Visit to the Bolivar Peninsula (11-25-08)

skfullen

Visit to the Bolivar Peninsula (11-25-08)

Post by skfullen »

I don't know which forum this should be in, but the wife and I made a trip to High Island, Gilchrist, and the rest of the peninsula today. In spite of the news footage and my eyewitness helicopter tour over LaPorte, Kemah, Seabrook, and San Leon, I was not prepared for what I saw.

Total devastation is the only way to describe it. A nuclear explosion could not have done more damage. And this is after two months of cleanup. There are still vehicles buried in the sand along TX 87. There isn't a single business in operation between High Island and Point Bolivar. There is no electric, no gas - no services of any kind.

I'm speechless.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I have a feeling many business that operated on the Bolivar Peninsula will never return. :(
redfishgirl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by redfishgirl »

You always see the news make stories worse than they are, but bolivar is worse than you could ever imagine! I agree the cars burried in the sand choked me up last week. And for any who had eaten an awesome burger at rollover bait camp to see it literally wiped clean is humbling to say the least! My heart goes out to all that lost everything.
Trailblazer

Post by Trailblazer »

Thanks for the report. It gives a better idea of just how devastating that storm surge was. I would like to see some pics of the debris field stacked up along the north shore of the bay. If they were posted I missed them.
BullyARed
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Visit to the Bolivar Peninsula (11-25-08)

Post by BullyARed »

We had a house in Crystal Beach and it's now just a memory. I stayed over late one evening last week and the area like a cemetary, ghost town. I was at the north jetty and it's so eery! You couldn't find a soul on the beach. It's not the same. The beach is totally changed. It will be a long time to recover.
Scubasteve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Scubasteve »

FYI....Check out the BTB section. JR may put together a little tourney that will benefit something Bolivar related, like rebuildbolivar.com/org/net. It pains me to see and hear about Bolivar. It is a favorite to many of us inshore and offshore. Even if I cannot participate in whatever JR puts together, my family will most likely enter/donate/give to whatever organization will benefit from this little shin-dig.

sS
Flyflicker

Post by Flyflicker »

Yes, The area got hit REALLY hard. People are re-building. The Tiki Bar has been up and running for awhile now. They even have live music on the weekends. Seaside lumber is open and the post office will be back to Bolivar next thursday.This is great news since we have driving to Winnie to get our mail.I just got running water 5 days ago and I'll get electricity next week! Can't wait to stop using the generator! Now I need to build some stairs up to the front door. Been using a ladder.
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Flyflicker,

You're a real trooper! You make me appreciate so much what I often take for granted. May God bless you and your rebuilding efforts. And also everyone who sustained loss during Hurricane Ike.

Mrs. B
Renfish
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Renfish »

That's great to hear FlyFlicker! Running water and electricity are things that most of take for granted. As Mrs. B. said, you are a real trooper!

Glad to also hear that some business are opening up. Please keep us posted on what is open and where they are located. We will probably start fishing that area again in the next few weeks and would love to give whoever is open some business.
Prankster Minnow

Post by Prankster Minnow »

Good to hear about the TIKI bar. Our place was directly across 87 from there about half ways down West Ln. You could hear the music at our cabin when there was a north wind.

Bully mentions the "ghost town" element. I will second that. I have never seen Crystal Beach so quiet, even in the off season. It was kinda strange.

No worries! We will be rebuilding and be back before you know it.
Flyflicker

Post by Flyflicker »

Mrs. B, I've been thinking alot about how much we take for granted. I actually feel very lucky that wee still have saveable beachhouse. My heart goes out to all that lost everything. I heard the other day that around 3500 homes were lost along the peninsula. I here lots of stories over coffee at the Tiki. The big grocery store will be back but who knows how long. Just a convience store with gas would be nice.
God bless the people bringing in food , ice and cleaning supplies. It's made a big difference for many.
I'm up visiting my family in Willis----my only online source at the moment so i'll report when I can Renfish.
Prankster, alot of people will rebuild so come on back --it IS too quiet down here