Night fishing the canal lights

Floundapounda122

Night fishing the canal lights

Post by Floundapounda122 »

I’ve fished the lights for a few years now and I usually use the curly tail grub from gulp but that seems to pick up way too many sand trout. I know sometimes the sandtrout are unavoidable but what are some good lure recommendations for fishinf the canal lights? I’ve heard good things about down south and yo zuri.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Night fishing the canal lights

Post by shoffer »

Floundapounda122 wrote:I’ve fished the lights for a few years now and I usually use the curly tail grub from gulp but that seems to pick up way too many sand trout. I know sometimes the sandtrout are unavoidable but what are some good lure recommendations for fishinf the canal lights? I’ve heard good things about down south and yo zuri.
Yozuri 3DS minnow 2.75 inch and Lele’s are deadly. Small tandems also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Floundapounda122

Post by Floundapounda122 »

shoffer wrote:
Floundapounda122 wrote:I’ve fished the lights for a few years now and I usually use the curly tail grub from gulp but that seems to pick up way too many sand trout. I know sometimes the sandtrout are unavoidable but what are some good lure recommendations for fishinf the canal lights? I’ve heard good things about down south and yo zuri.
Yozuri 3DS minnow 2.75 inch and Lele’s are deadly. Small tandems also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you sir! What colors in the 3ds would you recommend?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I use Berkley Shad Swim Bait in 2" and 3" in tandem. Match the bait you see in the lights to get a strike. Also let your bait drop 1 second for each foot of depth and let the lure go to the bottom and then reel in slowly keeping the bait low in the water to get the bigger ones. :wink:
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Any of the Holographics, but Ghost Shad is good. Check out all the colors available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Yo-Zuri-F1135-HG ... 30950&th=1
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Tsunami SS3 soft baits are great - blue back is my favorite for night.
Also TTF super shad rig.
Glow works great at night. Also TSL grasswalker in bone diamond-glow.
Another good small hard bait for casting a long way and getting down quick are Hogy's 3/8-oz epoxy jigs, which come in glow and great prismatic colors, including purple, blue and a blend of purple and blue - they have a stinger treble hook.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Tsunami swim shad in 2” if you can find them. Deadly when made into a tandem rig.
TTF tandem shad rigs in glow
Yo zuri crystal minnow
Tsunami 3” are easier to find. Also deadly as a tandem rig.
I just picked up some 2” shad at Cabela’s last night (not Tsunamis but looked good) and will try on the next outing
impulse

Post by impulse »

Currently staying in Sea Isle, and experimenting with some different lights (green vs white) off the back deck, I recently went from getting all follows and no hits with normal sized baits (soft, hard, big streamers) to catching a lot more of the followers with a tiny 1-1/2" white swimtail grub on a 1/64 oz jig head. I also went to 4-6# line, but I'm not sure which variable made the difference between getting rejected and getting hit.

If I can keep my eyes open long enough some evening this week, I'll try what worked like a champ back in October, which was a tiny white crappie jig fished under a popping cork. October, it was reds. Now it's trout.

I'm gonna miss Sea Isle when it's time to leave in a few months... But there's just something decadent about having so many fishing opportunities that sleeping takes precedence...
bones72

Post by bones72 »

You mentioned streamers. This is what I am tying up for under the lights if ever get the opportunity.
Add description
Add description
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

On the Bite Me podcast, Captain Scott Null recommends a small fly under a small clear bobber. The bobber is to help you cast it.

Also the small crappie minnow swimbaits in clear with some flake in them from Bobby Garland were recommended.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

bones72 wrote:You mentioned streamers. This is what I am tying up for under the lights if ever get the opportunity. dock lights flies.jpg
here are my most productive, but with schoolie action, small high-ties work well also.
I recommend fishing an intermediate sinking line so you can count down to depth.
these are small, size 6 hooks
bones72

Post by bones72 »

The flies I tied are also on #6 hooks (mustad 34007) except the zonkers. They are on a tiemco #8 that's 3x long; don't remember the model number. They are probably just one trip flies for the salt.