchef wrote:In Boy Scouts (I'm an Eagle Scout) they taught us to get into a clearing away from highs structures, trees, etc. and if in the middle of the lightning storm, hunker down with your butt being the highest point of your body. The thinking being that if the lightning does strike you it hits something not as vital as your head.

Now that's taking one in the ....!
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

You need to limit the current delivered by the bolt of lightning.

This may be difficult, the folks in the know tend to agree that the best way is to protect the organs that are most sensitive to the lightening are the heart and or brain... two critical operational units in a human being.

Squat down if possible on non-conductive material, sand is a good insulator.

If the lightning does not hit you directly, then it can only pass from one leg to another, since you are squatting. The path will be up one leg through the thigh, through the groin (ouch!) and then down through the other thigh to the ankle and on to earth. The heart and brain are out of the main path of current.

Laying on the ground, the path could take a route from your feet out through the chest, or vice versa, neither being good for Ventricular fibrillation or V-fib as the medical folks term it.

A lightning bolt can carry 10,000 to 100,000 Amps and 1/10th of one amp can induce V-fib.

That being said, not that many people die in Texas of lightning, I just as soon would try to avoid it, and would probably get inside my Sit inside kayak on sandy ground near the shoreline, at least the plastic will protect me from most anything but a direct hit.

Ionization and focal points for ion charge build-ups are not necessarily relative to the distance an object protrudes from the ground. That being said, I would absoutely stay as close to ground as possible.
Last edited by Joe Guilbeau on Sun May 31, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Switch to a tandem kayak and always take someone taller than you fishing.
Goofnoff

Post by Goofnoff »

Same lesson I learned with fog last year, as soon as I see it coming, my ace is heading in the direction of the truck!
Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chaz »

Thanks to Joe for a lot of good advice!

I've had two close calls. I've decided that the best defense is a good offense. Watch the weather and even if you're catching fish, look over your shoulder for approaching weather. And get out while the getting's good. Trying to put a kayak on top of your car with 50 mph winds blowing will tear up you, the kayak, and car.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

really good stuff - Joe !! :D