drift socks?

Texas Troutbum

drift socks?

Post by Texas Troutbum »

New yakker, tried to post this several times, to no avail.

I'll try again.

Just ordered a Tarpon 120. Want to get a drift sock. Which size should I get for saltwater and freshwater fishing? How much and where? (I live near Dallas)

Tight lines,

Tx T-bum
Jetboy

Academy has them...

Post by Jetboy »

Tx T-bum,
I got mine at Academy. It was there smallest size (24") and works fine so far. Bought a float,snap swivel and 15' of rope as well. Haven't tried it out in the flats yet but works good in deeper water. Good Luck with the new yak !
chasin_tails

Post by chasin_tails »

Same here got the one at Academy, the small one. Under $10
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

I've got a 24"- it's a left-over from my last little power boat- the 36" went with the big power boat.
If I can find somebody that wants to take my 24" off my hands I'm going to get the 18". Academy has them, Boat US, West Marine etc.....
I rig mine with a 3' rope with a snap swivel. I clip it to a padeye just behind my right hip- I'm right-handed and cast across the left bow side of the boat in a drift. I like the short rope and small sock so I can grab it and throw it behind me quick when I want to take off or I need to move.
Flavio
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flavio »

I use a 24", but that's because I drift side ways. I like drifting side way a bit more then lenghtwise. But, when you drift sideways, you get pushed a little more than lenghtwise. A physics thing, you know. If I want to slow then I'll just reattach. Hope that helps.
Texas Troutbum

Post by Texas Troutbum »

Anybody know if the Academy stores in the D/FW area carry these drift socks?

Tx T-bum
Blindcasting

Post by Blindcasting »

I can't imagine they wouldn't have them, but if not I was at the Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine Mills today and they had them there for about the same price as Academy.
boxybru

Post by boxybru »

Hmm quite a DFW group hey texastrout, blindcast, yaqui we all need to get togeter and try out the socks in different positions to see what is best at different times and currents.
FLYYAK

socks

Post by FLYYAK »

Ain't a more useful tool than a good sock.I've wore a few out. Kinda afraid to use them in lakes but for open water schoolies they would be the ticket..I have always used about 20' of line,but I will have to try what Capt.Jack does with the shorter line soonds good.
Blindcast

Post by Blindcast »

boxybru - I actually live in SA, but was in DFW for a wedding this weekend. Visiting Bass Pro Shops makes staying with the in-laws somewhat bearable.
boxybru

Post by boxybru »

Ok BC, wish u would have said something about being in the area! Or did I miss it, it would have been nice to meet you.